Runcam 2 4K Shroud Mount

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arpak

Reaction score
Fusion360_QAYMq4qT2B.pngFusion360_i76OpQ1AWi.png

Hello everyone, I've spent the last couple of months working on a Runcam 2 4K shroud for my universities SAC 2 stage project; we put one camera on each stage with the booster stage facing upwards. The shroud is 3D printed in a couple of parts that bolt together using 2 M4x18 bolts. There are two versions of the shroud, I call them "Down Mount" and "Up Mount". The "Down Mount" is the more standard variant, the camera slides in and out from the opening in the front and clicks into place using the sled that came with it. The "Up Mount" is a bit more special; the central portion that the camera slides into is shorter and there is a shroud that bolts in front of the camera using 2 M2x12 bolts, this allows the shroud to be mounted facing upward in flight. Both have a 5 degree upward tilt that allows the video to not be 1/3 body tube.

Runcam includes an orange sled that I designed around. I figured Runcam knows their camera dimensions and retention better than I ever will. Using the included sled allows the runcam to be easily removed by pushing on the back of it with a small tool (I use the back of tweezers, but a flathead could also do it). With the "Down Mount" no unbolting is required to get the camera out. You can see the little slot for that in the image below, there are also cut outs that line up with the power/wifi buttons; all operations are possible without removing the camera. Theres also a little space in the back that may allow you to hook a usb cable into the camera while its attached although I haven't tested that.
Fusion360_PAdq85CP6p.png
Fusion360_ShDuMyDYT4.png

I intend to release all STLs for this project here and possibly on thingiverse. Right now its designed to fit on the outside of a 5.5" blue tube, I'd like to make versions for as many body tube diameters as possible. I'll get some posted with diameters I think are most common, however if there is a specific diameter you want please let me know and I'll post that as well. The following post in this thread will contain a table with all of the files needed, as well as an assembly guide (once I make it).

For now, here's footage of our 2 stage launch last saturday using these shrouds. Unfortunately the sustainer didn't light, so its more of a complicated single stage. ;)

Attachments

• Fusion360_ITOko7AElD.png
    Fusion360_ITOko7AElD.png
    45.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Fusion360_jg6ybGwo2z.png
    Fusion360_jg6ybGwo2z.png
    99.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Fusion360_vpvHqNC1mH.png
    Fusion360_vpvHqNC1mH.png
    152 KB · Views: 18
  • Fusion360_O9SOYaeT4k.png
    Fusion360_O9SOYaeT4k.png
    109.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Fusion360_bK4fPnIi0t.png
    Fusion360_bK4fPnIi0t.png
    148.7 KB · Views: 29

sizes.gif

File Repository
Body Tube DiameterDown MountUp Mount
2.21" BT-70*GofileGofile
2.60" BT-80*GofileGofile
3.0"GofileGofile
4.0"GofileGofile
5.5"GofileGofile
6.0"GofileGofile
7.5"GofileGofile
8.0"GofileGofile
*Indicates I think it would look ridiculous on this small of a body tube but go for it.

Assembly Instructions (WIP)

Printing

The shroud is designed to be easy to print, the only part that needs supports is the facade on the up mount and none of them require any raft or skirt. Shown below is the orientations they were designed to print it, its probably possible to print them differently but that's up to you. I've used down to 6% infill on the parts, you could go higher if you want more rigidity at the expense of print time and weight. If you are wanting to attach it using the plugs, make sure to print 2 of them. I believe Runcam ships the camera with 2 different varieties of sled, one of them has the two holes intended for airsoft mounting and the other doesn't. If you don't have the airsoft mounting holes your options are to purchase it, glue the sled in place, or just live with it (The sleds click nicely into place, if you're using the upmount you probably don't need to worry much).

Cura_yLoozLXmBB.png

Printing the Facade with Supports (Cura)
Cura has a neat trick that allows you to specify which models print with supports, you can either print each part separately or save some time and use this trick.

After arranging the models as shown above go to the support section on the right side of Cura. We'll be setting up the parameters for the supports and then disabling them globally. Just follow along, it'll make sense at the end :). Your support section should look something like this;

Cura_4bJsTCaEZo.png
Specifically these,
Support Structure: Normal
Support Placement: Touching Buildplate
Enable Support Roof: Yes

The rest shouldn't matter too much and will vary depending on your printer. (Keep in mind some of these settings may need to be unhidden).

After setting up the support settings, untick "Generate Support" to disable it globally, now lets enable it for only the facade.

Left click on the facade to select it, choose the second to last button on the left side to determine the Mesh Type.
Cura_NXf2OPHgzV.png

Then, click on Select Settings, filter for "Generate Support", and tick the box. Close this window and tick the newly added option under Mesh Type to Generate Support.
Cura_Dhrie9WtMO.png

Viola! You should now be able to slice like normal and only the facade will generate the needed supports.

Physical Assembly
WIP

Last Updated: 6/28/2021 9:30CDT

Last edited:
Populated the list in the file repository with what I believe to be the most common body tube sizes, if anyone has a diameter they want that isn't listed let me know and I'll add it (ah the beauty of parametric designs).

Sorry about that, I think the links expired. I'll upload a zip with all the files directly to the forum in the morning.

Here is a zip file with all of the variants and sizes, I don't think I am able to edit the original post and add it there.

Attachments

• Runcam Shroud.zip
    5.9 MB · Views: 92
View attachment 470707View attachment 470706

Hello everyone, I've spent the last couple of months working on a Runcam 2 4K shroud for my universities SAC 2 stage project; we put one camera on each stage with the booster stage facing upwards. The shroud is 3D printed in a couple of parts that bolt together using 2 M4x18 bolts. There are two versions of the shroud, I call them "Down Mount" and "Up Mount". The "Down Mount" is the more standard variant, the camera slides in and out from the opening in the front and clicks into place using the sled that came with it. The "Up Mount" is a bit more special; the central portion that the camera slides into is shorter and there is a shroud that bolts in front of the camera using 2 M2x12 bolts, this allows the shroud to be mounted facing upward in flight. Both have a 5 degree upward tilt that allows the video to not be 1/3 body tube.

Runcam includes an orange sled that I designed around. I figured Runcam knows their camera dimensions and retention better than I ever will. Using the included sled allows the runcam to be easily removed by pushing on the back of it with a small tool (I use the back of tweezers, but a flathead could also do it). With the "Down Mount" no unbolting is required to get the camera out. You can see the little slot for that in the image below, there are also cut outs that line up with the power/wifi buttons; all operations are possible without removing the camera. Theres also a little space in the back that may allow you to hook a usb cable into the camera while its attached although I haven't tested that.
View attachment 470702
View attachment 470703

I intend to release all STLs for this project here and possibly on thingiverse. Right now its designed to fit on the outside of a 5.5" blue tube, I'd like to make versions for as many body tube diameters as possible. I'll get some posted with diameters I think are most common, however if there is a specific diameter you want please let me know and I'll post that as well. The following post in this thread will contain a table with all of the files needed, as well as an assembly guide (once I make it).

For now, here's footage of our 2 stage launch last saturday using these shrouds. Unfortunately the sustainer didn't light, so its more of a complicated single stage. ;)

Looks great.

curious, with the lens of the camera exposed, do you have any problems with scratches to the lens? I’m debating trying to make a clear lens cover of some sort, but not sure if needed.

thanks!

Looks great.

curious, with the lens of the camera exposed, do you have any problems with scratches to the lens? I’m debating trying to make a clear lens cover of some sort, but not sure if needed.

thanks!

Haven't had an issue with scratches yet, although I kept telling myself it came with a spare and replacement lenses are cheap. The benefit of Runcam starting as drone FPV cameras is they understand the adage "**** happens".

Yes, the camera landed in cow poop.

Haven't had an issue with scratches yet, although I kept telling myself it came with a spare and replacement lenses are cheap. The benefit of Runcam starting as drone FPV cameras is they understand the adage "**** happens".

Yes, the camera landed in cow poop.
I was thinking of using microscope slide covers. They are clear and dirt cheap. @neil_w ?

I was thinking of using microscope slide covers. They are clear and dirt cheap. @neil_w ?

I actually made a forward facing shroud design for the 808 cameras that used a slide of plexiglass to protect it and act as a windshield, the reason I didn't on this one was limited FOV. I really wanted to get as much view out of the Runcam as possible, and with like 145 degrees of view you basically have to just shove the lens out and hope.

Great design! I printed this last night and am just now fiddling with it.

One question, though. Once the camera is snapped into place in it's mount, how to you get it out again? It doesn't look like there's clearance to depress the clip. Or do I have a defective airsoft mount?

Great design! I printed this last night and am just now fiddling with it.

One question, though. Once the camera is snapped into place in it's mount, how to you get it out again? It doesn't look like there's clearance to depress the clip. Or do I have a defective airsoft mount?

I personally use the back end of some tweezers and stick it into the rectangular hole below the power button. This let's you lever the camera out. It seemed to me like the most elegant solution, I'm not sure how I'd make the clip accessible without removing the shroud.

I personally use the back end of some tweezers and stick it into the rectangular hole below the power button. This let's you lever the camera out. It seemed to me like the most elegant solution, I'm not sure how I'd make the clip accessible without removing the shroud.

That works great. Thanks!

Any reason the unmount couldnt/shouldn't be used facing down? I prefer the finished look of the unmount.

Any pictures of these mounted to a rocket?

No reason at all, although it does obstruct the view slightly around the edges. The shape of the shroud was heavily intended to limit this obstruction as much as possible.

I have a photo of the down mount handy, looking to see if I have a photo of the up mount anywhere... I so have an example of what each camera can see during a launch.

IMG_20210618_203041_262.jpgIMG_20210618_203041_232.jpg

Launch Video:

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation and images. I'll likely print up both designs and see which I prefer the look of.

Is 8" as large as you can go with this design? I just picked up a 10" Nike Smoke kit so figured I'd ask.

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation and images. I'll likely print up both designs and see which I prefer the look of.

Is 8" as large as you can go with this design? I just picked up a 10" Nike Smoke kit so figured I'd ask.
I can dig up the cad files and generate up a 10" version when I get back to my desktop if you'd like.

Do you have the exact OD?

Let me get an actual measurement before you go through the trouble. It's a Polecat kit that is preglassed paper tube so I'm not sure what the exact OD is. Thanks in advance though!

Printing this as I type, but I’m not understanding how the housing mounts to the tube. Epoxy?

Back