Rum Runner

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepe Le Pew

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Guys, a friend of mine gifted me a bottle of Barrilito Rum from Puerto Rico. It came in a cardboard tube and the lightbulb came on. Let's build a rocket using the tube. I made a transition on my 3d printer, used a 38mm motor tube and the rum tube with a 3d printed nosecone. I also CNC cut a set of fins and did a through the tube install. Paint comes next and then launch! Keep scratching!

Attachments

• 20230226_115413.jpg
    20230226_115413.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I hope (and I expect) the paint job will not cover up the original cardboard tube the bottle was in. What are you thinking paintwise for the rest?

Hi BABAR, I plan on installing a rail button on the tube and one on the fin. It should be interesting!
I've seen a launch lug on a fin, but never a rail button. How do you plan to do that? Flay away rail guides on the large section would be another option, even though that puts them higher than usual. I've been thinking for a while about fly away guides with and integral stand-off distance between the cradle and the buttons.

And now my mind drifts to: "Are there NAR rules about F.U.I."
Not in the safety code (I just checked) so I guess it's OK, right? ;) (Actually, my home club has "no alcohol if you're launching" as an explicit rule.)

Hi jqavins, I plan on using the colors of the P.R. Flag, red, white and blue. No, I will not cover the original tube art on the Rum Runner. As far as the rail button, it will be mounted on the fin with a 3d printed stand-off type of device.

Back