Rule of Model Rocketry No. 226: Do Not Fly on July 4th. The Cops Do Not Know the Difference Between Model Rockets and Fireworks

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The local constables, in many areas, do not distinguish between model rockets and illegal fireworks. It’s July 4th. Use common sense.
How condescending. What makes you think we need you to tell us to use common sense?

The local constables, in many areas, do not distinguish between model rockets and illegal fireworks. It’s July 4th. Use common sense.
Your cops enforce fireworks bans? They don't around me.

I wanted to do some ground testing today because no one would give me grief, but I'm visiting my 96-year-old grandmother instead.

This did occur to me. My local club flies on some city owned property the first Sunday of every month, the first Sunday being July 3. I thought odds were better than 50-50 that we would have a visit but we didn't. We have been visited before by local officers but they figure out real quickly that we know what we are doing and we aren't launching fireworks then they leave.

At my local(ish) club site, the local constables know us, and have been known to bring us the ones that get away now and then. And to stay and watch one or two go up. There's no reason to think that would be any different on any given day of the year.

At a different club launch we once had the local fire marshal come out just when there was a small mishap and a fire in the grass. He saw five or six people rush out with fire extinguishers and big fire blankets, then said there was obviously no need for him to stick around.

Don't lump all law or fire enforcement officers into one basket. That's just common sense.

Latest posts

Back