RRC3 USB-IO - Comm Link problems

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim51

Reaction score
Hi all,

Ok, so on previous occasions I've programmed my RRC3 using the RRC3 and USB-IO powersource and the mDACS software with no problems. However, this time, when I connect up the USB-IO with my laptop, switch on, and launch the mDACS app, no 'Active Comm Port' appears in the Comm Link field or drop down. As a result, I cannot establish a connection with the RRC3.

Run through this several times, taken breaks, downloaded the latest mDACS, re-read the instructions and used a second set of eyes, so I'm reasonably sure it's not some obvious oversight that's the problem.

Has anyone else encountered this problem, or can anyone suggest a solution, please?

I don't know about USB, but I found with bluetooth that you had to connect within 5 seconds of powering up the RRC. I believe it is even stated in the documentation, but not in an obvious manner. You can try my routine for connecting and see if it works:
1. Launch mdacs, select the com port and hover the mouse button over connect.
2. Turn on the RRC3.
3. Immediately connect.

It kinda makes sense to do it this way if you think about it. You don't want your device wasting power polling the com port for a CPU connection during a flight.

I don't know about USB, but I found with bluetooth that you had to connect within 5 seconds of powering up the RRC. I believe it is even stated in the documentation, but not in an obvious manner. You can try my routine for connecting and see if it works:
1. Launch mdacs, select the com port and hover the mouse button over connect.
2. Turn on the RRC3.
3. Immediately connect.

It kinda makes sense to do it this way if you think about it. You don't want your device wasting power polling the com port for a CPU connection during a flight.

Thanks - yes, that's my routine also, and in the past it has worked. The problem recently is there's suddenly no com port visible on the mDACS interface. As you know, usually there's a visible option that you can toggle. Now there isn't. This is particularly strange and perplexing as it's a recent problem. Previously I've used the same PC, same routine and everything's been fine.

Thanks - yes, that's my routine also, and in the past it has worked. The problem recently is there's suddenly no com port visible on the mDACS interface. As you know, usually there's a visible option that you can toggle. Now there isn't. This is particularly strange and perplexing as it's a recent problem. Previously I've used the same PC, same routine and everything's been fine.
Do you have the bluetooth box checked? I'm going off of memory but I think that can cause the com ports to dissappear. Other than that all I can say is try rebooting, reinstalling mdacs or try another computer.

Do you have the bluetooth box checked? I'm going off of memory but I think that can cause the com ports to dissappear. Other than that all I can say is try rebooting, reinstalling mdacs or try another computer.
No, the bluetooth box was unchecked. I've also tried re-booting and reinstalling, but don't currently have another Windows based machine handy (my other laptops are Macs). Following a search here on TRF I also tried switching to Windows 8 but all I get is a message which reads 'Device Manager: driver managing USB device descriptor request failed due to a Code 43'.
Jim Amos has suggested trying PuTTY or some other basic terminal software. Life has got in the way of rocketry the past week or so so I've yet to sit down and look into that option.

Hmm, I wonder if it is a driver issue? Maybe try doing updates? Do you have multiple USB ports on your windows machine? Maybe try them all? Sorry i'm out of ideas. Good luck.
Also if you manage to connect through putty could you let me know? What address would you use to connect?

Hmm, I wonder if it is a driver issue? Maybe try doing updates? Do you have multiple USB ports on your windows machine? Maybe try them all? Sorry i'm out of ideas. Good luck.
Also if you manage to connect through putty could you let me know? What address would you use to connect?

Thanks. I'm a complete novice regarding putty so I didn't even realise I needed an address to use it. I'm not a software engineer so very much on a learning curve with this. Will let you know once I've had the chance to investigate.

Thanks. I'm a complete novice regarding putty so I didn't even realise I needed an address to use it. I'm not a software engineer so very much on a learning curve with this. Will let you know once I've had the chance to investigate.

I'm a hardware guy not software, and it's been a looooong time since I used putty. I went and looked it up, and it appears all you need to do is tell putty the com port you want to connect to. I have only used it in the past for ssh and telnet. Below is useful link on how to use putty for a com port. If you can successfully connect using putty then you can rule out hardware issues and focus only on software. I would suggest asking missileworks support for info on the baud rate and number of data and stop bits, but 9600 8 and 1 aren't a bad guess.

https://pbxbook.com/voip/sputty.html

Looking over my MW software notes, I see that I have a different set of 'connection instructions' for each of the 3 laptops that I use. NONE of them is 100% what the instruction manual says for either the RRC3 or my RTX.......and some days NONE of my notes work, either.

At least one of my computers I MUST have external battery power on the RRC3 for it to connect and leave the USB adapter 'off'.

For my 'no power' connection, this works (most of the time) on 2 of 3 machines:
Hook up Missile Works USB adapter and cable to computer
Turn USB adapter 'ON'
Boot MDACS
Identify COM PORT
Press 'HOST CONNECT' (timer starts)
Hook blue cable header to RRC3
"Connected"

Might just be an issue with playing around with the various order of operation and timing of the steps. One of my computers will NOT connect unless at least 9 seconds on the counter have elapsed after pressing 'HOST CONNECT'.

I've even had it work with 2 different orders of operation twice in a row.........
Makes zero sense to me.....but it is what it is.

Latest posts

Back