RRC3 Sport Opinions?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ccolvin968

Reaction score
So it's slowly becoming apparent to me that the Eggtimer is a bit over my head.
I can't seem to troubleshoot it properly, and I'm pretty sure I fried the board with too much heat at one point.

Anyway, I have been looking into other Dual Deployment computers and was wondering what peoples experience with the RRC3 Sport was.
It seems pretty user friendly with it only requiring the user to solder a couple wires to the board and only requires one battery.

Is it Mac compatible? I saw in the user manual that it uses a PC program, but wasn't sure if there was something else I could use.
If it's not compatible, what are some good DD altimeters that are right around this same price point that would allow me to use my Mac?
Any info is appreciated!

I don't recall needing to solder anything to the RRC3. It has screw terminals

RRC2+ and Stratologger CF are also good altimeters, inexpensive, and easy to use.

You may be able to get help with your Eggtimer here on the forum, or perhaps you can sell it as-is to someone who might enjoy trying to fix it.

The RRC3 Sport and Extreme models require no soldering period, and the only difference AFAIK is one uses a gel/liquid based cap (barrel style) and the other uses a solid capacitor (rectangular style, I use one of these). IIRC the RRC2+ also requires no soldering as they have screw terminals for battery, switch, and ematches.

I fly the RRC3 regularly, and really like it. No soldering, fly out right out of the box. No need to hook it to a computer at all if you are just doing basic DD. No idea if it is Mac compatible...

Sounds good to me.
So does it work with Mac computers or no?

According to Missleworks website the mDACs software works with WinXP, Win 7/8/10, and it DOES NOT list Mac. Missle works does offer an LCD for the RRC3 that will allow accessing the unit to review flight data, but for downloading the CSV type information it requires a computer connection.

What about setting the altitudes you want to deploy your drogue at, then the main?
Can you do that without connecting to a computer?
I can't seem to find it in the user manual.

Nothing simpler than an RRC2+, BTW. Pull it out of the box, stick it in the rocket and launch it.

I've only got a few flights in with my RRC3 but its worked great. I will say that, I find the 5-pin header cable that is used to connect the altimeter to the PC is a weak point. I have trouble getting consistent contacts with the pins and have no doubt that I will have to replace/rebuild this cable in the future.

RRC3 & the RRC2+ are the same altimeter..........

RRC2+ is just stripped down version, just basics & no downloading data or hooking up to ANYthing.No extra pyro channel. Just a simple easy to learn altimeter. Mach immune-no setting there to worry about.

Don't even need a manual. All settings are by tiny switch's [dip switch] and what they do is labeled on the board.
Stupid simple.

Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 7.42.39 PM.jpg

switch 1 . Hi or low tone for beeper. If using 2 altimeters, each can use different tone to tell them apart.

2. "0 or +1" using 2 altimeters set apogee at +1 on one of them. First altimeter fires charge at apogee, second one will fire +1 or 1 second later. No worries about 2 charges firing at same time.

3. main altitude at either 300ft or 800ft
4 add 200 ft to above choice..........300 +200 =500ft 800+200=1000ft

you can set main at 300-500-800 or 1000ft.

Fly it alone-no charges to get altitude only.

Fly dual deploy with charges.
works with standard 9v battery or 3.7-7.4 LiPo's

When turned on at pad- beeps continuity for both apogee & main charges, gives last flight altitude & battery voltage.

Sounds good to me.
So does it work with Mac computers or no?

I own both the Missileworks RRC3 and the Stratologger CF.

The RRC3 Requires Windows XP, Windows 7/8/10 with .NET 4.0 framework support if you want to connect the altimeter to a computer and graph the data. You don't need a computer to fly, and you do not need the computer to look at some of the data. The LCD is $40 additional to look at some data. You can also use the LCD to set-up the altimeter.

The Stratologger works with Windows AND Mac Os X. You don't have to connect to a computer, you can fly without.

Hope that helps.

I've only got a few flights in with my RRC3 but its worked great. I will say that, I find the 5-pin header cable that is used to connect the altimeter to the PC is a weak point. I have trouble getting consistent contacts with the pins and have no doubt that I will have to replace/rebuild this cable in the future.

tHoagland -

Your cable should not be a weak point... they are in fact quite robust IDC factory-prepped wires using the Hirose DF3 2mm standard. Your cable wires may have been improperly assembled into the connector housings. Please contact me for instructions on how to test and correct for this and/or a cable replacement. Part of our final test here includes connecting this cable to the altimeter while sitting on a bed on nails, and I've used the same cable over 2000 times in repeated test scenarios.

tHoagland -

Your cable should not be a weak point... they are in fact quite robust IDC factory-prepped wires using the Hirose DF3 2mm standard. Your cable wires may have been improperly assembled into the connector housings. Please contact me for instructions on how to test and correct for this and/or a cable replacement. Part of our final test here includes connecting this cable to the altimeter while sitting on a bed on nails, and I've used the same cable over 2000 times in repeated test scenarios.

Jim,

I appreciate the PMs about correcting my cabling issue. With your advice, I have no doubt that my cable problem will be solved. Thanks foe the fast customer support.

Back