RRC3 and RRC2+ Error

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
So, I'm home for the weekend on fall break. I decided to go ahead and power on my altimeters from my L3 flight, and see what altitude I actually got.

Unfortunately, when I power on the altimeters, they just start beeping a constant tone at a constant frequency. Any ideas? It isn't a POST error or fault, so I'm confused.

It happens on both my RRC3 and my RRC2+.

These altimeters spent about 3 weeks outside.

I'll post a video later.

Are you powering them via a computer, or a battery? Might be low voltage on the battery?

A sleepless night due to stomach flu can do that, Glen, but in this case I had lurked on the L3/Hyperion failure threads back when Matt posted them after LDRS. I just went back and looked, and didn't see that the lost had been found. Crazy Jim had made a range guesstimate. I was curious.

I missed the posts in other threads that it had been found.

Yep it was found. Pretty cool recovery story too. Curiosity Rover spotted it. Sandra Bullock tried to retrieve it but had some issues. Bruce Willis and his guy went and dug it up. (It had lake staked)
While up there they found Matt Damon and brought him back too. All is good now!

Tony

So, I'm home for the weekend on fall break. I decided to go ahead and power on my altimeters from my L3 flight, and see what altitude I actually got.

Unfortunately, when I power on the altimeters, they just start beeping a constant tone at a constant frequency. Any ideas? It isn't a POST error or fault, so I'm confused.

It happens on both my RRC3 and my RRC2+.

These altimeters spent about 3 weeks outside.

I'll post a video later.

By constant, do you mean continuous, or regular repetitions?

This probably doesn't help, but from the User Manual (2+):

POST Mode Fault Codes
Codes are preceded by a very distinct warning tone (7 very quick low beeps), followed by the beeping/flashing of the fault.
DO NOT FLY THE RRC2+ until the fault or warning is resolved and corrected.
Code Fault
1 Ambient Barometric Fault / Unstable conditions during Launch Commit Test
2 Barometric sensor Fault / No communication reply
3 Barometric sensor Fault / Prom CRC Mismatch
4 Barometric pressure Fault / Pressure < 10 mbar or > 1200 mbar
5 Temperature Fault / Temperature < -40 deg. C or > 85 deg. C
6 I/O Line Fault

Are you powering them via a computer, or a battery? Might be low voltage on the battery?
Nope, brand new battery.

I missed the posts in other threads that it had been found.

Yup! Found it about a month later.

Yep it was found. Pretty cool recovery story too. Curiosity Rover spotted it. Sandra Bullock tried to retrieve it but had some issues. Bruce Willis and his guy went and dug it up. (It had lake staked)
While up there they found Matt Damon and brought him back too. All is good now!

Tony
You forgot to include the part how Chuck Norris helped with recovery. ;)
By constant, do you mean continuous, or regular repetitions?

This probably doesn't help, but from the User Manual (2+):

POST Mode Fault Codes
Codes are preceded by a very distinct warning tone (7 very quick low beeps), followed by the beeping/flashing of the fault.
DO NOT FLY THE RRC2+ until the fault or warning is resolved and corrected.
Code Fault
1 Ambient Barometric Fault / Unstable conditions during Launch Commit Test
2 Barometric sensor Fault / No communication reply
3 Barometric sensor Fault / Prom CRC Mismatch
4 Barometric pressure Fault / Pressure < 10 mbar or > 1200 mbar
5 Temperature Fault / Temperature < -40 deg. C or > 85 deg. C
6 I/O Line Fault
It's not one of those warning codes, it doesn't have that 7 beeps beforehand. It's just quick beeping.

Stupid question, but the battery isn't plugged in backwards, right? Both RRC altimeters are doing the same thing?

Correct, both altimeters are doing the same beeping pattern. I'll try to post a video after dinner. And yes, I double checked polarity. :)

Did you measure the batt voltage, just to be sure? What if you plug the RRC3 into a computer- does it recognize it?

What kind of battery? I would try a fresh 9 volt.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

RRC2 beeped 95 (yes, 9 beeps, 5 beeps) RRC3 isn't beeping the altitude, it's just going into flight mode. And I can't find my dongle -_-

EDIT: found it. Altitude report incoming.

Last edited:
Yes, but we already knew that.

I'm proud to announce that Hyperion achieved an altitude of 7,666 feet at a max velocity of 815 feet per second. My new personal best!

Back