RRC2 Mini Problem

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSenesy

Reaction score
I flew my Hi-Tech today with my RRC2 Mini as the altimeter. The flight went fine, but when I retrieved the rocket, I noticed the altitude readout was alternating between low and high pitched beeps. When I got back to my truck, I explored a bit further. Any output from the altimeter is randomly switching between high and low pitched beeps. I've checked (and changed) the battery, tried using the other profile, as well as all of the diagnostic tests. Everything works fine, except for the beep frequency. I won't be using it again till I figure out what is going on, but was wondering if anyone has a similar experience? This was it's second flight, so it's relatively new. I didn't see any visual damage.

Thanks in advance.

Get in touch with Jim at MissileWorks -- he's typically very good about answering questions, and he'll be able to help you determine what's causing the tones you're hearing.

-Kevin

Stan, I don't have the manual in front of me but check this:

Was there any 0's in the altitude? I think it beeps a low tone either between total altitude before it repeats or the 0 may be a low tone.

I got so many different altimeters I can't keep them straight anymore. Just a thought.

Stan:
The Mini has the ability to change its beep tone, I do this when running redundant altimeterss to differentiatet between the two when arming.

As for the 0 tone it's pitch is the same although its a longer beep, Are the changing in tones consistent? Or is it a random high or low pitch every now and again? Maybe the piezo has a some dirt in it?

Stan:
The Mini has the ability to change its beep tone, I do this when running redundant altimeterss to differentiatet between the two when arming.

As for the 0 tone it's pitch is the same although its a longer beep, Are the changing in tones consistent? Or is it a random high or low pitch every now and again? Maybe the piezo has a some dirt in it?

It's almost regular with beeps alternating high-low just about every other beep.

I was thinking it might have been one of the configuration settings (alternate beep frequency, etc), but I checked all the settings against the PDF and it is configured correctly.

The av-bay is sealed up pretty tight (K&S 2.56" bay). There's no evidence of any BP residue or anything else in the bay. I looked closely at the altimeter and I can't see any physical damage either.

I'll give Missile Works a call on Monday to see if it needs repair. I'd hate to lose this one, it's a great little altimeter that is simple and reliable to use.

Thanks!

Stan, I don't have the manual in front of me but check this:

Was there any 0's in the altitude? I think it beeps a low tone either between total altitude before it repeats or the 0 may be a low tone.

I got so many different altimeters I can't keep them straight anymore. Just a thought.

The altitude was 2879 ft. If I remember right, this one gives a longer beep for a zero.

What's weird is the frequency changes are happening even in configuration mode when reading out the settings.

Stan -

Most likely it's the piezo speaker itself... it runs using an internal freq source, and what you're hearing is a result of that freq shifting... easily replaceable if you'd like it serviced. The low tone operation available via programming utilizes a DTMF effect, and it too would sound "shifted" if used.

Let me know via phone or email...

Stan:
Can't ask for better customer service than that.

Stan -

Most likely it's the piezo speaker itself... it runs using an internal freq source, and what you're hearing is a result of that freq shifting... easily replaceable if you'd like it serviced. The low tone operation available via programming utilizes a DTMF effect, and it too would sound "shifted" if used.

Thanks very much for replying.

I'm glad to hear that it's likely not serious. I'm going to order another one from your web site tonight so that I have a backup. When it arrives, I'll coordinate with you to send you the unit that's acting funny for repair.

You've got a great product! I've used both the Co-Pilot and now the RRC2 and have been very satisfied with the results.

Stan -

Thanks so much... send the "shifty tone" unit my way and I'll get a new piezo on there for you.
P.S. Finally was able to process orders today, and your new unit is "in the mail".

Back