Royce Frankum pads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have any pictures of the Big Pad or the pipe support rail?

I'm waiting on a shipping quote, before I order.

I'm also asking for no paint.

Two reasons for no paint

1. I don't have to try and match paint in the future.
2. I plan to make some additions/mods to the pad.

One addition is to make a rail mount that will fit my current rail that has a stiffener back.

Second addition, I have a 10' launch tower that I want to attach to the pad.

I talked to Royce and he commented on the new BIG pad, it will have 5 legs. I wasn't interested in a larger pad, so didn't pay much attention beyond that.

Once I have the pad, make my mods, I'll post a photo of my mods.

This pad isn't for the club, though anyone can use it, when I bring it to club launches.

Roy

Last edited:
I'm waiting on a shipping quote, before I order.

I'm also asking for no paint.

Two reasons for no paint

1. I don't have to try and match paint in the future.
2. I plan to make some additions/mods to the pad.

One addition is to make a rail mount that will fit my current rail that has a stiffener back.

Second addition, I have a 10' launch tower that I want to attach to the pad.

I talked to Royce and he commented on the new BIG pad, it will have 5 legs. I wasn't interested in a larger pad, so didn't pay much attention beyond that.

Once I have the pad, make my mods, I'll post a photo of my mods.

This pad isn't for the club, though anyone can use it, when I bring it to club launches.

Roy

I would love to see some pictures if anyone orders one.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 2023 (1).JPG
    2023 (1).JPG
    1,023.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 2023 (5).JPG
    2023 (5).JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 2023 (8).JPG
    2023 (8).JPG
    687.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 2023 (10).JPG
    2023 (10).JPG
    501.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 2023 (4).JPG
    2023 (4).JPG
    582.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I ordered a Tri-2 last month, Royce told me it would be three weeks before he could start on it, and it's right on schedule. He called me today, and that man can TALK! Took him a half an hour to tell me it's ready to ship. Shipping out on Tuesday, so it should be here for our next launch.
I had him add adjustable feet for an extra $25. We talked about re-inforcing the rail, but both of us agreed it was overkill. My Ultimate Darkstar weighs in under 80 lbs. loaded with a 6XL motor, what could go wrong?
o_O

I have the largest two pads. I am happy with them. It took a little longer than expected but good coms throughout.

We have a TRI-3, two TRI-2s and a TRI-1. Everyone in our club loves those pads because they’re so easy to load and there is no rail whip. I heartily recommend them!

Jim,
Just confirming, Are these pads showing the pipe-supported rail mod done by Royce like you mentioned earlier in the thread?
They look great! Nice job on the paint.

Keith
Yes, these are designed to take our pipe-supported rails. Thanks on the paint. We just want to protect them as best as we can.

Jim

My L3 rocket, on my modified Royce Frankum pad, with 12' rail. Everything worked like a charm. :)

Attachments

• DSC_1075L.jpg
    DSC_1075L.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Thanks

The legs are 66" each.

I got the XJ to pull my 179 R-Pod trailer to launches.

Works like a charm.

The XJ is great for chasing rockets in the bush, can't hurt it. :)

Roy

My Tri-2 was modified with a steel blast plate and adjustable feet. Did your pad come with the aluminum blast plate? I like the modified blast deflector, is it steel or aluminum?
It looks like you replaced the bolt to tilt the rail back with a push pin?

I modified the rail attachment. Longer and heavier construction.

The pad came with a steel blast plate.

The angled blast plate that I installed originally (first try) was 316 stainless and has been changed to a thicker A36 steel angled blast plate (1/4" from 10 gauge). The 10 gauge just did not hold up, it deformed. We'll see if 1/4" is rigid enough.

Other than the blast plate issue, everything work great.

Roy

Attachments

• 2023 (4).JPG
    2023 (4).JPG
    582.9 KB · Views: 1
I modified the rail attachment. Longer and heavier construction.

The pad came with a steel blast plate.

The angled blast plate that I installed originally (first try) was 316 stainless and has been changed to a thicker A36 steel angled blast plate (1/4" from 10 gauge). The 10 gauge just did not hold up, it deformed. We'll see if 1/4" is rigid enough.

Other than the blast plate issue, everything work great.

Roy
Yes, indeed. A beautiful piece of work.

Royce

Back