Rousetech 38mm reload question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim fustini

Reaction score
I am loading a I-161W into a Rousetech 38mm x 360 case.
I have loaded 29mm Rousetech motors many times.
I put the delay grain , fiber washers,O- rings,forward closure in place, all good.
Then the 3 grains.. when i try to put the fiber washer in the aft end it does not set flat against the grain. There is like a 1/8" gap I am afraid to put the nozzel and O-ring in and tighten down the aft closure ring. It is like the fiber washer is a little big on OD. It won't fit inside the liner (about a 1/8" longer than the grains.) Should I trim the liner flush to the grains?

Help please:confused:

Last edited:
According to the instructions, i would say that is normal, and no trimming should be done.
https://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/c...MS_Instructions/38mm/38_120-360w_in_20060.pdf

Notes from Step 2-9: It is normal if the grains rattle slightly inside the liner after tightening.

I know i've assembled a couple reloads similar to what you describe, somewhere between 1/16 and 1/8" gap. The grains rattled, when i shook the assembled motor. I expect the gap you describe, is what allows the rattling to take place. Reloads performed as expected.
Bob

Thanks, That is what it is doing. It never done that in the 29mm cases. I use CTI and LOKI for my larger rockets. This is my first time loading a Rousetec 38mm ( with Aerotech reload). did'nt know if this was normal.

Thanks, That is what it is doing. It never done that in the 29mm cases. I use CTI and LOKI for my larger rockets. This is my first time loading a Rousetec 38mm ( with Aerotech reload). did'nt know if this was normal.
The fiber washer sits on the end of the liner, not inside it against the grains.

As Rocketjunkie said, the washer sits against the liner, and grain rattling is normal. I'm surprised you haven't seen it with 29mm - I've definitely had 29mm AT loads that rattled. Don't worry about it at all. It should be fine.

Back