Rouse-Tech announces Animal Motor Works-compatible hardware

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddmobley

Reaction score
News Release by Rouse-Tech
Friday, August 31, 2007

SAN JOSE, California USA — In cooperation with AeroTech Consumer Aerospace and Kosdon Enterprises, Rouse-Tech™ will be releasing "Kosdon by Rouse-Tech™ (KBR™) Animal-Compatible™" hardware sets designed for use with the recently released Kosdon by AeroTech™ (KBA™) Animal-Compatible™ reload kits.

These hardware sets will be initially available in three sizes: 38-640, 54-2550 and 75-7600. The hardware will be certified with all six currently available KBA Animal-Compatible reload kits.

KBR Animal-Compatible hardware will be made to exacting specifications with the same level of quality customers have come to expect from Rouse-Tech. Like Monster Motors AeroTech-compatible closures, KBR casings will be hard anodized to protect against against corrosion and damage. Since AMW and Kosdon casings are manufactured to identical dimensional and material specifications, KBR cases may also be used with upcoming KBA reload kits, when combined with Kosdon-specific nozzles and forward bulkheads that may now be purchased from Kosdon Enterprises and will soon be available from Rouse-Tech.

KBR hardware can also be used with the recently released RCS Rocket Motor Components, Inc. KBA Animal-Compatible motor parts (casting tubes, liners and o-rings) for research applications.

More information will be available soon on the Rouse-Tech website at https://www.rouse-tech.com.

AMW is a trademark of Animal Motor Works, Inc.

Keep in mind that there are NO commercial reloads certified for these casings.

Actually, I don't know if there would be. The motors were certified in AMW cases, not KBR cases. The certification is propellant + case.

I have no doubt that AT will submit the motor for certification in a KBR case soon though. It only makes sense.

-Aaron

Yes there are.

Kosdon by Aerotech Animal Compatible loads.

Those loads are only certified in AMW casings. The certification paperwork from NAR S&T specifically says so. They will have to be recertified in the new casings.

On the other hand, if RouseTech makes the Kosdon closures and nozzles and Kosdon-length casings, with approval from Kosdon to his specs, they may not require recertification for true Kosdon loads. This was the policy for AT casings made to spec by Dr. Rocket, Monster, Rouse, etc.

If this makes no sense, and your head is spinning, you're not alone. ;)

As I am staying very clear of either side of the apparent battle to dominate the highest percentage of market share of hobby rocketry and high power rocketry by what ever means necessary and am not taking sides of either opponent, But nothing in all of this have I seen anything about nozzles?? Unless I missed it. Are they going to be the standard Aerotech phenolic nozzles or are they going to be graphite? I have carried Loki and AMW and I fly my own EX stuff and quality of the graphite used for the nozzles seems to be the main issue. How long do they last? as in how many flights? Are the KBA reloads going to include the graphite nozzle or will they be included if you buy the complete KBR motor. Scott

As I am staying very clear of either side of the apparent battle to dominate the highest percentage of market share of hobby rocketry and high power rocketry by what ever means necessary and am not taking sides of either opponent, But nothing in all of this have I seen anything about nozzles?? Unless I missed it. Are they going to be the standard Aerotech phenolic nozzles or are they going to be graphite? I have carried Loki and AMW and I fly my own EX stuff and quality of the graphite used for the nozzles seems to be the main issue. How long do they last? as in how many flights? Are the KBA reloads going to include the graphite nozzle or will they be included if you buy the complete KBR motor. Scott
"KBA Animal-Compatible reload kits fit in motors using Kosdon/Animal Motor Works™ (AMW™) motor cases with AMW nozzles and bulkheads."​

"KBA Animal-Compatible reload kits fit in motors using Kosdon/Animal Motor Works™ (AMW™) motor cases with AMW nozzles and bulkheads."​

I am well aware that they will fit excisting Kosdon/AMW everything.
So is that to say that you will not be able to abtain a nozzle from Aerotech or Rouse tech for there KBA and it's up to the consumer to supply there own nozzle from AMW to fly there KBA or turn there own?
So if a customer buys a new KBR hardware set and a KBA reload for that set, He/She still must buy a nozzle from AMW? Scott

I am well aware that they will fit excisting Kosdon/AMW everything.
So is that to say that you will not be able to abtain a nozzle from Aerotech or Rouse tech for there KBA and it's up to the consumer to supply there own nozzle from AMW to fly there KBA or turn there own?
So if a customer buys a new KBR hardware set and a KBA reload for that set, He/She still must buy a nozzle from AMW? Scott
From the first post:
"KBR cases may also be used with upcoming KBA reload kits, when combined with Kosdon-specific nozzles and forward bulkheads that may now be purchased from Kosdon Enterprises and will soon be available from Rouse-Tech."
I doubt very seriously if a user turned their own nozzle it would be considered certified.

Do I have this straight.

These motor cases are made for KBA loads but will not work with AT loads only RCS EX stuff?

Chuck

They work with KBA loads but not standard AT loads.

From the first post:
"KBR cases may also be used with upcoming KBA reload kits, when combined with Kosdon-specific nozzles and forward bulkheads that may now be purchased from Kosdon Enterprises and will soon be available from Rouse-Tech."
I doubt very seriously if a user turned their own nozzle it would be considered certified.

"I doubt very seriously if a user turned their own nozzle it would be considered" certified. ddm, That is a very good point

That makes little sense to me. Why bother?

Chuck

I believe that they will come out with some stuff in 29mm, where you will have to buy the kosdon by aerotech cases. For the other sizes, I agree: why bother?

The KBA loads are designed to work in AMW casings with AMW bulkhead and nozzle only. They will not work as designed with Kosdon nozzles and bulkheads. More importantly, they are not certified with any other combination than the complete AMW motor system.

Whenever RouseTech has compatible cases, the KBA loads will need to be recertified in the new cases. Graphite quality is a very important issue. So is the tolerance on nozzle/closure/oring/casing fit. Good graphite and drawn tubing are expensive.

Also, if RouseTech wants to sell these casings for use with AMW reloads, someone will have to get them recertified. It is my understanding that only a propellant manufacturer is allowed to submit motors for certification, not just someone who happens to make casings.

A longer-term issue is the liner quality. Will RouseTech (or AT?) give a warranty on the clone cases? The thinner, brittle liner plus the thin smoke grain insulation may heat-stress the case.

Did I see somewhere they are the one's who say if a motor twists you have to send it back to them in a sealed body bag? Like they don't believe they can fail? Or is the public their quality control? I wish my brain wasn't so old I could remember where I saw it. If it is true this is really off the deep end. I would have to get huge restitution for ALL damages if I get hassled by the man.

If it ain't true, then call me a dope and I'm feelin' fine.

Chuck

Did I see somewhere they are the one's who say if a motor twists you have to send it back to them in a sealed body bag? Like they don't believe they can fail? Or is the public their quality control? I wish my brain wasn't so old I could remember where I saw it. If it is true this is really off the deep end. I would have to get huge restitution for ALL damages if I get hassled by the man.

If it ain't true, then call me a dope and I'm feelin' fine.

Chuck

I think Gorilla is the motor vendor requiring peopel to send the entire motor (casing and all) back in the event of a failure.

The KBA loads are designed to work in AMW casings with AMW bulkhead and nozzle only. They will not work as designed with Kosdon nozzles and bulkheads. More importantly, they are not certified with any other combination than the complete AMW motor system.

Whenever RouseTech has compatible cases, the KBA loads will need to be recertified in the new cases. Graphite quality is a very important issue. So is the tolerance on nozzle/closure/oring/casing fit. Good graphite and drawn tubing are expensive.

Also, if RouseTech wants to sell these casings for use with AMW reloads, someone will have to get them recertified. It is my understanding that only a propellant manufacturer is allowed to submit motors for certification, not just someone who happens to make casings.QUOTE]

I'm not aware of Aerotech or Rouse-Tech submitting Monster Motor cases for certification with all the AT reloads. I wouldn't think Rouse-Tech would have to do it with the Animal loads either.

Andrew

Will someone again boil this down for me? Much discussion to weed through to decipher the info I'm looking for.

1) What are these cases good for? EX only? KBA?

2) Is there mention of future uses? AMW compatibility?

3) Is there any compatibility at all?

What I'm looking for is what RCS (AT) and RT are saying - NOT conjecture and pontification regarding cert rules. Thanks.

I'm not aware of Aerotech or Rouse-Tech submitting Monster Motor cases for certification with all the AT reloads. I wouldn't think Rouse-Tech would have to do it with the Animal loads either.

As far as I understand it. Aerotech supplied Rouse and Dr.Rocket with the exact specs for the motors and then had them machined in the same manner to the same specs. This makes them all functionally equivalent and certifying any of them qualifies as certifying all of them.

The same probably cannot be said for the Rouse KBA stuff - I doubt that Animal has provided specifications and I doubt that these are direct copies with no modification. The certification process from here (if any) with AMW is uncharted water as far as I can tell.

1) What are these cases good for? EX only? KBA?
EX and KBA after recertification with the RT cases.

2) Is there mention of future uses? AMW compatibility?
There is no mention of future use for AMW reloads. The RT cases with AMW reloads are not a certified combination.

3) Is there any compatibility at all?
The RT cases, I assume, will be made by reverse-engineering the AMW cases. Depending on materials and tolerances, they may or may not be equivalent. "Compatible" has several levels of meaning, from "yep, everything seems to fit"... to "licensed HW manufactured to original spec".

I think Gorilla is the motor vendor requiring peopel to send the entire motor (casing and all) back in the event of a failure.

Well then call me a dope, the brain is foggy. I get all this animal business mixed up nowadays.......maybe that's what they had in mind. :(

Chuck

Back