Rough surface on fiberglass layup

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketcharlie

Reaction score
Hi,

I rolled my own fiberglass body tube (I'm new at it). The part came out structurally sound but I'm not happy with the surface. In places it looks like the cloth is showing through. I'm thinking I should have put on a heavier coat of laminating resin on the outside before applying the peel ply. Am I correct in this?

That being said, can I paint a coat on now and then apply peel ply again? Will this produce an okay surface?

Thanks

This is after sanding.

Attachments

• 20210124_121314.jpg
    20210124_121314.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210124_121225.jpg
    20210124_121225.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 29
Ah yes that is lack of resin indeed, fiberglass loves resin and you should place loads of it in order to achieve a fine finish with the peel ply. Always insure peel ply is wetted out as well and also make sure that the peel ply has no wrinkles on it.

Yea, you didnt wet it out enough, You can just fill it in with another coat of laminating epoxy and sand it down again or if your painting it just use bondo and sand. I echo what Rek commented about making sure there arent any wrinkles, just if there are it isnt the end or the world.

All good lad, we are here to help to the best of our knowledge on this.

Back