Rotary Switch Failures?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I carry one tool out to the pads with me and its taped to the side of the rocket, a small phillips screwdriver, its kind of like a remove before flight pin. I have found screw switches to be very reliable and robust, the screw driver is the same rough size as a Remove before flight tag and pin.

I abandoned the Schurter Rotary switches long ago, for the very reasons that @cerving stated either in this thread or another one, they are intended to be used once and not touched again in most applications and so have a very short life when cycled on/off frequently.
I know. I read those posts. But there are plenty of others who have used them with a lot of success. I've cycled mine a bunch of times through testing already with no problems. And this rocket most likely will only be flown 2 or 3 times due to the increasing cost of propellant. So the reliability / longevity of the rotary switches is not what I'm asking about.

I know. I read those posts. But there are plenty of others who have used them with a lot of success. I've cycled mine a bunch of times through testing already with no problems. And this rocket most likely will only be flown 2 or 3 times due to the increasing cost of propellant. So the reliability / longevity of the rotary switches is not what I'm asking about.
They are also bulky and dont lend themselves easily to rockets less than 3" (yes you can use them in smaller rockets but space is already really tight), I am also adverse to risk, so why use something that was designed to have a limited lifecycle.

They are also bulky and dont lend themselves easily to rockets less than 3" (yes you can use them in smaller rockets but space is already really tight), I am also adverse to risk, so why use something that was designed to have a limited lifecycle.
It's fair to say that almost EVERYTHING we use has a limited life cycle (except maybe the reload cases, if they are taken care of), even the very rockets themselves.

Again, I'm not asking about the durability of the rotary switches. I think that's been adequately covered.

It's fair to say that almost EVERYTHING we use has a limited life cycle (except maybe the reload cases, if they are taken care of), even the very rockets themselves.

Again, I'm not asking about the durability of the rotary switches. I think that's been adequately covered.
Totally agree. It seems like I'm always doing "maintenance" on my rockets. I don't mind the maintenance, what I hate is when something breaks that prevents a flight and I have to bring it back home to fix.
At least with av-bay switches, you can usually clip the wires, run them out of the bay, use twist and tape, and still fly.

It’s a lot like everything else you see on the forum, some people love QT, they have their rocket for 30 years with 1,000 flights and zero issues others have nothing but problems with it and say it sucks, same goes for pistons, some love screw switches others say they have backed off and are junk, same with chute release, same with fly away rail guides and the list goes on and on. Bottom line is take the information with a grain of salt and do your own testing and evaluation. What works for others may or may not work for you, like if you have a huge soldiering iron and smoke the switch, or if you don’t have the correct sized screw driver, or worse yet I’ve seen people trying to turn switches with a knife, not enough wire and pulling on the switch to open an e-bay, ect ect

Back