ROSCO launch March 13-14

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketmaniac

Reaction score
ROSCO (Rocketry Organization of South Carolina at Orangeburg) will be holding a launch March 13th and 14th......

Besides the "normal" stuff (everything from A's to L's and M's) we will be having a rocket contest........

There will be the following events

C Egg Loft Duration
1/2 A Parachute Duration
and Disco Death Destruction

See our website for more information and the guidelines........

https://www.roscoweb.org

There will be prizes given out to the winners..... More info to follow, but for now I know that there will be a Fliskits "Corona" on the prize list........:D

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
ROSCO (Rocketry Organization of South Carolina at Orangeburg) will be holding a launch March 13th and 14th......

Besides the "normal" stuff (everything from A's to L's and M's) we will be having a rocket contest........

There will be the following events

and Disco Death Destruction

HEY! the web site says disco death duration!
you got me all excited about distruction! darn!

i should be able to make that weekend. how far is it from myrtle beach? how big is the field?

Originally posted by Adam Selene
i should be able to make that weekend. how far is it from myrtle beach? how big is the field?

It's the same field as Tripoli SC uses, 1000 acres of sod farm. Location is the intersection of I26 and US 301 (exit 154).

More at https://www.tripolisc.org

i sure am going to try!:)

i can't afford either the time or the motel room to do both days. are both days comercial motors or is one day expermental only?

are both days comercial motors or is one day expermental only?

This month both days are commercial, April's launch is EX (both days)..........

Here is a list of the prizes that will be available for the contests;

1 Estes EST1672 Blast-Off Flight Pack 18mm Engines
2 Estes EST1301 Storm Caster Rocket
3 Estes EST2179 Guardian Rocket
4 Harbor 43678 Free Fly Model Airplane
5 Estes EST1834 Naboo Royal Starship Rocket
6 Estes EST1804 Hyper-X Rocket
7. Estes EST0835 Nike Arrow Rocket
8. Estes EST2136 Gemini DC
9. Estes Mach 12
10 Estes Venus Probe Rocket
11. Estes Exo-Skell Rocket
12 FlisKits Corona
13 MRC LZ-940 FX Engine

Plus I think there are few other Estes kits and some more motors too

some cool prizes! i've never competed before! actually i forgot that there was a competition! i've been worried about getting my duces wild and big daddy ready to fly. i do have the egg lofter that i used for nartek, i'll be sure to bring it!

Well, we had a great day.......... Weather was near perfect, a little windy (breezy) for the first few hours, but then it calmed down by mid-afternoon........

We didn't get anything off the ground for the first 1 1/2 hours due to some problems with the launch controller........ The club will be looking into doing some major repairs or just simply total rebuild of the launch system.........

We had a pretty large crowd, with several new people........It sure is great to have new people interested in rockets........... I got involved early on with a family that had a lot of questions about our sport (or addiction) so I missed the details (ie motor types and recovery systems) of a lot of flights........ I was prepping my Expeditor for it's second hybrid flight....... This time I went with the 440c tank and a .098 orifice making the motor a J170 with a 4.3 second burn time.......... Another GREAT flight......... I got a 2728'......... The only bad news was the lower body section landed on the small paved road leading up to the launch site........ The fin can hit first, but with no damage.... Then it turned over and the top part of the 4" body tube hit the hard surface...... The top 1 1/2" of body tube is bent up pretty bad........ I did buy a tube coupler and a 10" section of body tube and will just cut out the bad section and extend the existing body tube.......

I got very few pics because something happened to my digital camera and most were out of focus......... I have to get a new camera soon!!!!!!

Here's a pic of some rockets on the pad....... (I can't give you details)

And we had several NAR contests this month.......... Here are the overall 1st and 3rd place winners in the kids division........... (two happy, but out of focus little girls)

And the last pic for the day is David, the overall 3rd place winner..........

Note: Jim....... The pic of the Fliskits Corona winner was totally un-readable...... I will try again tommorrow or I will have someone else take a pic.........

Rocketmaniac,

I'm coming up Sunday, hope the weather's good enough to fly the Deuce.

I just got back from Louisiana today. The TRA-LA launch was cancelled.

Originally posted by Rocketjunkie
Rocketmaniac,

I'm coming up Sunday, hope the weather's good enough to fly the Deuce.

I just got back from Louisiana today. The TRA-LA launch was cancelled.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(not for the part about your launch being cancelled, but be there on sunday)

This time I went with the 440c tank and a .098 orifice making the motor a J170 with a 4.3 second burn time.......... Another GREAT flight......... I got a 2728'......... The only bad news was the lower body section landed on the small paved road leading up to the launch site........ The fin can hit first, but with no damage.... Then it turned over and the top part of the 4" body tube hit the hard surface......

that was a great flight! first time i ever saw a hybrid fly! well at least the first time i saw one fly more than 50 feet anyway!

at least it didn't didn't hang up on the watering system.:)

that was a great flight! first time i ever saw a hybrid fly!

Thank you....... I was hoping I would be able to meet you..... Will you be there on sunday? If so, look me up..........

Here's a picture of the first flight of my Deuce's Wild with a bunch of unidentified high power rockets in the background. you can clearly see that only one of the 2 C6's lit.:eek:

Here's a picture of the first flight of my Deuce's Wild

Oh, so you were the one with the deuce's wild!!!!! I plan on flying mine on sunday........ Want to drag race? :D

Thank you....... I was hoping I would be able to meet you..... Will you be there on sunday? If so, look me up..........

i was going to introduce myself but then someone else started talking to you so i figured i'd do it later... i am the guy with the long hair who was wearing the i love the smell of AP in the morning shirt

i'd love 2 be there again tomorrow but it's around a 3 hour drive each way so i doubt it.

Oh, so you were the one with the deuce's wild!!!!! I plan on flying mine on sunday........ Want to drag race? :D

that would be so much fun it might be worth the drive:D

Well, today was another great rocket day........ While I did not personally fly any rockets, it was a fun day......... For the first time, I preformed the duties of LCO......... Yes, they let me control the buttons and the PA system!!!!! I started off by launching the wrong rocket (yes I selected the wrong pad) then I soon after that, I launch a rocket that was unstable off the pad, but stablized half-way throught the flight.... Then I launched the first rocket that CATO'ed (a story in it's self)...... I am sure there were some people that were scared to put a rocket of the pad with me as the LCO......... But in the end, I launched lots of great flights....... I will have a "count" in a day or two.........

Now for the CATO story........ The worst part of the story was that it was a Level 2 Cert flight!!!!!!....... The story actually begins on saturday....... Joel, a new flyer from Florence tried to cert saturday on a fairly large rocket on a K550........ Once at the pads, he found that the rail buttons he installed were for a rail that we did not have......... So, he took the motor out of that rocket and put it in a smaller rocket (3"????) After much debate, and a Rocksim print out showing an altitude under our waiver, it was allowed to fly......... 5,4,3,2,1 gone............ We lost sight of it after a couple of seconds and never saw it again!!!!!!! So today....... he modified the "big" rocket with 1" launch lugs and put a J570 in it......... 5,4,3,2,1 bang......... CATO........ Hang in there Joel, you can get it...........

On the up side........ Rocketjunkie made today with his upscale Deuce!!!!!!!!!

(I had to start another post just to keep you guessing)

On, 2 J400's smoky sams, the upscale Deuce ripped off the pad and the fins stayed on!!!!!!!!!!

Rocketjunkie will have a video of the flight posted soon.........

Here's a pic of a Bullpup......... Great looking rocket and a great flight........

Here a pic of a 4" AMRAAM........ Ed found this rocket in the woods near our launch site....... A guy who lives nearby, says it was in a tree for the last 8 years!!!!!!!! The parachute was totally worn out....... But it was in pretty good shape....... Even had a J350 case in it!!!!!! Not too bad for a free rocket........

Back