Room to Finish

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKPilot

Reaction score
Okay folks, here's the scoop . . .

As many of you know my family and I moved a few months ago and bought a home. We've been very fortunate and were able to buy a home where my wife could have a scrapbooking room (converted dining room) and I could have my own hobby room (extra bedroom).

So this winter will see me transforming this into a proper hobby room for both rocketry and R/C airplanes.

Does anyone have any pictures of theirs they'd like to share, for ideas . . . things that have worked or not worked?

Mine's not nearly that neat, of course I've been in my house for 28 years;)
Actually I have the rocket lab taking the entire front room of the basement, with the wood, metal and Plastic shop in the back room with the furnace.
Whatever you do make sure you have a good solid joist or beam under your workbench. Make stamping, hammering and other duties less likely to be an annoyance downstairs;)
Good lighting is also a must, What about a Paint chamber and exhaust venting?

That's a cooincidence, just posted this today.

attachment.php

It kind of works OK.
Painting and FG/CF take place in the garage.

Greg

Man, guys, some of you getting me scared!!! How in the heck do you manage to find anything?! Nevertheless, I have to agree it's better than a kitchen table. If you want to really see some nice rooms, you need to do a search on "scrapbooking rooms" - some of these women are organized look like a small business - putting us to shame.

I've found some 30" unfinished cabinets and Lowes, so I think I'm going to start there, with a kitchen counter top as a work area. It's gotta beat my 14" portable tv dinner tables.

Believe it or not: even in what may appear as CHAOS, there is method to the madness.. Everything has a place and everthing in it's place. It's not that you don't have the room it's simply you have TOOOOOOOO many things in the room! Why do you think I've gone mostly to building Micro's and Night Launch vehicles? I simply have NOwhere to keep them once finished:D You just can't lose, break, wareout or give away models fast enough:D:D

My shop is just that.. the shop. with unfinished models, kits parts and tools...Finished models are housed in a 10'x 12' x10' Shed and in every room of the house except the kitchen and bathroom. See why I refer to her as my Better 2/3rds! I really do have the BEST wife in the world:D
Trust me IF you remain in this hobby for any length of time, you'll be amazed at the amount of "Stuff" that accumulates!

I've gotta say I'm really lucky, my cousin from brazil used to live with us. When she moved back I got to take over the room.

My only advice would be go to a carpet store and see if they have extra peices, or if anyone you know does, and use that to work on. I cant stand working on a table, so half the time im sitting on the floor gluing things on, the carpets nice because I can drip epoxy everwhere, and when it gets too messy I'll just throw it out. The only furniture I really ever use is a small night stand I have my drill press bolted on

Great point Rabid!
I get those 20 buck, area rugs from K-mart, Wal-Mart fo the building room. work well to protect the floor from overspary, paint spills, glues, CA and epoxy. also helps in finding those small parts and things dropped off the buidling table(s):D

You guys got me inspired! I just started to clean-up my rocket lab today. I hope to get it done this weekend. This is more of a necessity thing than anything else.
(Pssssst-don't tell my wife, but I just want more room for more rockets.:D

Good god, Micromeister-I thought I had an addiction before I saw YOUR house!!!:D

Back