Rolling Your Own Carbon Fiber Tubing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
Might want more layers for HPR, I don't know, since this is for very high pressure water rocket bodies. Seems to be a fairly easy and clever method as shown in the relevant first portion of the video.

Rolling Your Own Carbon Fiber Tubing

Might want more layers for HPR, I don't know, since this is for very high pressure water rocket bodies.

From my experience it's the exact opposite. 3 layers of 2x2 200gsm twill for an airframe 54mm diameter or less is more than adequate wall thickness. George requires much more strength given the pressures he's working with, hence the stronger layups when compared to people rolling their own airframes.

From my experience it's the exact opposite. 3 layers of 2x2 200gsm twill for an airframe 54mm diameter or less is more than adequate wall thickness. George requires much more strength given the pressures he's working with, hence the stronger layups when compared to people rolling their own airframes.
Thanks. I know nothing about rolling tubes and appreciate your input. How does the method shown compare with methods typically used in HPR?

Thanks. I know nothing about rolling tubes and appreciate your input. How does the method shown compare with methods typically used in HPR?

Here's what I do. I'm not sure why George swaps between FG and CF for his layups but I've only every rolled airframes with one contiguous piece of fabric wrapped around a mandrel with Glad Bake in between..

Late to the party here...very nice video.

But when I did my first CF airframes I found this tutorial in the Peak of Flight newsletter from Apogee to be very helpful:
Got very good reults my very first try.

Newsletter370.pdf (apogeerockets.com)

Newsletter371.pdf (apogeerockets.com)

The mandrel prep in the video presented in post #1 made for a very mirror smooth mandrel, but it is labor intensive....sanding the mandrel with up to 400 grit, then waxing three times.
I used the method in the newsletter...rather than do all that mandrel sanding and waxing, I just wrapped the mandrel per the newsletter in Duralar clear mylar from Hobby Lobby.
I got a mirror smooth finish on the inside of the CF airframe, and that was with a crappy Sonotube mandrel.
No sanding, waxing, etc.

Back