Rolling your own...body tubes that is.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flying:
If it's the same tyvek used by the building trade under siding and the sign industry attempted to use for banners. I'm not sure it's going to be a good material for rolling your own body tubes.
As a sign painter I can tell you the stuff wrinkles and crankles all over the place while the paints (oil or water base made no difference) are wet. The stuff would sort of flatten back out as the paint dried but getting straight line or lining up seams with the wet glue would seem to be to be a real Pain. I will say the stuff is pretty strong rip wise.
Give it a try but don't expect to much;) let us know what you find.

I tried using Tyvek for parachutes & streamers - no dice man! it has a really low melt point, so I bet whatever you made from it would just wilt. also, what glue would you use with it?

try it anyways, post some pix eh?

Someone here on TRF posted that they used Tyvec to laminate balsa fins for strength. Maybe for reinforcement you could laminate cardboard BT also? Maybe peel out the paper layers from the inside afterward?

Originally posted by powderburner
Someone here on TRF posted that they used Tyvec to laminate balsa fins for strength. Maybe for reinforcement you could laminate cardboard BT also? Maybe peel out the paper layers from the inside afterward?

Hmm sounds like a good experimental thread....Tyvek Rocket.

Back