ROCStock XX - 25th Tour de Deuce

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eugenefl

Reaction score
Greetings fellow TRFers! <a href="https://www.rocstock.org/rocstock.html">ROCStock XX</a> is still about 3 weeks away as of this writing, but I wanted to go ahead and poll the forum and see if there are any TRFers that will be attending. (ROCStock XX will be held from Nov. 12-15. See website for more details.)

Jason Toft (jetra2) and I along with our rocketry supporting dads will be flying out to California from Florida to attend our first western desert launch. While at Lucerne we will meet up with Eric Williams and witness the 25th flights and midway point in the "Tour de Deuce" project. I am personally excited to have the opportunity to attend only my 2nd night launch, my first real large rocket meet, and to see a lot of the faces of those that I might otherwise not have the chance to meet. This will also mark the FIFTH state I am present during a "Tour de Deuce" launch so I'm already familiar with the routine. :) (FL, HI, AL, NC, coming soon: CA, down the road: NH)

Favor Request: For those of you in the local vicinity and that will be attending the meet, I need to make arrangements with you to have a pair of any of the following motors available at the launch: G35-7W (non-CATO ones ;) ), G38-8FJ, G40-7/10W, or G80-10T (WL or FJ preferred). I will also need a pair of dipped igniters or other reliable composite cluster igniter. I am planning on shipping my <a href="https://www.rocketryforum.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=131241">29mm Deuce's Wild!</a> for a great high flight in the desert and would love to prearrange motor availability. If you will be attending and can help me out in this regard, I will gladly reimburse you and maybe I'll toss in a Florida T-Shirt or something. :D

I can't wait until November. This will be a great time so long as the weather holds out. If you're out there drop by and say hello. We'll have a TRF banner flying. Jason and I will be the goofy ones with the dazed looks in our eyes. :D See you in 3 weeks.

mkeene and I are looking to road trip up there, but my attendance is still uncertain. I'm still waiting on word about my Navy Reserve schedule to make sure that it's not that weekend!

WW

Eugene, for motor availability call Andy at What's Up Hobbies and he'll take care of you.

see you at ROCSTOCK!

Well...daveyfire's gonna get a nice surprise in the mail next week!

I just got my 29mm Big Daddy (the BURNINATOR) in the mail at 10:54am this morning, along with letters to...uh...important people...you'll see later...it should be exciting!

David told me we could put a H180 in the Big Daddy. Like any good rocketeer, I agreed. :D:D:D We'll be expecting over 4000 feet outta this thing, maybe even a mile...should be fun! Gotta push those limits!

I can hardly wait!

Jason

Originally posted by cls
Eugene, for motor availability call Andy at What's Up Hobbies and he'll take care of you.

see you at ROCSTOCK!

Good deal. Glad to hear there will be a vendor on site. For good measure, I went ahead and ordered some G40-10Ws from Red Arrow Hobbies this morning and had them sent to daveyfire. This just means that I might get to buy some more motors and have a 2nd flight on my Deuce over the course of the weekend on some other motors! :D Hmm...maybe I'll ship my 29-40/120 cases and put some G33Js or G64Ws in it!

I'm sure we could round up a pair of 40-120s for ya out here... I've got one and someone else would more than likely be willing to share theirs.

Oh yeah, I'll be there, if I have to ;) Plans are to fly the Arcas on an L850W, Inspector Gadget on a J415W or K550W, and the new Small Arcas (2.6" like the AT... pics after it's painted, when it stops raining!) on a J420R or something smaller.

And TDD. Pressure's on, Eric :p

See y'all on the lakebed! Gee, I hope it's not wet... we've been getting a lot of rain around here, and currently I hear that the lakebed is underwater. Fingers crossed!

Originally posted by daveyfire
I'm sure we could round up a pair of 40-120s for ya out here... I've got one and someone else would more than likely be willing to share theirs.

Oh yeah, I'll be there, if I have to ;) Plans are to fly the Arcas on an L850W, Inspector Gadget on a J415W or K550W, and the new Small Arcas (2.6" like the AT... pics after it's painted, when it stops raining!) on a J420R or something smaller.

And TDD. Pressure's on, Eric :p

See y'all on the lakebed! Gee, I hope it's not wet... we've been getting a lot of rain around here, and currently I hear that the lakebed is underwater. Fingers crossed!

Nah, I have (2) 40-120's that I am packing in the box. I'll be adding plenty of insurance in case something gets lost! Thanks for the thought though! :)

Wow...looks like you'll have an HPR day! That'll be nice to see some multiple I+ impulse rockets flying!

ShhhH! Don't say a word about weather! I have travelled far too many times to find bad weather. I think the absolute *best* trip I've had to a club launch was back in '02 when I went to Whitakers for the first time. Every time after that has been windy or rainy. Does someone have an almanac handy? What's the trend been like in the years past?

Hehe, ROCstock does look to be an exciting event. Oh an d Eugene, you are welcome to my 29/40-120 case... your deuce would be way cool on some G64s:D

Though i may still be in debt fro my flight of abstraction, I do plan on having a little fin:cool: I'll be flying the famed deuces of course, and i've got a pair of H238s and G38s that will be going into David's rocket Gone Fission, lighting the two H238s on the ground and airstarting the G38s. I might be able to scrounge together some cash to put up the Sumo on something...

I can't wait!

Originally posted by eugenefl
That'll be nice to see some multiple I+ impulse rockets flying!

Wow... perspective, I guess... I don't even turn to watch Is anymore at ROCStocks...

Also got a lakebed update. From Fred Shecter (shreadvector): "I called the 76 station in Lucerne Valley. They say the dry lake is now a wet lake. VERY wet." I hope the rains hold off enough to dry it out... I've got some AP to burn!

Originally posted by daveyfire
Also got a lakebed update. From Fred Shecter (shreadvector): "I called the 76 station in Lucerne Valley. They say the dry lake is now a wet lake. VERY wet." I hope the rains hold off enough to dry it out... I've got some AP to burn!

Ok...that doesn't sound very promising. There still are 2 weeks for it to dry out, but realistically what are the chances? If there is no more rain until then, would it dry out enough for vehicles to get out there? According to the Weather Channel, the 10 day forecast shows 0%-10% chances of rain. (see attachment) This is certainly a positive thing although I don't know much about the drying out process for that area.

So, what's the contingency plan? Any ideas or suggestions as to what else can be done out there?

Originally posted by eugenefl
Ok...that doesn't sound very promising. There still are 2 weeks for it to dry out, but realistically what are the chances? If there is no more rain until then, would it dry out enough for vehicles to get out there? According to the Weather Channel, the 10 day forecast shows 0%-10% chances of rain. (see attachment) This is certainly a positive thing although I don't know much about the drying out process for that area.

So, what's the contingency plan? Any ideas or suggestions as to what else can be done out there?

Don't forget that Lucerne CA is several hundred miles away from Lucerne Valley CA. The lakebed is in Lucerne Valley CA.

Well, it still says between 0% and 20% for the next 10 days for Lucerne Valley, CA. Prayerfully, the lakebed will be nice and dry, the temps will be comfortable [moderator edit].

Jason

The deuces are here everyone! I can see they're just itching to take to the skies over Lucerne.:cool:

T-minus 13 days and counting...

Lookin' good for ROCStock! (knock on wood!)

0% to 30% chances of rain through Thursday the 11th. Looks like the lakebed should be dry...but what do I know...I'm an East-Coaster and don't know much about western weather.

Jason

My modified Big Daddy arrived in California to Daveyfire on Saturday. I plan on flying it on a H180 and an H97 for great flights to 4000'+!!! Should be awesome!

Jason

The Tour de Deuce team members will be present at ROCStock from Friday afternoon around 2pm to Sunday afternoon, and Sunday night. We're taking off around noon Sunday to go to San Diego and the Point Loma Lighthouse to see a Pacific Coast sunset! :)

Keep a look out for Tour de Deuce City, which should be near the middle of the flight line proudly displaying the TRF Banner and the brand SPANKING new TOUR DE DEUCE banner! :D:D:D

Jason

oh man, i *gotta* find a new subject for such pictures... you just never know *where* they're going to end up... :p :p

Originally posted by jflis
oh man, i *gotta* find a new subject for such pictures... you just never know *where* they're going to end up... :p :p

and I was gonna ask where they found the banner holder!!!!!!!:D

I am planning on attending as well. I have been frantically trying to finish up my 24mm and 29mm Deuces. Although, sad to say we are having some rain, but down here in OC, which is about 100 miles from Lucerne Valley, it's hard to say just what the conditions will be like. Stay tuned.....

Originally posted by kelltym88
I am planning on attending as well. I have been frantically trying to finish up my 24mm and 29mm Deuces. Although, sad to say we are having some rain, but down here in OC, which is about 100 miles from Lucerne Valley, it's hard to say just what the conditions will be like. Stay tuned.....

Oh man...I'm going to have an ulcer. Jeez....I really need to get away from my job for a few days. All I ask of California is for some good weather! :eek:

Sheesh bud! Relax!! Check out the weekend forecast for Lucerne Valley!

Jason

And with this storm behaving the way it has been lately... that chance of rain on Sunday will probably get pushed back to Monday...

Fingers crossed! I have the rockets ready to go here and I'm dying to get out and fly! I have even con(vinced) my Physics teacher to make a trip out to the site on Sunday to watch some stuff fly... let's hope for a beautiful weekend!

I'm not sure if we've mentioned it here either, but one of our very own ROCers, Mark Hayes, is getting married on the lakebed this Saturday. What a place for a wedding :D

We should call it " Wedding Stoc" . He's gonna let me borrow one of his casings for my L1 attempt. I'm starting to get excited. I am assuming that Saturday is going to be the day they shoot off the Deuces, right?

I will be there with my Bull Pup, Saturn V, Phoenix, V2 and Screamin Mimi. My girlfriend will have her Legacy and Pteradactyl Jr. I plan to fly the Bull Pup on an I211 and an I285. The Saturn V, Phoenix and V2 will all go up on F-39's. Screamin Mimi will go up on an F50 or a G40, whatever is available. Legacy will fly on a G80 and Pteradactly will fly on whatever blue thunder load my GF finds (she loves those the best.)

My friends will also be there with their Thor, AMRAAM and Miranda. I have been talking about this launch non-stop for weeks, so I am definitely excited. We will be getting there around noon-ish on Friday and plan to leave sometime on Sunday.

One of the great things about the lakebed is that there are stores and restaurants within 5 minutes of the launch site. Plus there is a decent sized general store there, so you won't have to go far if you forget something.

The weather looks to be getting better, with the chances of rains dropping to 10% earlier this week. It looks to be a tad on the chilly side, but I would take that over "R" any day!

Anyway, see you guys there! This is going to be an awesome launch!

-Chris

Cool! Glad to see yet more excitement building. I've been containing myself all week but I think tonight it's gonna hit. It's near the end of my workday and I just realized something - I HAVE TO PACK! Woohoo!

The momentum is looking good. Glad to see the forecasts looking better by the day. I can't wait to meet everyone.

Well, for travelling all the way from Florida I'll still have the opportunity to fly my 29mm Deuce on a pair of G40-10Ws! For me this meet will be enjoyable to just to spectate. I'm kinda glad Jason kicked me in the butt to send a rocket over there. At least I'll have the opportunity to participate if even for one flight.

Take care all and let's keep our fingers crossed for an enjoyable weekend.

Originally posted by SpartaChris
Plus there is a decent sized general store there, so you won't have to go far if you forget something.

The last full ROCStock I could attend, I was going to fly an M1419W but forgot a dowel for the igniters. Ran in to town and got one from the hardware store, and flew the rocket within 30 minutes :)

I can't wait! I finished painting and decaling my 4" Thor today and got the coat of white on the Small Arcas... I think I can get everything done...

See you guys on the playa.

Back