ROCstock November 2021: My highlights

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smstachwick

LPR/MPR sport flier with an eye to HPR and scale
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
ROCstock was absolutely awesome! I got far too much flying done over the course of the 3-day event to do a play-by-play report, but here is a quick summary:
  • My Super Gnome made five flights: three successful flights in two-stage configuration, along with one successful flight in a single-stage configuration and an unsuccessful two-stage flight in which the sustainer failed to light. This rocket attracted some attention from a few attendees who had seen it here on TRF and wanted more information on how I made it and how it works.
  • My rebuilt Phantom made all of its six flights with a cardstock liner inserted in the body tube to preserve its transparency. This included my first ever night flight, with a blinky installed in the nose. This flight was the one that did it in; I have since replaced it with an Estes Generic E2X, although I’ve held onto the nose and blinky just in case I ever want to do a night flight on that one.
  • I intended to enter my stock Estes Goblin reissue in the contest for Goblin derivatives, clones, and upscales. The guy at the check-in booth just laughed at me. I think it ended up flying three times through the event, ending its weekend with a tangled chute and two cracked fins.
  • My Hi-Flier XL made two successful flights on the reinstalled motor mount, but while I was loading it up for a third flight, the forward centering ring failed from damage sustained during its splashdown at Fiesta Island last month. I purchased a new mount kit from Discount Rocketry and I plan to install it soon.
  • My Star Orbiter made not one but TWO successful flights on E23s, my first flights with any kind of reloadable. I have since cleaned out the hardware and ordered Aerotech E16W reloads through AMW.
  • I tried my hand at working the launch control system and PA system, hitting the button for rockets up to M power and helping a couple of flyers make their certification flights.
Overall, fun weekend. I look forward to joining ROC in the future, that was a great event. I take my hat off to all of those who made that possible.

Last edited:
ROCstock was absolutely awesome! I got far too much flying done over the course of the 3-day event to do a play-by-play report, but here is a quick summary.:
  • I intended to enter my stock Estes Goblin reissue in the contest for Goblin derivatives, clones, and upscales. The guy at the check-in booth just laughed at me. I think it ended up flying three times through the event, ending its weekend with a tangled chute and two cracked fins
He laughed because of its condition?

He laughed because of its condition?
It’s small! The other entries were upscales that flew on J and K motors, mine is just the normal size with a 24x70mm mount. I’m not sure what the parameters of the contest were, but I think they were going for altitude.

From the ROC Facebook;

We had an amazing ROCStock!! The perfect weather all weekend made for great flying on all 3 days.
Launches:
1/2 A: 15
A: 44
B: 96
C: 161
D: 52
E: 48
F: 53
G: 52
H: 120
I: 47
J: 53
K: 24
L: 7
M: 4
For a total of 776 flights! 74 on Friday, 604 on Saturday and 98 on Sunday.
Certification Flights:
Jr Level 1: 17
Level 1: 50
Level 2: 13
Level 3: 2
For a total of 82 Cert Flights!! Congratulations to all those that were successful!
Thank you to all the volunteers who helped set up, tear down, Pad Manage, Flight Safety Checks and LCO during the launch.
Our next launch is scheduled for Saturday, December 11th!

Last edited:
ROCstock was absolutely awesome! I got far too much flying done over the course of the 3-day event to do a play-by-play report, but here is a quick summary.:
  • My Super Gnome made five flights: three successful flights in two-stage configuration, along with one successful flight in a single-stage configuration and an unsuccessful two-stage flight in which the sustainer failed to light. This rocket attracted some attention from a few attendees who had seen it here on TRF and wanted more information on how I made it and how it works.
  • My rebuilt Phantom made all of its six flights with a cardstock liner inserted in the body tube to preserve its transparency. This included my first ever night flight, with a blinky installed in the nose. This flight was the one that did it in; I have since replaced it with an Estes Generic E2X, although I’ve held onto the nose and blinky just in case I ever want to do a night flight on that one.
  • I intended to enter my stock Estes Goblin reissue in the contest for Goblin derivatives, clones, and upscales. The guy at the check-in booth just laughed at me. I think it ended up flying three times through the event, ending its weekend with a tangled chute and two cracked fins.
  • My Hi-Flier XL made two successful flights on the reinstalled motor mount, but while I was loading it up for a third flight, the forward centering ring failed from damage sustained during its splashdown at Fiesta Island last month. I purchased a new mount kit from Discount Rocketry and I plan to install it soon.
  • My Star Orbiter made not one but TWO successful flights on E23s, my first flights with any kind of reloadable. I have since cleaned out the hardware and ordered Aerotech E16W reloads through AMW.
  • I tried my hand at working the launch control system and PA system, hitting the button for rockets up to M power and helping a couple of flyers make their certification flights.
Overall, fun weekend. I look forward to joining ROC in the future, that was a great event. I take my hat off to all of those who made that possible.
Those were some pretty awesome flights! I loved the speed on the sustainer. Glad you enjoyed ROC! Now what about a 3 stage gnome......

Those were some pretty awesome flights! I loved the speed on the sustainer. Glad you enjoyed ROC!
I’m glad you enjoyed the Super Gnome! 😁

I, too, was surprised see the thing really kick when it staged. The 1/2A has a surprising amount of initial thrust when you consider how small it is.
Now what about a 3 stage gnome......

I got exactly that question from another attendee. It’s doable but I don’t think I want that kind of complexity and difficult of recovery in that configuration. Rocksim also indicated that stability gets tricky with additional stages. Three looked fine but I wouldn’t want to go for four without an enlarged custom fin unit. I’d love to see somebody else build on what I have done though, I don’t see a whole lot of multi-staging at this scale.

Last edited:
Back