RocSim file for RW Rogue 4 inch rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FMarvinS

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am completing my build of the RW Rogue and RW apparently does not have a RocSim file. Does any one have a file I can utilize to check stability and if (and how much) weight needs to be added to the nose cone to maintain stability? Also, if some have built this same kit, how much weight did you use to add to the nose cone (if needed) and what were the simulation and actual flight results?

Thanks for your help,
Fred
TRA #15606,
L2, member of ROSCO

Addendum:

In the interim, I made a RocSim file for the RW Rogue which is being refined and incorporates additions to the kit that I added. If anyone else needs a RocSim file for this rocket, I will be happy to share it once it is fully completed.

Fred

Hi Fred, I have just received a Madcow 4” Rogue kit along with a second section of 4” FG body tube. I would be interested in your sim file. It will be months before I finish and modify this kit, so no urgency, but obviously the sooner the better (so I can plan my tweaks with concurrent engineering).

Thanks,
Tom

Hi all,

I am completing my build of the RW Rogue and RW apparently does not have a RocSim file. Does any one have a file I can utilize to check stability and if (and how much) weight needs to be added to the nose cone to maintain stability? Also, if some have built this same kit, how much weight did you use to add to the nose cone (if needed) and what were the simulation and actual flight results?

Thanks for your help,
Fred
TRA #15606,
L2, member of ROSCO

I have flew my Rouge many times on differant size motors. It has no nose weight and flys very stable

Tom-You'll enjoy flying the Rogue. If you go low & slow its a crowd pleaser! I've had it on a CTI K 500 or 600 (?) to over 7200 feet with no problems. The only advice, as most know, is that the fin tips are below the motor case end, so on bad landings a cracked fin can occur. It happened to me and its done well after a fiberglass cloth repair. If you haven't done HED yet, check CJ's post on the punisher in terms of loading the laundry into the nose cone. Good luck! Find the Rocksim file attached (needs to opened in Rocksim):
Fred, L2
ICBM, Camden S.C.
KG4YGP

Attachments

• Rogue.rkt
    1 MB · Views: 56
Fred (or anyone actually), I’ve been trying to find CJ’s Punisher thread to learn more about the HED but I’m not having any luck. I read a thread about CJ’s Punisher but I saw very little mention about the HED. Can you post a link to it?

Thanks,
Tom

Thanks Fred. By the way, I loaded the rkt file and there are a number of differences from my kit. Mine has 4 fins while the file you sent has 3, and they are slightly different shaped from what I got. I wonder if they have modified the design significantly.

If you send your email address via PM, I can specifically address your question about packing the nosecone laundry -see PM I sent you yesterday).

any thoughts or feedback on the Rougue ??

Its a very good basic HED rocket. Solid with 3/16th inch fins and large NC for containing parachute. The fins do protrude below the aft end of the booster; so, make sure your main chute descends at no more than 20 feet per second or else there may be fin damage on a rough landing. The AV-bay is about 8 inches and easily contains 2 altimeters and a tracker or GPS unit. Its not a minimal diameter rocket, in fact it is a 98 mm booster with a 54 mm motor tube-so you won't be breaking any altitude records. However, I have found the Rogue does very well in either a low-slow flight or on a K motor launch to altitudes of 7000 to 10,000 feet.
Instructions on how to do HED deployment can be found on the Wildman website. Click downloads then choose HED. Both written and pictorial instructions cover the HED preparation.

Fred, L2
ICBM, Camden, S.C.
KG4YGP

any thoughts or feedback on the Rougue ??
i bought another 30 section of matching 4” body tube because I wanted it longer. So far everything is going together fine, but I found the additional 30” tube wasn’t perfectly cylindrical. My av-bay gets stuck near one end of the added section (although I don’t find that to be a major concern).

Andy,

If the additional 30 inch tube is to lengthen the rocket to do traditional dual deployment instead of HED, then by making the tube end (that gets stuck) into the aft payload tube, you can consider the following: Make the AV bay attachable there by plastic rivets or counter sunk flat head screws into T nuts epoxied inside the bay (plastic rivets are easier but less aerodynamic) and shear pin the nose cone to the forward end of this payload tube which would contain the main chute. The aft half of the bay (below vent band) can friction fit into the booster tube (containing the drogue chute) and this may solve the problem. Alternatively, If the 30 inch tube was employed to make room for longer motor casings, then consider the following: place the AV bay at the forward payload end. The bay aft end (below vent band) would now be plastic riveted into the "stuck" end of the 30 inch section. Then one uses altimeter controlled HED deployment at apogee; however, the main chute is kept in a burrito by a jolly logic chute release that opens at 400 to 500 feet.
These suggestions presume that you checked the rocksim evaluation of the rocket with the additional 30 inch length.
Third and easiest alternative, call Madcow and explain the problem and hopefully they'll exchange the tube for a new one with only shipping charges.

Good luck,
Fred

Andy,

If the additional 30 inch tube is to lengthen the rocket to do traditional dual deployment instead of HED, then by making the tube end (that gets stuck) into the aft payload tube, you can consider the following: Make the AV bay attachable there by plastic rivets or counter sunk flat head screws into T nuts epoxied inside the bay (plastic rivets are easier but less aerodynamic) and shear pin the nose cone to the forward end of this payload tube which would contain the main chute. The aft half of the bay (below vent band) can friction fit into the booster tube (containing the drogue chute) and this may solve the problem. Alternatively, If the 30 inch tube was employed to make room for longer motor casings, then consider the following: place the AV bay at the forward payload end. The bay aft end (below vent band) would now be plastic riveted into the "stuck" end of the 30 inch section. Then one uses altimeter controlled HED deployment at apogee; however, the main chute is kept in a burrito by a jolly logic chute release that opens at 400 to 500 feet.
These suggestions presume that you checked the rocksim evaluation of the rocket with the additional 30 inch length.
Third and easiest alternative, call Madcow and explain the problem and hopefully they'll exchange the tube for a new one with only shipping charges.

Good luck,
Fred
Fred has some good ideas, and everything that has been said here is worth consideration. I hope it is of value to Andy.but for me there is no returning the aft 30
‘ section because that is where my fins are filleted (both inside on the 54mm motor tube and both inside and outside on the body tube, a thrust plate is heavily installed (against a 1/2” plywood centering ring). In other words (I may have misled you): the new 30” section is the forward body section and is friction fit via a Coupler to the original body tube carrying the motor tube. I am nowhere near done simulating the vehicle, and I still have lots of options. I should post some pics, but I haven’t taken any yet!
Thanks all,
Tom

I pulled the trigger and ordered the Rogue today - excited for my first glass build :cool:

This is a timley thread or revived thread. I was also looking at larger 4” fiberglass kits. After putting together a loc phantom exl and an apogee zephyr I really loke the 4” rocket. Its nice to get a hand down the tube.

I wanted to purchase a formula 98 in orange, but this kit is not in stock.

So I saw the rogue and the blue and orange fg is awesome. Now I just need the blue dye for my rocketpoxy to match the fins. I am looking forward to warmer weather to start on some of my fg kits. I also need to get involved woth mdra to get my lvl 1 cert. working 2 jobs makes it hard to get off for a launch.

This rocketry thing hit me hard I have so many kits so little time.

Live and let fly.

Typed on a phone

You may want to touch base with Mike at Madcow - the Rogue showed out of stock as well , they where able to help me out.

Thanks Andy but I ordered mine last week and got a shipping confirmation last night. It was in stock when I ordered. I like the color(blue/orange) better than the black/orange of the formula 98.

so has anyone given any thought to squaring the bottoms of the fins off with the body tube to prevent breakage ( so they dont hang below) ?? I did it on an old Phantom 4000 and it worked just fine ....... Thoughts ??? I fly on a pretty soft field so its not too much of a concern ,
but I have considered it anyway

Last edited:
I have not considered it. I am still relatively new and I am sure someone with more experience can correct me if im wrong. I dont see it being an issue as long as the cp remais below the cg with the largest motoryoi are planning to fly. I would throw it in open rocket or rocsim and see what it tells you.

I have flew my Rogue many times built with RP and have never had a fin problems. Great kit. Also I use JLCR on most flights?

Back