RockSim wish list

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpitfield

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
RockSim wish list (top 10)

Based on Mark Koelsch’s post, copied below from another thread, https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?136227-Rocksim-updates I thought this was a great idea. If we can assemble a “top 10” or priority list, then this may help Apogee focus addressing the market demands.

For know I think we should just list our wishes, in no particular order, let it brew for a bit, then based on popularity and possibly a vote, order them from highest to lowest.

I like Rocksim. I am probably one of the few here who has had their hands in RS Pro (for one year- Tim Lehr arranged that with TVM so I could do the Class 3 sims/write up for the CTI P8000 Mega Darkstar). It is cool, even with a few bugs. I wish it was $200 or so program as I would buy it.

I think that perhaps we should start a separate thread to gather desired upgrades to Rocksim to send to Apogee. It may or may not help, but it could not hurt.

Based on this I will throw one out there.

I am primarily a Mac user, although I have RS installed on my office PC I rarely use it so I cannot recall if this issue is common, or specific to Mac.

Importing engine profiles is clumsy and it should default to a specific folder that you can set in a “defaults” section. Also the importing function sometimes prompts for engine names one by one. Other times it just imports based on a default name, which is what I would prefer as it is hard to know what is importing if you import multiple engines. I am not sure if this is an issue with the source files or the import process, but it is inconsistent.

I feel that if this thread had come up a year after the last major release, I'd have more things to add, but here are some thoughts. It might even already do some of these...I forget. These also may have no value to anyone else. I am on Win10 and have RS Version: 9.6.0f202 at the time of writing.

Fix the radial stability page. Make it work AND make it accurate.

Make things that are normally internal to be included in the sim analysis if they hang out of the body. And allow them to do so.

Allow plate 'fins'.

Better account for base drag so we can quit adding those 'phantom cones'.

Show the pod element on the 2D drawing to aid in placement. I always have to fiddle with things attached to pods to get them in the right place.

Last edited:
I feel that if this thread had come up a year after the last major release, I'd have more things to add, but here are some thoughts. It might even already do some of these...I forget. These also may have no value to anyone else.

Fix the radial stability page. Make it work AND make it accurate.

Make things that are normally internal to be included in the sim analysis if they hang out of the body. And allow them to do so.

Allow plate 'fins'.

Better account for base drag so we can quit adding those 'phantom cones'.

Show the pod element on the 2D drawing to aid in placement. I always have to fiddle with things attached to pods to get them in the right place.

Hi Dick,

I am pretty sure that I have different behavior on my PC vs. my Mac, so from this perspective when reporting it may help to specify which O/S you are running.

Nosecone drag modeling. It is currently based on surface/wet area versus actual shape.

Transonic and supersonic drag. I would also like to see it increased in max velocity. When it was originally written Mach 2+ was a rare thing- now pretty common.

Base drag

Setting default locations in preferences on locations of motor files.

I really would love to see the features of Pro in terms of splash prediction, multiple wind layers with velocity and direction, and the ability to enter custom drag info into a product that most can actually afford.

Hi Dick,

I am pretty sure that I have different behavior on my PC vs. my Mac, so from this perspective when reporting it may help to specify which O/S you are running.

Excellent point! I'll edit my post to keep that info there. It's a PC, latest version of RS.

A more "powerful" or "insightful" engine import/management feature. My engine library is a mess for CTI, Cessaroni, Cessaroni Technologies, etc. I think I have imported things incorrectly, maybe. I have a lot of what appears to be duplications...

A more "powerful" or "insightful" engine import/management feature.
Ditto! And basically ANY improvement other than the recent "update" which from what I've read does nothing more than just update the program's Digital Rights Management.

A more "powerful" or "insightful" engine import/management feature. My engine library is a mess for CTI, Cessaroni, Cessaroni Technologies, etc. I think I have imported things incorrectly, maybe. I have a lot of what appears to be duplications...

I recently downloaded all of the Loki .eng files from Mark's Thurstcurve, and created a single Loki .rse engine file for all Loki's current motors. To do this I used the "engedit" application, which accompanies RockSim and was very easy to use, but lacks the basic ability to edit the manufacturer list. Although RockSim is aware of the manufacturer "Loki Research" it is not in the drop-down list of manufacturers within "engedit" so all of the motors show up as unknown. In order to see them when selecting a motor in RockSim, you have to deselect the manufacturer filter to see all manufacturers, including "Loki Research".

If anyone wants the file I will post it below. I corrected all motor names so they are consistent as well as correct, added missing and edited all delay options for motors with delay grains, and in one case adjusted the burn time, however I did not make any adjustments to the thrust curves.

View attachment Loki_Research.rse

You are missing the easier method. Go to Rocketryfiles.com and search out motor files underneath flight simulation. Complete motor files by manufacturer. Up to date.

Username and password are both guest.

You are welcome.

Back