RockSim v9 - works in Win7-x64?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mn-rocketry

Reaction score
Before I email Apogee and ask them...

Does anyone know if RockSim v9 will run in 64-bit Windows 7? I have RockSim v8, but can only run it on an elderly laptop because my new laptop and desktop pc's are both running Win7-x64. I plan to purchase the upgrade to v9 if it'll work on my current systems.

It does....
I'm running Win 7 64 bit Ultimate.
It's still a good idea to have the XP mode though as some will not run under 64 bit system.

JD

well the demo version worked for my machine(win 7 x64)...so I would imagine the the full version should
rex

The demo ran fine on my Win7 Home Premium x64 machine... I believe it runs in 32 bit mode, as it is NOT a native 64 bit application AFAIK. :D

System requirements from the Apogee website "for 32 bit computers only."

I called Apogee a few months ago to tell them that Rocksim 9 was running fine on my W7 64-bit OS and was told that they would update the specs on their website. Apparently, they haven't done so yet.:confused2:

you only need the program wine to do that on linux or solaris.

Does this work for other software such as SpaceCAD as well? I know that there are simulators for Linux, but I´ve heared that they do not support all programs?

Does this work for other software such as SpaceCAD as well? I know that there are simulators for Linux, but I´ve heared that they do not support all programs?

WINE can be a bit of a pain to set up and doesn't support all applications, but it has the distinct advantage of not requiring a Windows license to run Windows apps.

If you do have a valid Windows license (perhaps you were forced to purchase one with your machine currently running linux) you should consider VirtualBox. VirtualBox is a free (as in speech and beer!) machine emulator, into which you can install Windows and run just about every Windows application.

I have no Linux for a while so personally I`m not affected. But I got questions from rocketeers asking for Linux applications and do not know what to recommend. For some reasons, most developers will only serve Windows platforms. Ok, trying Wine or Virtual Box is a good approach, thank you!

Oliver

Your are absolutly right - OpenRocket is the best cross-platform-solution since it runs on any platform.

Almost any - unfortunatly it doesn´t work on smartphones since it do not work with the mobile Java version.

Oliver

OpenRocket — an Open Source model rocket simulator

Java app, so it will actually run across any platform supporting Java.

I'm 100% Linux, so this was quite a find for me! Works very well for everything I need to do.

100% :):)

what kind of distribution do you use ?

I have tens of computer in use at home, just one runs on windows,( server 2008)
the others are Linux Mint, and one system runs on Solaris:)

While I have always rather favored Fedora, I have been using Ubuntu for the last couple of years due to the sheer volume of quality apps available.

Being the manager for my academic institution's supercomputing center, I spend more than my fair share of time compiling scientific apps for our large Linux clusters, so it's nice to just do an apt-get install "xxx" on my workstations and netbook.

Back