Rocksim Use

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plastic nose cones or Balsa nose cones?

• I prefer plastic nose cones.

• I prefer Balsa nose cones.

• I prefer plastic nose cones.

• I prefer Balsa nose cones.

Results are only viewable after voting.

edwardw

Reaction score
I was wondering how many of ya'll who scratch build use Rocksim for your design?

Edward

I use it all the time - wouldn't design anything without it. I think it's a fantastic program, well worth the money and indispensible for creating custom designs or verifying the characteristics of a kit.

Leland

I have version 7...... But I have a problem with my computer and I get errors all the time........ I want to use it a lot, I'll have to wait until I re-do my computer...... For now I can "view" rkt files all day long, just can't create them.......

Do you have the latest version installed? For me, rocksim works fine :). I had to contact Tim for the latest version though.

I just ordered the latest version of Rock Simm and have heard alot of "stories" about errors etc,. has anybody else experienced this? I have Windows XP.

I'm currently using Version 5 with XP and everything is ok. I have
Version 7 sitting here but haven't installed it yet. Might not be in too much of a hurry either given these last few comments..

Leland

I use rocksim v7.0.latest on both Win2k and XP. works fine on both but it worked a lot better on my Win2k system after I updated the video driver! you might try that.

good news: I used rocksim for several hours a day for the last 8 months. it saved the bacon on more than one project so it's definitely worth the $$$.

bad news: got a job so the full-body rocketry obsession has to scale back to just a passion.

I have RockSim Versions 5, 6, and 7 all installed and running on Windows ME on the same computer! I even have RockSim version 4 running on a Windows 95 platform. You can only run one version of RockSim at a time though. I frequently go back and forth between RockSim versions 6 and 7 through WordPad. I can even create RockSim version 6 and 7 files with MS Word and MS Excel!

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

using Win xp
I have the latest verson 7 and it won't print cluster templates.?

it will only print the central motor circle, or none at all.
single motor designs work fine
and everything else runs smooth
they are aware of the glitch but ,so far, no fix

One of my bigest hang-uos with the other software (spcad) is that you can't print some fins, and centering ring patterns rpint incorrectly. That's why I am switching. I would think that if something like not printing cluster templates incorrectly will have me somewhat ticked If I just shelled out over a hunderd bucks for it. I'll just have to wait and see.

Have they given any time frame for known glithes?

I have v. 6 and Win XP and no problems that I am aware of. I have used it to print CR patterns on label paper and it sems to be very accurate. I have considered v.7 but that is way too much to upgrade to a buggy app. The bugs have been known for a long time and it seems if they really intended to spend the time fixing them, they would already be fixed.

Originally posted by rbeckey
I have v. 6 and Win XP and no problems that I am aware of. I have used it to print CR patterns on label paper and it sems to be very accurate. I have considered v.7 but that is way too much to upgrade to a buggy app. The bugs have been known for a long time and it seems if they really intended to spend the time fixing them, they would already be fixed.

If you use RockSim to print cluster centering rings, don't upgrade to 7.0.3.1 - there is a bug which causes only one hole to be rendered.

This worked in the original 7.0 release - I'm not sure which incremental upgrade the problem started in, but it's clearly broken in 7.0.3.1.

Wow. I got my copy of RocSim 7 today and it installed in a flash. Great training videos at the beginning too. I have run a few rocks through it and it seems very well behaved!

The only thing I have yet to figure out is how to put pods on fins?? Or can I?

Anyway, I am writing a follow-up for EMRR as soon as I play around a little but more. For now lets say the other software is...for sale!:D

I started with 6 and upgraded to 7. I had a few bugs at first, but received a 'fix disc' from Apogee. It has worked fine from there. Yes, I hate the cluster problem, but I am sure that this will be offered as a free upgrade.

I use Rocsim all the time. My main interest is in scale models. Since scale mod-rocs do not have the gyroscopes and gymballing motors of the full sized protorypes, many times, the model is actually unstable. Rocsim allows me to play with the design and determine if I want to add nose weight (including exactly how much) or expand the fins a bit, etc. I love being able to do this.

Basically, Rocsim allows me to build models that are 'close to the edge' and ensure that they are safe to launch. In the past I had to build a boilerplate model, and string test it, then play with fin size, or nose weight.

Originally posted by teflonrocketry1
You can add side pods to the fins in RockSim version7; you will have to read my latest article to find out how to do this visit:

https://www.apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/Newsletter119.pdf

If you need help with this type of simulation, just PM me.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

I have to say, I am really loving this software! I have been using brand X for while to get my feet wet again and it was fine. But Getting RocSim is going from a 64 Chevy Bel Air, to a Z06!:D

I always use rocksim for my rockets: no matter if they are kits or scratch. Only problem is i dual boot Lunux and Windows XP Pro for just one program: rocksim.

I run version 7 on an older iMac with Virtual PC Windows 98. It runs fine, although I'm waiting anxiously for Tim's System X version. I love the program, does everything I want it to and has taught me a lot. Well worth the $100.

Yeah - I run v7 under XP and I've not really had any trouble with it (It does crash while converting a couple of v6 rocket designs such as the Trident - I think it's those nose cones)

I also run it on my Ibook under Virtual PC running win98. It is a little slow on the simulations, but otherwise does just fine there too.

Greg

Back