RockSim Shrouds

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomopbo

Reaction score
I was trying to print out some templates with RockSim. The paper shroud came out as three lines when printed. Not too useful.
Did I do something wrong?
I was sort of expecting something like I have seen on the paper rocket print outs.
Thanks!

I noticed that also about RSIM, as far as shrouds. Not too handy indeed.
I can't remember exactly where I got this prg from but, I'll post it here for you. It's a small prg that will print out transitions, fin alignment, and miter templates. Easy to use.

I posted Template Widget a few weeks ago, but some people had missing .dll issues.

shrox

I could never get the Templet Widget to work.

I just go to EMRR https://www.rocketreviews.com/

go to Tools/Calcs on the right and use that one.

Then I take the numbers and punch them in my CAD and print.

Ya know I'm still not convinced to buy Rocsim...there is so much simple stuff it doesn't seem to do.

Am I wrong? Somebody tell me I'm wrong!

sandman

The nice thing about Template Widget is you input the numbers and it pprints it out to any available printer. No other prg is needed.
As far as RSim goes. No prg does everything but, it does a perty good job of it, imho. I guess it depends on how complicated of build you want to sim.

Sandman,

I'm with you bro. I just sold a ton of old atari and dos based games and systems to a friend. I've been toying with the idea of buying Rocksim, but this issue just adds to the growing list of things that irritate me about the program.

VCP (the MVP of rocketry software) does a wonderful job, along with Winroc and Rocketcad.

Cheers,

Thanks for the info!
Template Widget worked like a champ. Wonder why the Rsim doesn't print the shroud??? It is obviously supposed too since the option is there.

Thank goodness There are a couple freebie programs out there to round out and complete RSim. It's an awefully expensive program not to be able to do standard things like shrouds or fin placement templates.

I went with RSim as it seemed to be the "universal" or the "standard" program used around here.

I have never tried VCP, WinRoc, or Rocket Cad. Gonna go do some looking around. Are those freebies too?

Atleast with the added "Fins Fun" and "Template Widget", I am able to do a complete project.

From Tim VM:

"RockSim released v7.04 on Friday. It can now print shroud templates. But there is are a few conditions:

1. The shroud must be "conical" shape.

2. The shroud must be "hollow."

3. The shroud cannot have shoulders on either end.

Sorta makes sense, doesn't it; just like a real paper shroud.

When these three conditions are met, when you go to print the shroud, you
will get a real paper template. Otherwise, you'll get a side view of the
piece.

RockSim v7.04 will open all your old rocket designs.

If you want to retain your old designs, parts, and material database files,
then install RockSim into the same folder as before. The default path is:
c:/program files/apogee/rocksim/."

There you go.

shrox

Originally posted by shrox
From Tim VM:

"RockSim released v7.04 on Friday. It can now print shroud templates. But there is are a few conditions:

1. The shroud must be "conical" shape.

2. The shroud must be "hollow."

3. The shroud cannot have shoulders on either end.

Sorta makes sense, doesn't it; just like a real paper shroud.

When these three conditions are met, when you go to print the shroud, you
will get a real paper template. Otherwise, you'll get a side view of the
piece.

RockSim v7.04 will open all your old rocket designs.

If you want to retain your old designs, parts, and material database files,
then install RockSim into the same folder as before. The default path is:
c:/program files/apogee/rocksim/."

There you go.

shrox

OK,
Help me out here... Why in the heck can't I find the patch to download?
I can find where it lists the fixed bugs.
https://www.apogeerockets.com/rocksim_history.asp#RockSim%20v7.0%20Anchor
But no patch!

You have to have Apogee e-mail the patch to you. Just contact them through the web site and Tim will usually get back to you fairly quickly with the details.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Back