Rocksim question for current users..

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverleaf

Reaction score
Howdy,

I'm contemplating buying the newest Rocksim, and though I realize its 95 bucks, before I do, I've a few questions for current users of the software..

1) Does this come with all of the currently certified motors ?

A) Is it fairly easy to add in new certified motors ?.

2) Does this come with updated parts from say companies like Fliskits ?

A)If not, does someone have a listing of companies that they do cover ?

3) In regards to side pods - could I add small diameter dowel rods to a design so that I'd know flight characteristics, drag etc. ?

Would come in handy for some designs I'm dying to try, but with Rocksim 5, I can't even save or re-open any designs - and this seems like a must have capability.

4) In regards to the current version - for those that have been lifers with this software, when they do an upgrade to the next version - as a newer owner of the software - would I be required to pay for the update again ?

I ask only because if there are plans to update the software to Ver 8, then I may hold off till thats available, so I don't wind up spending an extra 50 bucks or so.

5) Would it be worth buying the CD version ?

My reasoning is I don't have a problem burning the original d/l to CD-RW for backup/reinstall, but I was wondering if the boxed/CD version comes with a manual. If not, I do know its supposed to have a large Help system built in. If not, its not a big deal - just curious.

Many thanks,

It doesn't come with every available motor. It's easy to add them from online sources.

It doesn't include Fliskits parts, but customizing parts is easy. I was going to do a Flis inventory for it, but there's been no point so far, even though I base my models on Flis parts.

I've added birch "launch lugs" with 0.001 ID to simulate dowels. You can customize BT sizes too.

The CD version includes instructional videos. Having seen them, I wouldn't bother, but if you're into video tutorials, go for it. The CD comes with nothing else beyond the software, just the CD in a mailer.

I've only used Rocksim 6 and I wasn't gona buy a new version of it till Rocksim 8 comes out. I am a familar user of Rocksim so i will answer you questions as best as I can.

1) RockSim usually comes with any motor that they can get a thrust curve for. some of the new motors like the AMW K1000SK is certified but doesent have a public file of the thrust curve yet. It will however have all of the major companies (aerotech, Kosdon, estes, quest, micromax, most of AMW and ext.), and older uncertified companies like Vulcan.

A) most new certified motors will have a thrust curve and a Eng File with them, eather on the website, rocketreviews.com or thrustcurve.com. you just download the files, put them in the right folder on your computer, compile them, and you will have them for your rocket simulations. you can even make your own Eng files with Rocksim, so you can put a M2500 in a Big Daddy if you want.

2)rocksim 6 does not have Fliskits parts in it already, and I am not sure about Rocksim 7. it is VERY easy to input a part as long as you know the material and measurments of it. you also can download part files from rocketreviews.com or other websites.

A) I can give you a list of the ones that is on Rocksim 6. there is most likely a updated version of materials and parts on Rocksim 7.
-Aerotech
-Apogee
-Estes
-PML
-Quest
-Retro Rocket Works
-LOC
-Rogue Aerospace
-Totally Tubular
-Vaughn Bros.

3) side pods are easy, you can eather do them as extremely thickwalled launchn lugs or very low-cut and thick fins. to know the added drag of them, just simulate the rocket with out them, write down the Cd, then add them and then compare the Cd, and difference in altitude.

4) when they come out with Rocksim 8, you will most likely have to buy the new version separately, other wize minor changes and updates will be downloadable and you will most likely be automatically notified when you are able to download them.

5) to eather download it or to get the CD is your desision. I would prefer to have the origional copy in-hand. but what ever flotes you boat........what ever flys you rocket!

i hope my information will help you.

Clusterwiz pretty much covered it. Unless something changes for version 8, you do have to pay for the upgrade. Maintenance upgrades are free, the latest version, 7.04, allows you to add custom "decals" to your kit.

As for Flis Parts, I have 98% of them loaded into my database, I am awaiting my Freedom Forge missile to see if there is anything new. I measured the parts with a caliper, but I have noticed some fluctuation here and there.

Things like pods and tip fins are possible. Pods require a modification to your design file. For instance, only "inside tubes" (usually an enginge mount) can be entered with a radial distance and angle (used for cluster configuration). You can build your pods, open the design file, and change the ISINSIDETUBE value to 1. When you reopen your design file, you can now place the pod on the outside of the BT at whatever distance and angle you need. A good example is the RockSim file I built for the Estes Screamin Mimi (available at EMRR). Unfortunately, you cannot add nose cones to the pods (yet), but you can simulate the drag using engine blocks or bulkheads. Tip Fins are another story, but the Apogee newsletter is a very useful source for tips and tricks.

I wrote a review of RockSim 7.04 for EMRR, you can find it here:

https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/kits/apo_rocksim07.html

It is definitely worth the money. I would ask Tim Van Milligan if a new version is forthcoming. You might be able to work a deal where if you buy 7.04 now and 8.0 comes out in a month or so, you would not have to pay the upgrade fee. Never hurts to ask!

it is really cool to be able to save designs away so easily. i'm not much of a note taker, or plan drawer, so this actually makes it possible for me to repeat a design or share it.

the flight sim part is quite helpful for selecting motor/delay combinations.

another vote for buy it, use it, love it.

Many thanks for all of the information and thoughts on Rocksim. Nothing has changed in that I'm leaning towards buying it, but your answers have solidified my opinion on some of the features and capabilities.

Thanks again, 8)

Joe, Any chance of you posting your updated .CSV files with the included Fliskits parts?

Has anyone else tried to create sub-assemblies of cluster moter mounts (ie. Fliskits, ThrustAero, etc.) for use within Rocksim? I've considered trying to create these type of complex parts and also create updated data files with current manufacturers part information. In my use I have also found a few part detail corrections. (i.e. Estes PNC80b - Fatboy NC) Do others think these would be useful? EMMR has data files available for LOC parts. It also has a good list of additional motor definition files.

I sure can. Once I get my Freeedom Forge Missile (the only FlisKit I do not have yet), I will add any new parts into my database and then post it here!

I have finished my RockSim FlisKits parts database, files are zipped and attached. The .CSV files only contain FlisKits parts, I removed the normal contents. I also renamed them so you would not overwrite your existing files.

You can use Excel, Notepad or pretty much any editor to transfer the data. Just unzip and open the *_flis.csv files, copy the data (except for the header in the first row), open the corresponding *.CSV file in the Rocksim\data directory and paste the data into your existing data file. If using Excel, make sure you use the Insert, Copied Cells menu option so you do not overwrite any existing data. If you have any problems or need help, just PM me (I am +7 hours from CDT so my day is almost over).

I have every FlisKit including the Freedom Forge, so I believe I have entered all "FlisParts" that can be added (Deuce and Tres CR's are a bit unique for RockSim). Let me know if I missed anything!

Joe,

I was just directed to this thread and I wanted to ask if you have any updates to this db.

This will be a big step to us getting one published on our site and included with the RockSim CD itself.

Let me know!
jim

Back