Rocksim Overhaul Data Files

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slickwilly

Reaction score
Finally done! THIS IS A TOTAL OVERHAUL!!! I got tired of the data files being a jumbled mess so I added lots of new stuff and reworded many older files to make it easier to understand dimensions and styles. I corrected a few dimensional and material type errors also. I alphabetically organized the manufacturers and numerically organized the sizes. Added many mass object files like hardware and electronics. The only problem with this overhaul is when you put the data files in your (newdata or new) folder it will add duplicates and scramble all the info.
Every thing I have edited is the same as what you had just easier to understand. So to do this right you need to:

1.) Go to your Rocksim data folder.
2.) Create a new folder and name it backup or whatever.
3.) Move all your **DATA files into the backup folder. (Not the engine files)
4.) Unzip the overhaul files into your (newdata or new) folder that is in your Rocksim data folder.
5.) Start up Rocksim and the overhaul info will be added.
6.) If you have a problem with the new **DATA files working, all you need to do is delete the new **DATA files in your data folder and copy your old **DATA files from your backup folder into your (newdata or new) folder. Everything will be like it was before.

I worked on this for weeks and I think you will really enjoy using the new files.
If anyone has a problem installing, please let me know and I can help you. :)

View attachment Rocksim Overhaul 2010.zip

Last edited:
I started with Rocksim 7 and edited the units and shape columns to work with all versions.

In your coupler file you have phenolic for the material for LOC couplers, they are paper. Also madcow and Flis should be paper

You probably moved EVERYTHING to the back-up folder. The only files you were supposed to move were the XXDATA.csv files, where XX is a two letter pair for what the files contain (BT for Body Tubes, NC for nose cones, etc). Just find the *.rse files and move them back into your data folder. Then go to File>Reload Engines...

I got all my engine files right. Now I need to clean up my .CSV files. Are these parts databases? Where do they go? I assume all the .BAK files are back-ups. Thanks for your help. I'm really better at using the software than I am at fixing it - HA:roll:

Yes it does.

They are probably paper phenol. Phenolic is the resin material.

Here a usefull reference from https://www.mcmaster.com

https://www.mcmaster.com/library/20080415/8549KAC.pdf

paper phenolic is similar to Garolite XX

Bob

Thanks for info. The problem with updating stuff is the manufacturer is not clear alot of times about dimensions and types of materials. I tried e-mailing a few of them but did'nt get a response.
If you see anything else wrong please let me know and I will update and re-post. :)

I got all my engine files right. Now I need to clean up my .CSV files. Are these parts databases? Where do they go? I assume all the .BAK files are back-ups. Thanks for your help. I'm really better at using the software than I am at fixing it - HA:roll:

All of the .csv files go in the following path:

C:\Program_Files\Rocksim8\Data\

Thanks. I think I have all that figured out, but I'm having trouble with ENG EDIT. Where does it belong?

wait im confused...I dont need to individually input the new data into rocksim myself? I can just drag and drop essentially?

Matt

wait im confused...I dont need to individually input the new data into rocksim myself? I can just drag and drop essentially?

Matt

Here's what you do:

1. Make a folder in your C:/ProgramFiles/Rocksim/Data called Back-up
  2. Move all files with the name XXDATA.CSV into the folder you created (XX is a two letter code for what's in the file)
  3. Move the new files into the Data folder to replace the old ones.
It's as simple as that.

Since this was originally posted, there has been a location change on the Data folder. There are now two Data folders. The one mentioned in the post is not the correct folder. You need to find the other Data folder. The location is:

Mac: HD/Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/ApogeeComponents/RockSim_9/Data

Windows: Local Disk (C:)/Users/USERNAME/AppData/Local/ApogeeComponents/RockSim_9/Data

These locations are defaulted to be hidden, so if you don't have your computer set to show hidden files and folders, they will not show up.

This is also the new location for motor files.

Okay.I found the file under AppData. What do I do next to complete the overhaul?

Back