Rocksim Export of Nose Cone Data for 3D Printing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm designing an upscaled rocket for which no commercial nose cone is made anywhere close to the size in the model. In Rocksim I made the material one of the plastics in the materials list (I don't are which one, I'll pick the plastic for printing) and made it hollow with a wall thickness of 2mm. When trying to export a .stl file, Rocksim crashes. Has anyone ever tried exporting nose cone data for 3D printing? Any suggestions?

Meh, Rocksim is not a really a CAD program, so I am not surprised. If you are serious about printing stuff, then a real CAD software is in order.

Well, I've exported .svg file before to fins and have had them custom made so that export works. If the export function for .stl is there and no one has gotten it to work, then I'll feed my file to Apogee for diagnosis. I can whip the nose cone up with the Openscad routines I have, just wondering if anyone has ever gotten Rocksim exports to work...

Seems like you have found a bug in RS. Out of curiosity: What happens if you don't make the nose cone hollow or if you decrease the wall thickness to let's say 0.1mm? Anyways, I guess Apogee might be interested in your file to reproduce that.

Reinhard

Well, I've exported .svg file before to fins and have had them custom made so that export works. If the export function for .stl is there and no one has gotten it to work, then I'll feed my file to Apogee for diagnosis. I can whip the nose cone up with the Openscad routines I have, just wondering if anyone has ever gotten Rocksim exports to work...

.svg is 2D vector graphics. stl is 3D tessellation. Did Rocksim's stl export ever work in the past? I would be surprised if Rocksim knew how to tesselate a 3D object.

I advised Apogee of the issue today and expressed my concerns as I'm getting into 3D Printing of parts and they stated they're the fix is completed and to be released "hopefully" in the next few weeks.

"Yeah that is a known bug that is already fixed and will be in the next release - hopefully in the next few weeks.

Sorry for the inconvenience."

Good to know. Thanks for reporting it. Family issues of late have distracted me from my normal obsession with all things rocketry...

I haven't tried it yet but you may be able to shell it in inventor or fusion 360 also. Didn't know Rocsim exported STL files

If you have a list of x,y coordinates I can run it through my little program I use to generate solid CAD for nosecones.

EDIT: sorry, this is a zombie thread.

Back