Rocksim Design File Estes Doorknob

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketron1948

Reaction score
Does anyone have a Rocksim design file for the Estes Pro Series II Doorknob? Many thanks!

Rocketron

Here's one I designed in OpenRocket, saved as a Rocksim file. Full disclosure, it's my first OpenRocket model, and I have yet to launch my Doorknob to validate it, but I hope this helps!

Attachments

• Estes PSII Doorknob.rkt
    62.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Doorknob OR File.JPG
    Doorknob OR File.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 77
Here's one I designed in OpenRocket, saved as a Rocksim file. Full disclosure, it's my first OpenRocket model, and I have yet to launch my Doorknob to validate it, but I hope this helps!

Looks great!

How did you add those finishing details on the 3D model in Openrocket? I cant seem to find that option - only solid colors on parts. Is there a benefit to saving as Rocksim vs Openrocket file?

Looks great!

How did you add those finishing details on the 3D model in Openrocket? I cant seem to find that option - only solid colors on parts. Is there a benefit to saving as Rocksim vs Openrocket file?

Thanks! The entire rocket model is decaled using images I created in Photoshop (body wrap image attached for reference). It took some trial-and-error, but I was pleased with how it went for my first time. I saved it as an Open Rocket file because that's the program I have/use, but it's easy enough to save as a RockSim file in OR. :)

Attachments

• Doorknob Wrap_Body.jpg
    Doorknob Wrap_Body.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 20
I recently took delivery of an Estes Doorknob kit. I would like to hear from others that have built and flown this kit and how you went about it.

The first thing I noticed was the cardboard centering rings and the shock cord configuration. I am going to replace the forward CR with one made of 1/8 basswood. Then I can use a small eye bolt as a shock cord mount. For the shock cord I will start with 1/8 Kevlar string and connect 1/2 braided elastic to it.

A fellow club member papered the fins and used some epoxy for fillets. He said that his weighted in at just over 13 ounces. His only flight so far was on a CTI F36BS to 927ft. It could flight on an E20 or E30.

I recently took delivery of an Estes Doorknob kit. I would like to hear from others that have built and flown this kit and how you went about it.

The first thing I noticed was the cardboard centering rings and the shock cord configuration. I am going to replace the forward CR with one made of 1/8 basswood. Then I can use a small eye bolt as a shock cord mount. For the shock cord I will start with 1/8 Kevlar string and connect 1/2 braided elastic to it.

A fellow club member papered the fins and used some epoxy for fillets. He said that his weighted in at just over 13 ounces. His only flight so far was on a CTI F36BS to 927ft. It could flight on an E20 or E30.

This is the easiest most cost effective way to upgrade the kit- their parts fit wonderfully and frankly you cant cut the parts yourself -as well- for the $$ https://www.vander-burn.com/product/estes-doorknob-upgrades/20?cp=true&sa=true&sbp=false&q=false

Im in the process of building mine now-

Attachments

• 20210131_195146.jpg
    20210131_195146.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210201_132327.jpg
    20210201_132327.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210201_132322.jpg
    20210201_132322.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 9
Yours is looking real good. The upgrade kit looks like a good deal. I can see why you got it. I flew mine at a CMASS launch on November 21, 2020 on an Aerotech E20-4. It was a great flight that flew nice and straight. Good recovery. It was a very windy day but it landed on the field. An E20-4 is a good engine for this kit. BTW, I'm not done painting mine yet.

Attachments

• Doorknob 11-21-20.png
    Doorknob 11-21-20.png
    813.3 KB · Views: 15
Back