Rocksim 10

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far I am liking Rocksim 10. I used to be able to export the simulation data, but I can't find a way to do that in Rocksim 10. @Apogee Components , is that still possible?

What I want to do is export the Alititude / acceleration / etc... data vs time, and plot it using different software.

P.P.S.S. Wow, I'm on a roll this morning. Another thing I just noticed. When I ran a batch simulation on my LOC Minnie Mag it ran 300 engines (that took a while). The Minnie Magg can take a 4G casing, max, but it ran all case lengths. A 6GXL case almost goes to the nose cone. That obviously won't work. It would also be valuable to either pro-grammatically limit the engines to those that fit within a certain tolerance of the MMT length (e.g., no more than 20% longer) or, ideally, make case length either selectable or be a parameter the user can enter to limit the choices to engines that are legitimate for the rocket being simulated.
Bobby, another observation. While the engine files were updated for V10, they are still missing engines (at least Aerotech and Cesaroni). I know because I updated the V9 engines files last fall. Now when I rerun sims, a lot of engines fall out because they are not in the new V10 engine files. Example: Aerotech H100W DMS - it's on the Aerotech DMS data sheet and I can buy it from vendors. Kinda frustrating. I'm probably going to have to do that work all over again, but I don't want to have to do it a third time. Would you be up for a collaborative effort? If I identify errors, I document them and sent to you? I could also send you the updated .rasp files (modified filename) for you (Apogee) to verify. That way, when you re-release the engine files, everyone gets the latest updates and I don't have to do the updates again. Let me know.

P.S. Another feature add. In EngEdit, make the list of engines sort-able by engine name so that they are in order. When you simply append a new engine to the .rse file, it's not in alphabetical order. Once you add a lot of engines, trying to find the adds is like searching for a needle in a haystack.

Last edited:
Oh goodness, there it is. I thought I remembered that I used to export it from the plot window. Thank you!
Bobby, another observation. While the engine files were updated for V10, they are still missing engines (at least Aerotech and Cesaroni). I know because I updated the V9 engines files last fall. Now when I rerun sims, a lot of engines fall out because they are not in the new V10 engine files. Example: Aerotech H100W DMS - it's on the Aerotech DMS data sheet and I can buy it from vendors. Kinda frustrating. I'm probably going to have to do that work all over again, but I don't want to have to do it a third time. Would you be up for a collaborative effort? If I identify errors, I document them and sent to you? I could also send you the updated .rasp files (modified filename) for you (Apogee) to verify. That way, when you re-release the engine files, everyone gets the latest updates and I don't have to do the updates again. Let me know.

P.S. Another feature add. In EngEdit, make the list of engines sort-able by engine name so that they are in order. When you simply append a new engine to the .rse file, it's not in alphabetical order. Once you add a lot of engines, trying to find the adds is like searching for a needle in a haystack.

Hey Mike,
We updated the motor list and included every motor available. Sounds like you might still be using the V9 files?
Attached is a screenshot showing the H100W in our database.

The first release may not have had it, and may have an update bug. Those have both been fixed. I'd do a quick redownload to make sure you have the latest version and it should notify you of updates going forward.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 8.31.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 8.31.26 AM.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 11
Hey Mike,
We updated the motor list and included every motor available. Sounds like you might still be using the V9 files?
Attached is a screenshot showing the H100W in our database.

The first release may not have had it, and may have an update bug. Those have both been fixed. I'd do a quick re-download to make sure you have the latest version and it should notify you of updates going forward.
I'm using V10 files because the motors are missing. My V9 files were updated, per above. The software says there are no updates available. Are you saying I need to do a complete reinstall?

Honestly, I'm not sure why you don't have the correct motor files.

I've reached out to our developer here to look into this. I will have answers for you soon.

In the meantime, a full reinstall should work if you don't want to wait for his response.

Make sure you hit "Yes to all" on the data files pop-up. That will make sure you have the same data files I do.

Last edited:
I appreciate the ability within RockSim 10 to notify of updates, but want to be confident that the update checks are working as intended given Mike's experience.

What is the most current build version available? I'm seeing 118:

Apogee Components RockSim
Version: 10.0.0f118
Copyright: 2015 Apogee Components, Inc.
Production release, Build: 118

How much does it cost? I've not been able to find a cost on the site. I guess there are two versions. I have the original book that the software is based on for at lest low power flights, but they've extended it quite a bit with a CAD interface and what-not, as I understand it. Plus, I'm still working and don't need to get into making my own batch of spaghetti code.
Hi Blast it Tom. I see that you have “the original book that the software is based on”. I am new to the hobby and forum. I am experiencing NO JOY in loading/importing rockets and/or motors into the program. The videos from Apogee are all over the place and not particularly helpful to me. Is there a/an ACTUAL WRITTEN MANUAL for RockSim so that I can proceed step by step through the process. PLEASE HELP!! Thank you for any assistance you can provide finding WRITTEN documentation for RockSim.

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, my name is Bobby and I work at Apogee Components, and I created this account today to answer some of your questions / concerns about RockSim V10. Note, that with the world as it is right now, my time for these outreaches is a little limited, but I'll be checking this thread daily for the foreseeable future. Please feel free to leave any questions or comments here, and I'll address them (but please, troubleshooting and customer service should still be conducted through our normal channels).

That being said, I'm late to this party so let me go back and address a few things.

Kuririn said "Hopefully it isn't 10 years till 11"
Fear not! We made the changes around the development here so that we can really get RockSim to the next level. 10 is just the first step in a long list of improvements, and we've really doubled down on the RockSim development going forward.

Fattbank64 (I'm paraphrasing) said "Components and parts DB need scrubbed"
We agree! And so we did. We've fully rebuilt our parts and rocket databases for this release. If it is available on apogeerockets.com, it's in the V10 database.

FredA mentioned the new programmer and speghetti code giving him some worries. I'd like to clear up our meaning here.
Yes, he's relatively new (to us, not his profession) and RockSim is a complex program, not just in what it does, but the way it's coded. That being said, we are extremely confident in his capabilities. This guy is a rockstar, just unbelievably talented, and we're certain he's the right man to bring RockSim to new heights.

There have been questions regarding the free upgrades and how to find your license keys. Fortunately, for many of you Apogee has that information on file in your account, and should make it painless. For more information, please see this page - https://www.apogeerockets.com/blog/RockSim-10-Now-Available

Thank you all for your time and continued support of Apogee. Even though we don't hop on here to say it enough, we love this community more than you could know. You're all family in our eyes.

Please feel free to ask me anything!
Is there a/an MANUAL for step by step procedures? The videos are of far less utility to me than a standard operating manual would be. Please help. Thank you.

Is there a way to alter the size of a packed parachute? This size the that Rocksim is using for parachutes in it's database is incorrect. Or at least for the one I'm trying to use. I have a Rocketman and a Fruity Chutes of the same style and size and they pack up to 1/3 of the software's predicted size.

It's been a long time since I've used Rocksim, and I seem to remember there was a workaround.

Also, are there any plans to bring this out of the realm of model rockets? I knew picking it back up again that it was less than ideal for supersonic flights, but I guess it's worse than I remember.

I am very careful about the garbage in/garbage out possibility with these applications. I have a rocket that I've carefully simmed in RASAero, OpenRocket and Rocksim. Details have been checked for similarity many times over between the three.

Rocksim is just flat wrong. It's reporting about half the altitude of the others. I'd hate to see a waiver lost due to someone trusting Rocksim.

Granted, it's a Mach 2.7 flight, but it ruins my confidence in anything Rocksim would say about a flight above Mach 1.

Going forward, it would be great if this could be improved.

Last edited:
Granted, it's a Mach 2.7 flight, but it ruins my confidence in anything Rocksim would say about a flight above Mach 1.

Going forward, it would be great if this could be improved.

True. The drag from M=0.8 and above is way too high. Hopefully, the new programmer addresses this once and for all. I am like you, I jump into RASAeroII at this point.

I'm using V10 files because the motors are missing. My V9 files were updated, per above. The software says there are no updates available. Are you saying I need to do a complete reinstall?

I've seen this as well. Typically it is with motors that I have downloaded and installed in V9. There seems to be a compatibility issue. It's easily resolved however, Just update the sim to include the H100 / motor that comes standard now with Rockism and you are off to the races. It's really nice having a current motor list.

Two comments about the "Predict optimal mass...." First the plot says "Sustainter" and second, I often get very bogus results from the simulation. Sometimes it matches my simulations quite well, other times it is a little off, other times the simulation results are just way off. It seems somewhat buggy and unrepeatable. I'm not sure what is going on with the optimal mass simulations.

FWIW, I'm attaching this simple rocksim file that shows the problem.

1593542319779.png

Attachments

• Alt_E.rkt
    35 KB · Views: 3
Two comments about the "Predict optimal mass...." First the plot says "Sustainter" and second, I often get very bogus results from the simulation. Sometimes it matches my simulations quite well, other times it is a little off, other times the simulation results are just way off. It seems somewhat buggy and unrepeatable. I'm not sure what is going on with the optimal mass simulations.

FWIW, I'm attaching this simple rocksim file that shows the problem.

View attachment 422649
Try removing the delay or make it a huge number, like 30 sec. The ejection delay may be prematurely peaking the flight before it reaches true apogee for the given mass.This can throw off search algorithm.

Try removing the delay or make it a huge number, like 30 sec. The ejection delay may be prematurely peaking the flight before it reaches true apogee for the given mass.This can throw off search algorithm.

I'll give it a try, but the delay is 8 seconds, and at 170 feet I don't even think that the motor has burned out yet. A previous optimal mass simulation gave nearly sensible numbers with the same motor. I get different results from one run to the next.

In the meantime, a full reinstall should work if you don't want to wait for his response.

Make sure you hit "Yes to all" on the data files pop-up. That will make sure you have the same data files I do.
OK, I'm finally getting around to this. Do I do a complete reinstall by downloading the trial version and applying my V10 key? I tried going through the upgrade screens on your website, but my V9 key is not accepted when I enter it to download the upgrade package.

OK, I'm finally getting around to this. Do I do a complete reinstall by downloading the trial version and applying my V10 key? I tried going through the upgrade screens on your website, but my V9 key is not accepted when I enter it to download the upgrade package.
P.S. It would be simpler just to post or send me the Aerotech.rse file and I'll import it.

Ground control to Major Tom, Earth to Apogee, anybody there?

I'm considering upgrading from V9 to 10. I looked at the email that I got when V10 was announced, and there is a link they tell you go click on. I haven't yet upgraded; I need to move my design folder to a safe place before upgrading.

Is there a V11 or other changes to V10 coming up anytime soon? Just wanted to check before upgrading.

Tim Van Milligan said last night a the virtual NARAM manufacturer’s forum that as soon as the in-house programmer for Rocksim comes back from vacation the first task is to fix a bug related to cluster models. He was pretty circumspect about any planned changes in the near future.

Hmm... okay then. In your opinion, is it worth upgrading and having to relearn a bunch of things? In particular, I really have issues with the parts databases and difficulty in adding motors in V9.

Hmm... okay then. In your opinion, is it worth upgrading and having to relearn a bunch of things? In particular, I really have issues with the parts databases and difficulty in adding motors in V9.

To add to what Buckeye said, the parts databases and motor selections have been updated. This has actually been the main benefit of V10 for me so far. I was really happy that blue tube is now included in the stock parts database and I don't have to hassle with adding it. I was able to get it to work in 9, but it was a chore.

Is there a crashlog somewhere? I am running into constant crashes in RS10 when using the "recommended motors" option, and I'd like to be able to send Apogee something to help them narrow down the bug.

Rocksim does a pretty good job estimating altitude for smaller rockets but in doing calculations on say a 38mm MD it seems to show altitudes far less than what I see claimed out there.
For example the best I can get RS to predict on an H160 is about 10 or 11k feet. That includes optimal mass and shrinking the components to a minimum.
Is it possible to go to 15k with an H160 or is Rocksim just not good in that configuration?

Rocksim does a pretty good job estimating altitude for smaller rockets but in doing calculations on say a 38mm MD it seems to show altitudes far less than what I see claimed out there.
For example the best I can get RS to predict on an H160 is about 10 or 11k feet. That includes optimal mass and shrinking the components to a minimum.
Is it possible to go to 15k with an H160 or is Rocksim just not good in that configuration?

Check the source of the H160 thrust curve. Is there more than one? Is the variation published with the certification data?

What is your launch elevation and weather conditions? A hot, humid day in Denver will probably show another 1000 ft AGL vs. sea level.

Is your speed approaching M=1? Rocksim has unrealistically high drag in this regime. I usually switch over to RASAero at this point.

Back