Rocksim 10.2 update now available, but can't download...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill S

Reaction score
Anyone have a workaround for the inability to download it with the "check for updates" feature of Rocksim 10.1?

So in other words, I guess I have to go through the same procedure I did to go from 10.0 to 10.1? Strange that the software can't download updates and update itself like most other programs.

So in other words, I guess I have to go through the same procedure I did to go from 10.0 to 10.1? Strange that the software can't download updates and update itself like most other programs.
It can. Go to Help, Check for updates and select the full version. I noted this in my previous post. No databases were updated in this update, just the program itself.

It's a default. The description on the Apogee website says to say no to the DB updates, but then again, it asks you every time you open the program. You have to delete the files in the import folder for it to stop asking. They still have some work to do on their software distribution packing....

Unsure why the download won't work, it's baffling. THe Apogee website is absolutely terrible when it comes to finding info on version updates and downloading the latest software. You really have to root around. Here are the instructions from the website:

UPDATE (2-19-2021): For some reason on many Windows computers, the "Check for Updates" is NOT working. Try going to your Programs (x86) folder and open your RockSim folder. On the RockSim program, right click and Run as Administrator. Then check for updates again and see if the window pops up.

If not, the work-around is to download the Free Trial Version here (as a user of RockSim 10, you'll find it is already activated as a full edition!). But please watch this video first, and then go download the trial version.

So, just go through the necessary motions of downloading the trial version, it's the full version and recognizes your Rocksim key when you install it. PITA...

Watched the video, followed instructions, went to my computer name, clicked on users and there was no hidden file, no VIEW button either. Definitely a PITA. I’m going ahead and downloading trial version to update. My Design folder is already dragged onto my desktop. I will lose my parts file that I created and the motors I have added. Absolutely a PITA. It’s either that or stay with version 10.0.0

I keep my parts files and updated engine file copies in my own directory. I've never quite trusted Rocksims update processes for these files, it's arcane to say the least. That way I can overwrite the stock files if the updates compromise my updates.

I keep my parts files and updated engine file copies in my own directory. I've never quite trusted Rocksims update processes for these files, it's arcane to say the least. That way I can overwrite the stock files if the updates compromise my updates.

Good idea, if only I could find my parts files, lol. Good thing, is that I only created a few things, like a rail guide and rail button using the custom fins option. I did also add my parachutes, SkyAngle and Aerotech, but these are all repeatable with a little effort.

Update: I pulled my design folder out to my desktop, then downloaded the newest version (trial) and when I opened the program, it was already validated since I bought the program. I added my Design folder back and they’re all there, even the parts I added, despite the fact that I couldn’t find the folder prior to downloading the new version.

I don’t really care for the format/font when on the parts screen, it looks kinda like a spreadsheet, but I will get used to it, lol . . . minor complaint, but worth having the latest version. Anybody know what has been changed/added?

Also, does anybody know how to add extra plan points when creating custom fins? I’m stuck with using only four plan points. I downloaded a file for the Cherokee rocket that was created by the late James Marino (R.I.P.) and he used multiple points to create the rounded corners on the fins, but I don’t know how he did it.

Last edited:
Also, does anybody know how to add extra plan points when creating custom fins? I’m stuck with using only four plan points. I downloaded a file for the Cherokee rocket that was created by the late James Marino (R.I.P.) and he used multiple points to create the rounded corners on the fins, but I don’t know how he did it.

Henry, First, make sure you have inserted a "custom fin" set instead of just fins. When editing the custom fin set, click on the "Plan points" tab. To add a single point, just click on the fin graphic where you would like to add the point. You should be able to add/delete as many as you like. Rocksim also has a feature to automatically create the rounded corners. Just select the plan point that you'd like to round. On the buttons above the fin plan, select "Chamfer at selected point" You'll then be given options for the radius of the rounded corner and the number of plan points to use. It's a neat feature. Here's a pic of one I've been working on (the chamfer button is the one highlighted in blue).

custom fin.jpg

Good luck.
--MARK
NAR 65148 L1

Thanks Mark, I will be working on that tonight!

WOOT WOOT WOOT! Just did the chamfer and the fins look awesome. Now to go to my SBR The Bomb simulation and see if I can get accurate fins. Though, I am sure I was using the “Custom Fin” tab, I will see.

No joy creating the correct shape of fin, as Rocksim is dead set on keeping the fourth plan point anchored and when I try to create any plan points inside the final plan point, it makes weird shapes. Even when I try to delete all plan points so I can start fresh, it won’t work.

Also, I find that this latest version of Rocksim V10.2 crashes a lot. I’ve had it crash three times within half an hour.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="hball55, post: 2121277, member: 15135"}
Also, I find that this latest version of Rocksim V10.2 crashes a lot. I’ve had it crash three times within half an hour.
[/QUOTE]
It crashes less than 10.1, but still crashes more than it should....

I've got the 10.2.0f37 version in now and seems to be working fine. I had to download the whole version, not just updates, but seemed alright. I said "no to all" new folders or whatever. I've tried it on a few models and seems to be doing fine.

I am also having other problems, the last two rockets I have created won’t sim. The rocket image doesn’t show up in the sim and no altitude is recorded. The first rocket all of a sudden started showing the rocket and recording altitude. The second rocket, so far isn’t showing up or recording altitude.

This is starting to 🤬 me off. I haven’t just started to do things wrong, it’s obviously something with the program, especially since it did this earlier today and then suddenly started working despite me changing nothing. Earlier, the program crashed and when I started it back up, the new rocket started recording altitude. I haven’t got it to crash yet, but I have closed the program and started back up, and I’ve even rebooted the computer and tried to run a sim on the new rocket and it still won’t sim flight.

Last edited:
I am also having other problems, the last two rockets I have created won’t sim. The rocket image doesn’t show up in the sim and no altitude is recorded. The first rocket all of a sudden started showing the rocket and recording altitude. The second rocket, so far isn’t showing up or recording altitude.

This is starting to 🤬 me off. I haven’t just started to do things wrong, it’s obviously something with the program, especially since it did this earlier today and then suddenly started working despite me changing nothing. Earlier, the program crashed and when I started it back up, the new rocket started recording altitude. I haven’t got it to crash yet, but I have closed the program and started back up, and I’ve even rebooted the computer and tried to run a sim on the new rocket and it still won’t sim flight.
I had a similar issue.

What is the icon in the Results column? If the crash icon is visible, the proposed motor does not have insufficient thrust to lift the rocket.

I emailed a file to Apogee and received the following response:

"I am able to run the motors just fine. Are you seeing the kit file not launch for any motors, or does a problematic kit file fly fine on some motors and not on others? ie. Is it the kit file, or the kit/motor combination that is the issue?

Nan stands for "not a number". That usually happens when one of the components is built out of a material that is not in the database. Usually the material is listed as "custom", but I've seen it happen with other materials that someone who made the file had in their database that is not in your own database.

The second culprit that can cause it is pods. There are some instances where pods will work fine on the designer's file, but if someone else opens that file, it won't work. The way to figure that one out is to delete the pods one at a time until the rocket flies.

I am not seeing anything on your file that would cause either, so you might need to do a little detective work, checking the parts."

I checked the usual suspects for errors: vanes, fins, and airframe etc. I did a sim with a different motor and there were no issues.

I had a similar issue.

What is the icon in the Results column? If the crash icon is visible, the proposed motor does not have insufficient thrust to lift the rocket.

I emailed a file to Apogee and received the following response:

"I am able to run the motors just fine. Are you seeing the kit file not launch for any motors, or does a problematic kit file fly fine on some motors and not on others? ie. Is it the kit file, or the kit/motor combination that is the issue?

Nan stands for "not a number". That usually happens when one of the components is built out of a material that is not in the database. Usually the material is listed as "custom", but I've seen it happen with other materials that someone who made the file had in their database that is not in your own database.

The second culprit that can cause it is pods. There are some instances where pods will work fine on the designer's file, but if someone else opens that file, it won't work. The way to figure that one out is to delete the pods one at a time until the rocket flies.

I am not seeing anything on your file that would cause either, so you might need to do a little detective work, checking the parts."

I checked the usual suspects for errors: vanes, fins, and airframe etc. I did a sim with a different motor and there were no issues.

What file are you looking at, lol? Doesn’t matter, you solved my problem, I didn’t notice but my fin material was listed as CUSTOM. I changed it to 1/16” plywood and WHOOSH, the sim worked and I got an altitude readout 🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩. Thank you sir.

Apparently, I WAS suddenly doing something wrong. The rocket I was having the problem with first, was the NCR SR-99 Hyperswift, but somehow it started working without me changing anything; that rocket has pods and I was using the Apogee created Rocksim file. The one you helped me with, I created the file of the Launch Lab Bullet Billy, where it turned out the fin material was listed as custom, which I then changed and the sim started running just fine.

Last edited:
still can't get a launch on my rockets. This really stinks...
the only way to get any data is to look at "recommended motors" only

Did you look at all the parts you used and make sure none of them showed the material as being “custom?” Fattbank64 pointed that out to me and that was why it didn’t work for me.

What file are you looking at, lol? Doesn’t matter, you solved my problem, I didn’t notice but my fin material was listed as CUSTOM. I changed it to 1/16” plywood and WHOOSH, the sim worked and I got an altitude readout 🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩. Thank you sir.

Apparently, I WAS suddenly doing something wrong. The rocket I was having the problem with first, was the NCR SR-99 Hyperswift, but somehow it started working without me changing anything; that rocket has pods and I was using the Apogee created Rocksim file. The one you helped me with, I created the file of the Launch Lab Bullet Billy, where it turned out the fin material was listed as custom, which I then changed and the sim started running just fine.

This dumb error existed in Rocksim long before version 10. If a part is 'custom' material that the database doesn't understand, or if a parachute has zero thickness, or some such thing, the rocket would sit on the pad and not launch. This error handling needs to be much improved.

This dumb error existed in Rocksim long before version 10. If a part is 'custom' material that the database doesn't understand, or if a parachute has zero thickness, or some such thing, the rocket would sit on the pad and not launch. This error handling needs to be much improved.

If the parachute has zero thickness, it won’t let you leave that screen until you either change it or cancel it. The custom material one finally caught up with me, lol.

Back