Rockets That Use A Disc For Stabilization

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakeroadster

When in doubt... build hell-for-stout!
Reaction score
This thread started to minimize thread drift on THIS THREAD

... There was another, I think, Centuri design that used just a series of maybe five centering rings with a space between. I have one built here somewhere...

Sorry, the office has become a crowded area since the flood. I can barely find the floor.

Found it! Okay, although it sports an Estes decal I'm sure this was a Centuri design. 21" (53.34 cm) long including the nose cone. BT-50 tube. Flies well on Bs, Cs overwhelm it a little. We have been skywriting with this one on a C6-3...

Rin fin edit.jpg

Ring fins.... of the centering rings variety... cool. Kind of reminds me of that rocket that looked like a hypodermic syringe.

Here's a .ork of something similar to what @Cape Byron posted... in the event if folks want to goof around with it.

1649871562127.png

Attachments

• The Discor Model Rocket.ork
    150.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
He said it's Twister on the way up, and hopefully not Auger on the way down. 😁
Launch Lug?

I wonder if he did an Open Rocket sim? I did on my "Thunk!" rocket and it actually shows the roll rate if you download that data as an Excel file. Maximum roll rate, per Open Rocket, is 65 rotations per second (3,900 rpm's) :oops: which happens 0.04 seconds before motor burnout occurs...

Too many rpm's at deployment I would think will result in a wadded up chute.... maybe a streamer is a better choice?

Last edited:
View attachment 514073

Here's the CAD render. I don't think he simmed it, but I may be wrong.

I love these renders and the idea of building per Lakeroadster's cardstock post. (Ironically, the thread that was started to keep from derailing a different thread so we could talk about disc rockets is now about twisty rockets is not at all lost on me. . .but I love it!).

Maybe your buddy who did this would consider using a piston launcher (brought back into my mind because of the cool research project Shockie is doing)? I imagine the goal of this design isn't to win an FAI competition, so you could use just about any piston launcher concept that was easy to build. The advantage could be that you could get rid of the launch lug aesthetically (which is kind of a big deal - it reduces the elegance of the implementation, even though it is great CAD modelling for sure) and it might even help performance, as the rocket could start spinning up on the central axis immediatly vs. whipping around the launch rod (and possibly departing at a unique/random angle as it could cause more rod whip that typical).

The design is too awesome to have anything less than perfect success, so if the launch lug version had pad issues, please try to convince him to build a piston or maybe use a sabot in a tower. The ONLY thing I would possibly suggest for a design change to this version is to make a different nosecone with some twist/loft to add that design element to the front as well. Not nearly as aggressive, but maybe suggesting at the front it was round and just barely started to twist, but by the end, it was twisting like crazy. Very cool idea!

Sandy.

Of course! Even my original name and avatar back in the Skippy days. Now how did I become convinced that @Bohica ‘s design came from Centuri?
I never built the 300% upscale but now I'm wanting to do it again. Back in TRF days when Carl was running it from a PC in his basement on a cable modem.

Deleted by request.

That's a bummer. I assume it was the originator of the design that asked? If so, I completely understand and respect the choice to protect his work. I hope he iterates a bit and makes it a product that can be purchased, as it had very nice visual impact in my opinion.

Sandy.

Back