rockets that are night flight capible

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrapDaddy

Reaction score
Does anyone know any LPR or MPR that are equiped to fly at night in stock condition? Thanks :)

Oooooo I saw their website last night but I forgot about them is there anyone else?:D

Well, there's the Estes Astrobeam, which is actually a VERY cool looking kit for night launches...

Then of course there's the 'scratchie' night flyers, which are the faves at our (Challenger 498) night launches...

I've actually got several of the night flyers currently sitting on my shelf, as they started drifting towards the end of the evening and I spent an extra half hour or so on the golf cart with my daughter in the back pasture (which had just been cut for hay right before our last night launch) and we recovered a couple wayward night flyers that went AWOL.

Mine is a sorta Big Bertha clone using 24 mm BP motors, either D12-3 or E9-4's... it has one of those children's "whirlygig" spinning ring with LED's inside a clear plastic globe type toys, which I pick up for like $3 each at TSC, among other places. They're powered by AA batteries so they last a pretty long time, but they're kinda heavy (but fine for a "D" or "E" powered rocket). It recovers under a 24-32 inch parachute. The rocket has a large standoff one one side and the launch lug is halfway out one fin, to clear the ~3 inch globe of the whirlygig toy. It's made from paper towel tubes covered with typing paper. She's rough but she went together cheap and dirty and flies great and looks awesome in the air... I call her the "Warp Drive". The whirlygig toy's "press and hold for on" button is held "on" by wrapping some electric tape around the handle with a bit of balsa strategically placed to hold the button down, yet can be wiggled off the button after recovery for reloading, to preserve the batteries.

Mikus's bird this year for the night launch was a Baby Bertha, equipped with a small push-button LED light taped under the nosecone in the hole left from the blow-molding process used to make the cone. The cone is painted flourescent pink and the LED light shining into it causes it to glow brightly. The LED can also be set to flashing mode, which is cool. It looks really good and flew well, but beware of weak springs under the batteries and shim the batteries up tight!

I've got another rocket here that looks to be a Stormcaster or something similar. It has a small LED lit "probe" sticking out of the nose-- a clear plastic rod with a few odd bubbles in it lit from the base of it (inside the tip of the nosecone) so the whole rod glows bright blue. He also painted the rocket with some of the washable glow-in-the-dark paint from Hobby Lobby-- you couldn't really see the glow in the dark paint flying at night-- it's far too faint, but it looks awfully ghostly sitting on my rocket shelf happily glowing eerily at night in the living room!! Also beware, because after the dew falls, you will find your hands glowing after handling the rocket because the paint will come off on you wherever you touch the rocket.

After year before last's night launch, we had two MIA rockets-- Mikus's Blue Ninja with several glow sticks taped to the outside, and Dave's "Hi-Jax" with a simple flashing red LED "beer bottle" lapel pin turned on and crammed into the clear payload tube with a bit of foam to keep it from rattling around too much. The wind had kicked up a bit and carried them off, but I found the LED powered Hi-Jax within about ten minutes of everyone leaving. Despite searching the pastures for about an hour or so, I never could find the Blue Ninja, well, not until a couple months later when I was out feeding cows and happened upon it out in the pasture in an unanticipated area-- it had suffered some from the wet winter weather and had a couple broken fins, the tube had seen better days but was intact, and the prismatic tube wraps were faded out completely on the top skyward side from sitting in the sun, and the shock cord turned to crumbles... but otherwise it was amazingly intact, LED lightsticks and all... I'd recommend against the LED lightsticks-- the light intensity is just too low to see these rockets in flight or even on the ground after recovery...

I've got two projects in the works for this year's night launch-- I got some neat LED lights at Academy that have built in flashlights in one end, and a semi-clear tube on the other, with an LED shining up into it... Some are red, some green, some blue. The clear tube has a cap on the end, and if you take the cap off, the end of the tube has a whistle built into it. All of that is clear so the whistle and cap glow the same color as the tube. It should fit in a BT-50. Here's the link: https://www.lifegearcompany.com/glowsticks.html
I'm thinking of either using them as a nosecone for a BT-50 size rocket, or using them as outriggers or "warp nacelles" for some kind of night rocket...

The other project I'm working on is top secret...

Later! OL JR :)

DSCF3092.jpg

DSCF3091.jpg

DSCF3093.jpg

DSCF3094.jpg

DSCF3101.jpg

Few more pics... including the Warp Drive... though she lost two fins in storage that need to be glued back on... :)

later! OL JR :)

DSCF3105.jpg

DSCF3109.jpg

DSCF3103.jpg

DSCF3102.jpg

DSCF3108.jpg

For our last night launch I went to the dollar store and picked up a led lighted necklace and wraped it around a Estes Blue ninja and used some black tape to tape it on. was well light up and could see very well. after the launch was over i removed the lights and was back to stock :)

I second this. I took an LED necklace purchased on eBay and wrapped around a Public Enemy Fat Boy (screwed in with plastic wiring clamp) and added a strobe under the parachute. This worked great for the MWP7 night launch.

For our last night launch I went to the dollar store and picked up a led lighted necklace and wraped it around a Estes Blue ninja and used some black tape to tape it on. was well light up and could see very well. after the launch was over i removed the lights and was back to stock :)

Similiar to the above, i have used a dozen or so small chemlumes that are about 3cm long and 5 mm in diameter and put them loose in a parachute.
when launched at night the lumes simply fall out back to earth and the launch area gets rained on with light, which is pretty cool.

Individual creativity and inspiration cannot be manufactured.

MarkII

The astrobeam is a great rocket for what it does and I can personally vouch for the fact the the lighting system works at -40C.
Cheers
fred

THANK YOU.

I would have never known of that mosquito.

thank you...thank you.

i'll have to get one.
i'm a mosquito nut.:D

To answer the question...
There are obviously a few kits that have lights on them. However, LED's are not too hard to wire up.

Also, there is this "light tube" that my local hobbytown sells for use on model planes, why not rockets?

you get a few feet for like $11.95 and it runs on button cells batteries I believe.

I second this. I took an LED necklace purchased on eBay and wrapped around a Public Enemy Fat Boy (screwed in with plastic wiring clamp) and added a strobe under the parachute. This worked great for the MWP7 night launch.

Where'd you get your strobe?? I'm looking for one for my top secret project... :) OL JR :)

THANK YOU.

I would have never known of that mosquito.

thank you...thank you.

i'll have to get one.
i'm a mosquito nut.:D

To answer the question...
There are obviously a few kits that have lights on them. However, LED's are not too hard to wire up.

Also, there is this "light tube" that my local hobbytown sells for use on model planes, why not rockets?

you get a few feet for like $11.95 and it runs on button cells batteries I believe.

Sounds like a great idea... got a link?? :D

Does anyone know any LPR or MPR that are equiped to fly at night in stock condition? Thanks :)

I got a Quest Magnum a few weeks ago that, for some reason, came with a clear nose cone/transition for its payload section. I don't know how many were made like that, but if you get one, just build it stock, then drop a cracked light stick into it!

Sounds like a great idea... got a link?? :D

Not sure if you have ever heard of daft punk, but they use the same lighting on their suits.

The stuff is called EL wire, the packets at HT are 4 feet i think, i didn't realize their was a cheaper way to buy it Here.

Not badly priced, and it is VERY bright.

FWIW, you may want to see this thread about night models that were being prepared for flying at NARAM-51 last August.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=4680

I just added to that thread a badly needed update about the model I flew.
(it is in the photo below).

What I flew in no way falls into the category of “stock”. But the thread has a lot of idea by others of some things that could be done, or added to some existing models. And I posted something else for an LED “flasher” unit that is pretty easy to do.

The Estes Astrobeam.... nice idea, but the LED’s are sorta wimpy. Most of the ones on my model (and the "flasher") were 20,000 mcd's of brightness.

- George Gassaway

Attachments

• IMG_6721.JPG
    IMG_6721.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Diab-Glo was a higher end , High powered rocket. As Jim pointed out Leading Edge Rocketry and one Estes kit are the only ready made kits out there.

Diab-Glo will return, but this time a few changes will be made. One of them will be, no Soldering will be required, large chute area and last but not least , " Larger Motors" up to a 38/720 case, yes a J350 will fit. this will happen later this year.

DIY is the best way, Estes and other LP and MP rocket nose cones are easely modified due to their translucent properties. Battery powering LEDs are one of the best ways and LEDS are getting VERY bright, but watch out for what I call "powervamps" like 3watt Star type, they use 750ma to run. But now I just seen some that are 200,000mcd LEDs that only use 20ma, less bright but run for hours and still WAY Bright.

I still like fast changing( flashing ) colors on LEDS with NO off time, so something is alway on and easy to see.

Below is a Booster section of a 4" Thor-Glo I just finished

These are shots of my unfinished helicopter recovery rocket. The spring-loaded, clear blades were designed to hold 3 dollar-store light sticks each. It worked well but was lost on the night launch. I painted it with glow in the dark paint, but this was a mistake. The paint did not glow, even after being charged for an hour or so under light, and even if it had, would not have been visible enough.

100_2058.JPG

100_2059.JPG

I got a Quest Magnum a few weeks ago that, for some reason, came with a clear nose cone/transition for its payload section. I don't know how many were made like that, but if you get one, just build it stock, then drop a cracked light stick into it!

Light sticks are WEAK!!! One of our guys lost his Blue Ninja that had a half dozen light sticks taped all along it on the outside of the rocket.

It may look good in your hand, it may look good on the pad, but YOU WILL LOSE SIGHT OF IT THE INSTANT IT LIFTS OFF! You are VERY unlikely to regain sight of it at altitude or on the recovery... even laying on the ground, you have to be within a few feet of a glowstick equipped rocket to see it. It has to do with the way our eyes adapt to the light. The bright 'dazzling' light of the engine totally washes out the glowstick light and even after your eyes adapt back (several minutes at a minimum) glowstick rockets are VERY hard to see on the ground... Basically you have to KNOW where to look to ever see it, and if you KNEW where to look EXACTLY you could find it in the dark with NO light... :)

My advice-- use active lighting. LED's are cheap and easy to wire up and don't need a massive power source to work well. You can ADD lightsticks for the 'coolness factor' but don't rely on them as your only source of light. Leave em for the kids to play with... :) OL JR :)

I WONDER IF ANYONE SELLS LASERS.......

You can get pen size laser pointers in red, green and blue but I'm not sure the light is intense enough to see at a distance and you would likely have to rig up a way to make sure the laser pointer landed pointing straight up if you hope to recover your rocket.

No, lasers are meant to be strapped onto the heads of sharks...

MarkII

Lasers are horrible illumination sources because while they are very bright, they are very directional. You can be charged with a felony if you point a laser at an aircraft because it can cause temporary blindness and disorientation to a pilot. Since you have no control over the direction of a rocket mounted pointer, you could be in some serious trouble with the FAA and DHS should you accidently paint an aircraft.

It's just not a smart thing to do.

Bob

Back