Rockets of the World

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred22

Reaction score
The Alway book is now availible again for NAR :) It is simply an incredible book which goes for a good price on their site and buying it means supporting a great organisation. There are also the suppliments which add to the book. I wiuld like to try scratch builds this year so this book is going to be well used :)
https://www.nar.org/NARTS/index.html

The Alway book is now availible again for NAR :) It is simply an incredible book which goes for a good price on their site and buying it means supporting a great organisation. There are also the suppliments which add to the book. I wiuld like to try scratch builds this year so this book is going to be well used :)
https://www.nar.org/NARTS/index.html

As one of those facinated by Scale modeling I can whole heartedly second Freds comments. and would like to add the suppliments are as important as the main books. I've litterly worn out my first addition.

I'd also like to point out Peters books are a MUST HAVE starting point for any serious rocketry scale models.

I have a question about the 4th edition.

The 4th edition is a straight reprint of the 3rd edition and has none of the supplements materials included in it. Is this a correct statement?

I seem to remember reading this somewhere and do not remember where.

I have a question about the 4th edition.

The 4th edition is a straight reprint of the 3rd edition and has none of the supplements materials included in it. Is this a correct statement?

Correct. It's a reprint of the 3rd, with some minor changes to denote the NAR's role in printing it.

Still worth having if yours is wearing out or you missed it last time!!

Thanks for confirming that. My wife got me 4th edition for Christmas and just wanted to know if I still needed to get the supplements at a later date.

I've been using my newly acquired Rockets of the World as a reference point
while building my vintage Estes (K-29) Saturn 1-B.....:D Pic below was taken
last night as I was working on the detailing of the Service Module (still have
some more work to do).

Estes K-29 Saturn 1-B Build 005.jpg

Estes K-29 Saturn 1-B Build 002.jpg

I've been using my newly acquired Rockets of the World as a reference point
while building my vintage Estes (K-29) Saturn 1-B.....:D Pic below was taken
last night as I was working on the detailing of the Service Module (still have
some more work to do).

As per usual dave I cant wait to see the final results :)
Cheers
fred

Can someone recommend a shop in the UK that sells this or a shop that will ship it to the UK? There is only one shop that I can get to display the shipping price, and it is $40 :eek: which is more than the book.
Thanks
James

Finally managed to get me a copy, and my first impression is: WOW! :D

All I had seen before were some screen resolution plates from the internet, and the information and detail in the actual book is incredible. There is so much there I don't know where to start!

Great job.

Is there a compemdium of the rockets that are covered in the book and each of the supplements? I have an eye on a couple of scale models I'd like to make for NARTREK Silver, but I want to find out which of the supplements I'd need to get.

Wife got me the ROW book and first supplement for Christmas. I echo the thoughts already expressed. What a great resource! Well worth the investment if you plan to do any amount of scale work.

I used my 3rd edition to build a MMX sport scale WAC Corporal. (I'll post pictures when I have 'em handy.) It's a great resource, and many of the rockets in the book are excellent subjects for micromaxx.

Is there a compemdium of the rockets that are covered in the book and each of the supplements? I have an eye on a couple of scale models I'd like to make for NARTREK Silver, but I want to find out which of the supplements I'd need to get.

Each of the 5 supplements contain different Launch Vehicles and/or Sounding rockets not found in the Main Book. I don't recall seeing many if any duplication of drawings or data between the suppliments.

I bought ROTW almost 10 years ago as well as I now have all the supplements to go along with it and I bought the poster when I bought the book.

One of the best purchases I ever made !!!

Paul T

Each of the 5 supplements contain different Launch Vehicles and/or Sounding rockets not found in the Main Book. I don't recall seeing many if any duplication of drawings or data between the suppliments.

Right. The purpose of the supplements was to cover new and different subjects. The only overlap was with "In the Shadow of the V-2" which overlapped with several books and booklets.

When I had catalogs and a website for the books I had which rocket was in which booklet all laid out, but alas, that information is completely scattered now.

While I'm enjoying my "retirement" from the book business, I do think it would be cool to bring all those rockets together into one monster 2-inch-thick 5th edition of "Rockets of the World." But I'm not anywere near feeling up to doing all that work!

I`m just glad you had the ambition to even consider the project.

We are all better rocketeers because of it and yourself !

I keep ROTW on my night table always at the ready(no kidding) ;)

Paul T

When I had catalogs and a website for the books I had which rocket was in which booklet all laid out, but alas, that information is completely scattered now.

1999:
Pencil
Baby
Private A
Centaure
Aeolus
Flamenco
Black Brant VC
Long Tom
Eridan
Aerobee 300A
Super Chief
Black Brant IX
V-1-Ye
Titan Satellite Launch Vehicle

2000:
Black Brant VII
Rohini RH-200
Arcon
RX-250-LPN
LS-A
VS-40
Astrobee F
Blue Scout Junior
Scout X-1
Blue Scout
ASLV
PSLV
H-II
Ariane 5

2001:
10" Spherical Motor
2.25" Aircraft Rocket with Twisted Monoplane Fins
RM-2
Sonda S1-S2
PEPP Aeroshell
RM-10
E-17
KSR-I
Hermes A-3A
Terrier-Malemute
Hermes A-3B
WASP

2002:
Doorknob
Dauphin
Hawk Motor Test
Orion
Hyperion
Doorknob (2-stage)
Black Brant I
Mercury Beach Abort
Black Brant VIII
Dazzle Black Knight
Jaribu Mk. 2
V-5-V
Atlas-Agena A

2003:
Black Brant VI
Hopi-Dart
ALSOR
Meteor-2H
S-520
SS-520
Nike-Orion
Taurus-Orion
Aries
Athena I
Project Fire
Atlas II

2004:
Zenit
Skua
Raven
Javelin III
Hydac
Fulmar
Aerobee 100 Jr.
Nike-Iroquois
Athena H
Atlas-Agena B
Soyuz-Fregat

Last edited:
While I'm enjoying my "retirement" from the book business, I do think it would be cool to bring all those rockets together into one monster 2-inch-thick 5th edition of "Rockets of the World." But I'm not anywere near feeling up to doing all that work!

I would definitely be interested in that, I'm sure people would love to help out, I would, but I'd have to be constantly guided, and it'd probably be no less than you doing the whole project by yourself :wink:

Thanks for the info about that NIKE smoke a few days ago too, maybe I'll paint one that way if I end up getting it.

Braden

I am very tempted to buy this book but I am looking for a very specific piece of information. I need the dimensions of the Skylab cone used atop the final functional Saturn V vehicle, in order to make a fiberglass replacement for an Apogee Saturn V. Can anyone let me know if the book contains that bit of info, or where else I could find it? I just need the angles and real life measurements, no weight or material data.

I don't have my copy in front of me, but I seem to recall that being part of the Saturn V data that is included.

kj

I am very tempted to buy this book but I am looking for a very specific piece of information. I need the dimensions of the Skylab cone used atop the final functional Saturn V vehicle, in order to make a fiberglass replacement for an Apogee Saturn V. Can anyone let me know if the book contains that bit of info, or where else I could find it? I just need the angles and real life measurements, no weight or material data.

It looks like the information is there on page 288 of my copy (3rd edition, 1999). It has 2 pictures of Skylab shown 180 deg. apart with station numbers, but no diameters. It is shown next to the Saturn V stack and I assume that it is the same scale. You would need to lay down a ruler and take measurements.

Have you checked the Scale section?? I posted a bunch of stuff on various NASA projects...

Later! OL JR :)

Back