Rockets in Washington, DC?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drdale55

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm not new to rockets. I guess I would be considered 'old to rockets' since I started back when Estes started. Now I would like to get my grandson started but they live in DC and I have no idea what the local laws are. Any ideas how I find out before I put in a Christmas order? Thanks,

Dale

NARHAMS has a monthly launch at Goddard Space Flight Center as well as Old Pike park. Great group of people and they welcome all newcommers. Size is useally kept to low/mid power due to field size and proximity to the tree line. Check here (https://www.narhams.org/index.html) for more details. Additionally, a modest drive out RT50 across the bay will take you to Maryland Deleware Rocketry Assn. MDRA has a couple of great launch sites and they have a regular, weekend long, monthly launch. They fly everything from 1/4 A to the largest L3 project they can get. Again, a great group of people. It's a little farther but it's worth the drive. My family and I useally make a day of it. They can be reached here : https://www.mdrocketry.org/ . With both clubs, kids fly free as they are both commited to education and furthering the hobby. As for any place in town, tough to say. Since America turned into land of the lawsuit most parks and schoolyards have become off limits. You'd have to check with whichever governing body has authority over any specific field you might want to use.
Best of luck.

MDRA!! WOOT! Go there ;) Come to the December launch and see an O motor. a GREEN One!!

Ben

Hey Dale--

I'm a model and high power rocketeer and I live in the District (specifically in Columbia Heights / Petworth). I typically fly with MDRA (definitely worth the drive!) but have also been to a couple NOVAAR launches. I don't know many other rocketeers who actually live in DC itself (I think I was one of two registered flyers from DC at the last LDRS) but would love to make some rocket friends to build with, carpool to launches with, etc. Unfortunately I don't know much about low power launches in the immediate area, but let me know if I can do anything to help get your son/grandson hooked!

Also within a quick drive is Battlepark.
https://www.battlepark.org/

I live just north of Washington DC and I can think of several clubs within driving distance... MDRA, Narhams, NOVAAR, Battlepark, and VAST.

Hi All,
I'm not new to rockets. I guess I would be considered 'old to rockets' since I started back when Estes started. Now I would like to get my grandson started but they live in DC and I have no idea what the local laws are. Any ideas how I find out before I put in a Christmas order? Thanks,

Dale

Dale:
I live in DC also: over in FAR southeast just above NRL and Bolling AFB. I'm a member of NARHAMS Visit us at narhams.org. We meet monthly the First Saturday of the month at College Park Airport, in Hyattsville Md. We fly model and mid power rockets in Mt. Airy. MD usually the 3rd saturday of each month but Check the on-lin calander to be sure. We also host the monthly public model rocket launches at Goddard Space Flight Center in greenbelt, Md.

You'll find it difficult to fly mod-rocs bigger then Micros anywhere in DC proper. it's all controlled airspace since 911. I fly micros in the small park across the street from my house but have been warned by local police NOT to go any bigger... I'm also in the flight and landing path of National airport.
At Goddard the general public is allowed to fly any single staged model Micro thru D12. because of the very limited area involved Clusted and staged models are generally not permitted.
At our Monthly Mt Airy launches Micro thur G powered motors are allowed. Clustered, Staged, & RC all are welcome.

This coming Saturday we are holding our annual Potluck Christmas/Holiday party and big Mod-Roc Raffle. Check the website for directions as this one is usually very well attended so we rent a larger social hall at a local church to accommidate the hord LOL. Bring a covered dish of your choice and come on out, We'd be Happy to have you, your family and Grandson.

Thanks for all the great information. They live right up on "The Hill" .. F St SE, 15 min walk from the Capitol so I'm sure no flying around there. I was wondering about the park across the Anacostia river...but sounds like there are lots of opportunities. Thanks again...Now I better get that Christmas order sent in!

Dale

My bad! I did read your earlier thread just didn't make the connection. DUH:bang: . Hope it works out for you. I live in south Baltimore, My kids are in Southern Maryland so anything in the tristate area is worth looking into for me. Best of luck.

We don't at the moment. An appeal of the special Use permit case is pending.

Back