Rockets From Spare Parts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rocket was extremely stable (it didn't spin cycle!) with both motors so later this year will try some higher impulse: H's, maybe even I357 or I600 we'll see.

That is very cool, and that opens up a whole new set of descriptive words to describe the flights. How did you get the 3" blue tube on the spin can? Is there an adapter piece there, or did it just fit?

How did you get the 3" blue tube on the spin can? Is there an adapter piece there, or did it just fit?

The spin can (I like that!) has this upper "collar" that just needed a bit of diameter removed in order for the blue tube to slide over and be epoxied on. An idea just came to my head to figure out a recovery device (e.g. chute, streamer, wind break/sock, etc..) out of a t-shirt or maybe XXL boxers or something, lol.

Finally got my rocket launched! I named it "FluoroCamo."

It achieved 1262' on an E12-0 booster and D12-5 sustainer. It was very calm so it came down about 70m from the pad. Also, the gap staging worked perfectly!

The only problem was the eyelet ripped out of the transition and the upper part of the rocket came down sans parachute. Fortunately, it was not stable and came down via a tumble recovery with minor damage.

I was very glad I painted it flourescent because it landed quite a ways from where the lower portion did on the parachute and I had to do a bit of searching.

When I get another calm day I'll launch it with an E motor in the upper stage.
20200627_164827.jpg

Here's my next one made out of spare parts.

The hardest leftover parts to utilize are the smaller length tubes from cutting full length tubes for engine mounts, payload sections, pods, etc.

Used a few of my spare short tubes - BT-5 (ramjet tubes), BT-50 for engine mount, BT-60 for the cockpit, and some left over dowel.

Used a full length BT-55 for the main tube, which was left over from a pack of 4. Still have 2 left to use.20200711_131507.jpg

img_9506-1-jpg.407057

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/spev-mk-1.141178/

I renamed it "Reptilian Invader" after the paint job.

Ready to launch on a C11-5.

Good flight...except...the old school shock cord attached via old school "tea bag" broke, so the main body came down sort of tumble recovery. The main fins acted like wings and slowed it down substantially and it landed on the stabilizers, which broke off cleanly at the roots.

Shouldn't be too hard to repair. Biggest problem will be better shock cord attachment.

20200718_112840.jpg
20200721_120405.jpg20200721_120659.jpg

I renamed it "Reptilian Invader" after the paint job.

Ready to launch on a C11-5.

Good flight...except...the old school shock cord attached via old school "tea bag" broke, so the main body came down sort of tumble recovery. The main fins acted like wings and slowed it down substantially and it landed on the stabilizers, which broke off cleanly at the roots.

Shouldn't be too hard to repair. Biggest problem will be better shock cord attachment.

View attachment 425397
View attachment 425398View attachment 425399
Very nice, look...fins/wings all Balsa? How high did it go?

Back