Rockets at EAA AirVenture 2004

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

North Star

Reaction score
Just got round to reading my October copy of EAA's sport aviation mag and there at the top of page 14 is a picture of kids at the worlds largest aviation event building model rockets ......
Congratulations to whoever organised that ... any of you aviation buffs on TRF know if they actually got to launch them at Oshkosh.

That would probably have been WOOSH, based in Milwaukee.

https://www.wooshrocketry.org

They probably didn't get to launch them there, although we did get to do a demonstration launch once just off the Pioneer airfield there for a Boy Scout Jamboree. It wasn't during Airventure though.

I thought it would be great to put on a high-power demo at a local airshow, until I thought about insurance. Those old warbirds are fabulously expensive. If something were to go wrong (and let's face it, it happens!), it could be very bad for us all.

North Star, if you ever happen to come to AirVenture, look me up and we'll go sit and tell rocketry stories over a couple of beers. I live right in Oshkosh.

Originally posted by North Star
Just got round to reading my October copy of EAA's sport aviation mag and there at the top of page 14 is a picture of kids at the worlds largest aviation event building model rockets ......
Congratulations to whoever organised that ... any of you aviation buffs on TRF know if they actually got to launch them at Oshkosh.
It was (and has been for the last three years) part of "Kid Venture". It is a make-and-take of Estes E2X Generic rockets.
There are no launches.
I Don't believe there is any rocket club sponsor. The Event (Kid Venture) was heavily sponsored by Nestle one year, and the kids got plenty of Quik stickers to paste on their rockets.
Interestingly, building those E2X Generic rockets with the kids is probably the event that got me back into rocketry three years ago.

Thanks for the reponses folks. I couldn't imagine the rockets being flown at Airventure! - I've seen the skies at Sun'n'Fun and they were pretty much full.

It's always nice to see such positive action involving rockets and kids, so whoever was involved, organising, helping, or whatever - deserves a big thankyou on behalf of us all.

KermieD .. I might just take you up on that meeting ... Airventure is on my 'to do' list during the next couple of years. I've been to Oshkosh (HQ and museum) but never at convention time, as a member since 1989 that's very remiss of me :)

here is a pic of 2 of my kids at the decorating table at the KidVenture make and take.

Back