Rockets and Airplanes!!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fxrs

Reaction score
Based on the poll of whats your favorite aircraft it looks like we
have many pilots on this forum.I admire those of you who are
be it civilian or military. My question is, during any of your
flights have you encountered any low powered, mid powered,
or high powered rockets near your plane or close enought
to see them? If so, I would love to hear about it. I.E. whats it
like to see a rocket at apogee at that elevation or from
above it or any where but from the ground? For you military pilots
it you want to talk about enemy fire, that works to!

I've never seen a rocket from any plane.

I have had to postpone a take-off 'cause of too many seagulls on the runway and done a go around on more than one landing because of deer on the runway.

Once I did spot a rocket I had lost the previous week while flying!:rolleyes:

Does that count?

Here we go vets, let's hear about those times over Baghdad or Hanoi with SAMs? Bravo52 might have some good ones.

All I've got is AWACS stories . . . not too many of those either. Except the one time we had MIGs come after us. -15s intercepted.

I've never seen a rocket from the air, but I have seen fireworks.

I should take that back, I did see a Minute Man 3 launch once out of Vandenburg while cruising at FL330. That was cool, but It was not close.

During the first gulf war in a C-5, while departing Saudi Arabia we flew along the Iraq boarder, about 40 miles in. The Missile warning gear went off! The Iraqis were tracking us with the acquisition radar (SA2 I think), They never switched to the fire control radar but it got our attention!

During the first gulf war in a C-5, while departing Saudi Arabia we flew along the Iraq boarder, about 40 miles in. The Missile warning gear went off! The Iraqis were tracking us with the acquisition radar (SA2 I think), They never switched to the fire control radar but it got our attention!

How fast can a C-5 climb ??

Back