Rockets 5 feet and up?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gladiator1332

Reaction score
I just finished my Richter Recker and its opened up a whole new type of rocket for me, rockets that are bigger than me or close to it. I'm 5'10 so anything 5' and up satafies me. What are some good rockets that are close to 5' and up that can be launched with conventional weapons like the Richter Reckers 3 D engine cluster or any other low/mid power engine that I wont need any kind of certification for?

If there isn't a kit you had in mind, you can always scratchbuild. Since you are interested in clustering motors, three 18mm motor mounts (aka BT20 or .736") will arrange nicely in a standard BT60 (aka 1.637"). Check out the attached picture of one of my scratchbuilds. It is just over 5' long and features a 3x18mm MMT. Flies great on 3As, Bs, or Cs.

Here's a picture of it in the building stages showing the "business end", or motor end.

Clone an Estes Colossus or Cobra 1500. Custom used to make the Engage (5') and Equinox (over 6'). Also look at the Tall Boy (10 feet +) by Aerospace Specialty Products. :eek:

If you go up to mid power composite engines (G and below) you can fly all sorts of 29mm rockets, many are taller than you. Also you can buy H motors from several online stores without certification, some charge a HazMat fee, some don't. Yank made (bought out by LOC) the most reasonably priced quality high power kits I've seen so far, just bought an Astrobee D from HobbyLinc for $47. It's 55" tall I think (haven't gotten it yet) and RockSim says it will scream on most any E-G motor.

Zippy

As far as kits of this type that can fly on C's and D's, the previously mentioned Mean Machine and the Quest Super Eagle come to mind. Mean Machine flies on D's. Super Eagle on C's.

I am kind of addicted to this type of rocket also. I even have my old Cobra 1500 hanging up in my workshop. :D

I like em big too! but for now I must contain my growing lust for large rockets to low power stuff.

You can have a lot of fun 'upscaling' the old classics from Estes and others. Visit Jim Z's web site and look around.
I have used Jim's plans to make a 42" long Orbital Transport and most recently a 62" Trident. I try to build em light so I can fly on D and E engines.

Jim Z's plans

Tall Boy (10 feet +) by Aerospace Specialty Products.

Do they have a website or where can I find this rocket?

Back