Rocketry vendors – plan to get them back?

Discussion in 'Rocketry Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by dr wogz, Sep 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 21, 2018 #31

Angie

Angie

Angie

Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Mod

Thank you to all that have contributed to this thread, especially the Sponsors. I have discovered one issue I'm working on. Checking some things in the background.

Only stats usually given out are the ones you see of who and how many is online.

I'll be reading through the thread again and checking on various bits of information. One request. If you see someone that is a business posting in the Yard Sale area, please report it or send me a private conversation. It is not reasonable to let some be a business and advertise in Yard Sale for free, when other acknowledge forum Sponsors do not, and should not do that same thing.

Now for more research.

@matthew - do you know any to see if they would come back as "equals to talk with you" and not as a sponsor? There is nothing stopping a vendor/sponsor or ex vendor/sponsor to be a member and discuss rocketry.

2. Sep 22, 2018 #32

matthew

matthew

matthew

Optimistic Pessimist

But only if we don't discuss what they have for sale, right? That isn't them being an equal, because conversations with them are restricted.

You are amazingly helpful, @Angie, and an asset to this community. Unfortunately, this time around you've missed the point. Rocketry isn't Homesteading, Bass Fishing, Knife Making, Home Brewing, or RC models. It's completely different with a unique dynamic. Ever since Austen made his first hello, followed by the adverts on people's posted images, and the Viglinks, and the rest of it, TRF has been on a downhill slide because the vendors were chased away. Right here in this thread we're being asked to report "offenders". Why not ditch the fee and encourage advertising instead? You'll get a lot more eyeballs and content.

captbk likes this.
  3. Sep 22, 2018 #33

Mustang67

Mustang67

Mustang67

Lifetime Supporter TRF Lifetime Supporter

I don’t have the history with TRF, but do have a clear understanding of running a business, marketing and driving traffic to your store front.

Not speaking for the following prime vendors, but simply using them as an example. I would "assume" Wildman, One Bad Hawk, Mad Cow, Csrocketry, Mac Performance, Apogee.. etc. don’t have much of an issue with the monthly cost of being an approved vendor on TRF. Now, what they are getting for that monthly fee, may likely be another story. Banner, vendor highlight of the week, whatever, you get the point. For the prime vendors they have skin in the game.

In effort to be solution focused, for the vendors that are no-longer on TRF.

What is their ask?
    • If asking to wave the monthly fee, and the fee is waived, will this yield a significant traffic increase from both a vendor and membership perspective?
    • Should non-paying monthly subscription vendors have access to the same TRF marketing tools as paying vendors?
    • The vendors that have left, are they willing to reach out to TRF directly with a clear ask? IE, I would like to come back to TRF, here is what drove me away, and here is what I would ask to come back in effort to support my business.
    Again looking to be solution focused here. Need to clear up "the ask" and what TRF is willing to commit to.

In my business you have to have some skin in the game. I pay some monthly/yearly fees that are in the thousands. For some I really get my $$$ worth, others not as much. But this is my core business, we work hard at what we do. Some of my marketing resources do offer free marketing tools to non-paying subscription members, but they are limited. In order to have full marketing tool access you need to pay the premium membership fee. Maybe TRF can do the same?

Need to be fair to the prime vendors that treat this more as a full time business. Apogee, Wildman, Csrocketry, Public Missles.. etc. are putting some serious money into their business. So if they pay the monthly fee what do they get over those that do not. And if TRF offers a non-fee limited subscription, will we see the intended traffic vendor and member increase?

4. Sep 22, 2018 #34

matthew

matthew

matthew

Optimistic Pessimist

Again, my point, repeated multiple times, goes over the top of heads. Stop thinking business. Start thinking community.

No vendor should pay any fees. Not the big ones. Not the small ones. No prime vendors. No sub-prime vendors. They are just members.

5. Sep 22, 2018 #35

Mustang67

Mustang67

Mustang67

So free for all, and all have the ability to advertise as a vendor and have access to marketing banners as well? Or free for all and if you want to advertise beyond a write up in the forum, you have to pay for the advertisement? IE banner, side bar, etc.

6. Sep 22, 2018 #36

dhbarr

dhbarr

dhbarr

Amateur Professional

Without seeing the balance sheet of TRF's parent company, this is a rather naive suggestion.

A different guess which also has no data to support it: without at least a few of these anchor vendors, the margins on TRF wouldn't be interesting enough to leave the lights on.

7. Sep 22, 2018 #37

Angie

Angie

Angie

Not going to happen your way.

8. Sep 22, 2018 #38

Mustang67

Mustang67

Mustang67

Angie, sorry to single your response out. Please don’t take it personal. This is in effort to not pee in each other’s Wheatieso_O

If our "ask" is not is not reasonable or passive aggressive, if our response is direct with a form of higher authority and without reasonable explanation, the conversation will likely turn into negative forum conversations. This will definately leave all parties fustrated and have a slow and steady negitive impact on vendor and member retention.

The response could have been: I am sorry this is not something TRF can do. The TRF forum is a business and like our vendors we have associated costs of running this business. We thank you for taking the time to share your input, and highlighting this concern. We will continue to discuss this internally and will notify the forum if any changes will be made to our current Vendor advertisement policies. (Something along these lines)

I get your frustration Angie, however the response is tossing back a rock over the fence[​IMG]:)

9. Sep 22, 2018 #39

Angie

Angie

Angie

Thanks @Mustang67. I defer to your better put response.

10. Sep 22, 2018 #40

Mustang67

Mustang67

Mustang67

Its all good:D Let's all work on helping the forum/hobby out. No one is perfect, just need to remmeber the end goal. Enjoy and grow the hobby and community.

dhbarr and Angie like this.
  11. Sep 22, 2018 #41

Clivus

Clivus

Clivus

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

Your point isn’t missed. It’s nonsensical. There are community forums that are free. I choose to pay to come here for the higher level of content and a pleasing format from which to read about my hobby. The owners have set up a product, and I doubt it’s simply a labor of love. You expect to get paid at your job, so should they.

jderimig and Angie like this.
  12. Sep 22, 2018 #42

tomsteve

tomsteve

tomsteve

cant advertising costs be used at tax time?

13. Sep 22, 2018 #43

dr wogz

dr wogz

dr wogz

Fly caster

Hi,

While i started this thread, I did / do have a concern.

I, originally, was curious, as to whether TRF had an intent, maybe a plan to get the vendors back. I would think, that if vendors return, that would generate more traffic in & thru TRF, that way we all win.

I had pondered that maybe the few (many?!) that had left, had left for a specific reason. And was wondering if the admins knew what that reason was. And, if maybe after some time & thought, that maybe it was time to try & make amends with said left vendors. The initial view is that the admin of TRF don't care.. (Which I find odd, that if a certain percentage of your paying populace suddenly left, you might feel it a bit..) Maybe a tiered system to help all levels of vendors, from the Estes & Madcow types to the ARS types..

Maybe I also somewhat intended to plant the idea in someone's head, that maybe a 'recruitment drive' with some special offers to new or returning paying players, to help drive up membership & participation.

I'll be the first to say I'm surprised that despite the myriad of ads we see in the media, that I kinda miss the rocketry specific ones. I did feel that they had a place here.. And that if you are a vendor, seeing the reoccurring ads give you a bit of a sense that the [whatever] fee is doing something.. I think we all didn't mind (or at least understood) the specific banner ads, but balked when they turned into the generic "click-crap" that is so prominent on every other web page we view & visit.. (Yeah, another ad for Wayfair.. or Lowes.. or IGA... yawn...)

Is there a plan? Should there be? Would there be a benefit to having (paying or not) vendor come back / be more prominent?

(I guess as well, being a 'Libra' that i'm suggesting that any bad feelings or misunderstanding should be resolved. Or at least an attempt made..)

14. Sep 23, 2018 #44

timbucktoo

timbucktoo

timbucktoo

Moderator Staff Member TRF Supporter Global Mod

Seriously? The first two pages are all from 2018 with posts as recent as Thursday.

15. Sep 23, 2018 #45

matthew

matthew

matthew

Optimistic Pessimist

16. Sep 23, 2018 #46

timbucktoo

timbucktoo

timbucktoo

Moderator Staff Member TRF Supporter Global Mod

17. Sep 23, 2018 #47

les

les

les

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

I just started reading this thread. I saw multiple comments about how $25/month isn't too bad a price.
    But I also recall seeing in Wes' farewell to the Dr. Zooch line about how he would get his 12 year old daughter to help stuff boxes with tubes and how at times he was making the equivalent of $0.25 cents an hour. If that number is correct than the $25 for a month of TRF access required 100 hours of work just to break even.

There is the Rocketeering adage that to make a small fortune in rocketry, start with a big fortune.

Yes, TRF is a business and needs to make a profit
    But to many small vendors it is a major burden.
    Especially if you are a niche vendor with a limited product line.

Perhaps a scaled pay scale based on number of postings would work out. For example
    First 2 postings per month are free
    3~5 cost $5
    5~10 is $10
    etc.

18. Sep 23, 2018 #48

Angie

Angie

Angie

@dr wogz Thanks for clarifying what you were after with this thread. And others, thanks for input and ideas.

I will be rereading it and seeing if anything works.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.