Rocketry Top 100

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomasrau

Reaction score

I need some volunteers to help test a new Rocketry Top 100 List. I've been missing the old top 50, so I set up a replacement. I need to debug this thing a bit, so if you have a rocketry related site (personal or commercial) please give it a whirl.

RocketryList.com

9:46 pm Fri CDT....
Cannot Find Server - The web site you typed in could not be found on the internet.

might be me....?

Its possible the DNS has not fully propagated yet. My ISP is usually the last to get the updates and its working on my end so I figured it was safe to put up the url. Until the rocketrylist.com finishes propagating to all the dns servers it will be hit or miss for some.

Sorry for any confusion.

What is the IP address then? heck, we don' need no steenkin URL! :D

Also, what *happened* to the TOP50 list??

jim

I had hoped that the Top50 would come back, but seeing that the domain is gone as well I doubt they'll be back.

rocketrylist.com actually shares space and IP with my main site, it can be reached at https://www.hipower-rocketry.com/rocketrylist/ but will not work correctly until the DNS finishes resolving and the proper rocketrylist.com url is used.

The good news is that the DNS seems to have fully propagated, the better news (in the long run) is that I am upgrading to a better list. The site will be down for a while and those of you that have signed up will need to redo it when I'm complete.

The new improved site is up. The graphics haven't been changed yet, since I'm more interested in testing the software.

So if you have a rocketry related site sign up, get listed and help me test this thing so I can get the bugs worked out and go live asap.

Rocketry Top 100

Working fine here, I was able to add my clubs URL.
Have to resize my image tho, it wouldn't accept it.

Originally posted by missileman
Working fine here, I was able to add my clubs URL.
Have to resize my image tho, it wouldn't accept it.

Yes, max banner size is 480x60.

Tom, I was able to get to your site fine and connect to all the sites listed there (6) so far. Good idea. Hope it works out OK for all of us.
wick

OH MAN! Works for me.

The Rebar Rocketry banner (#7) is a gut buster...

Very creative.

What does "out" represent in the statistics column?

Patrick

Originally posted by iceage

What does "out" represent in the statistics column?

Patrick

"Out" is the number of times visitors to the rocketrylist clicked on that link to go to that website.

"In" is the number of times visitors to a site have clicked on their "vote" link and voted for that site.

Originally posted by thomasrau
"Out" is the number of times visitors to the rocketrylist clicked on that link to go to that website.

"In" is the number of times visitors to a site have clicked on their "vote" link and voted for that site.

Do you mean "votes"? I don't see an "in"

I'm confused; "hits" I understand as visitors, "votes" are self evident. So what's the difference between "hits" and "out" ?

Patrick

Maybe this will help,

https://rocketrylist.com/index.php?act=faq&id=1

Right now the site is configured to just use the vote numbers to index the sites. However it can be configured to use any and/or all the different statistics it can gather to decide which site is number one. So for example I could set it to weigh things in the following way:

Votes = 50%
Out = 30%
Hits = 10%
Rating = 10% (these numbers can be whatever I decide)

and thats the formula it would use to judge the rankings.

Hope this makes it easier to understand.

PS. I'm still chuckling over Major Kong riding the bomb, Dr Strangelove was just on, always loved that scene.

Cool!

You just threw me off with the "in"

Thanks,

Patrick - needs to remember to check the faq!

So far so good, the only bug I've been unable to get rid of was with the gateway page. It was preventing the votes from being counted properly, so for now the gateway is gone. When a visitor on your site clicks to vote they will go straight to the top100 list instead of the gateway page.

Still have some minor "tweaks" to do, but if it remains stable, by next week I should be ready to go full scale live with the site.

Thanks for your help.

Originally posted by KermieD
Not working here yet either.

I have to assume its that the dns info still hasn't fully propagated. All the tests I can run at this end, along with testing through various ISP's shows its working.

Try this URL rocketrylist.hipower-rocketry.com to see if that resolves. Most things still sill not work using that url since the site uses the rocketrylist.com domain internally.

Let me know if you can reach the site using that alternate url, or if you are still having issues.

Thanks

Originally posted by stymye
the other works, is that the one to bookmark?

No. Bookmark https://rocketrylist.com.

The other url is for testing purposes. Since it works that lets me know that the problem you are having is a DNS issue. As soon as your ISP's DNS servers update themselves the real url will begin to work. Most ISP's update their DNS every 24-48 hours, so the real url should start working within another day.

The other url works since hipower-rocketry.com has been around a long time and your ISP's DNS has that IP address. For testing I set up a fake subdomain that redirects to the other domain.

So far so good, the list software seems to be behaving. Thanks for the help, you guy's have it over a 1000 hits already and over 20 websites are signed up.
Still working on the logo (have one up but it needs work yet) and I still have to do something about the spacing, things aren't as easy to read as they should be.

LOGO choices..

I've been toying around with some logo designs for the rocketrylist.

LOGO SAMPLES

Which one(s) do you like and why?

Back