Rocketry subscription box?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nytrunner

Pop lugs, not drugs
Reaction score
So I was reading gift guides and holiday value guides, when I saw a plug for subscription boxes of various sorts.
Things like Dollar Shave, Loot Crate, and Birchbox sprung to mind at first, but then I thought about rocketry....

Has anyone else thought that a rocketry product subscription service may be intriguing?

I have no idea how such a thing would be fleshed out, but I figured I'd toss the thought out there and see if I got any bites.

Maybe I'm thinking more along the lines of general rocket stuff that people could use.

Like Lo (motor mounts, hooks, odd nosecones, igniters), Mid (motor adapters, retainers, interesting transitions or camera mounts), Hi (e-matches, rail buttons, HPR igniters, other stuff) categories that would naturally increase in price. Maybe special things like a case once a year or something.

Like I said, this was a totally random thought (likely spawned by Secret Santa): "It'd be cool to get a box of rocket stuff every now and then!" "Hmmm, what would that look like...."

Interesting idea.
It would have to be better than Loot Crate. That is hit or miss, I think it is factory rejects or old stock nobody bought. Some of the figures have been opened. Yes I am a subscriber, a birthday present from my girlfriend and we just never canceled it.
It would be hard to keep thinking of new stuff to put in it. The LPR would be much simpler I would think. HPR might would have to be bi-monthly, just to have usable stuff..or simply cost more a month.
Interesting idea...now you've got me thinking about it.

Some clubs do box-o-parts competitions. Could be a neat angle to come from, and the resultant build threads / social media posts would probably generate some of that summer buildoff / secret santa feel.

I like Mikey's thought. and D'barr, and woody's. Things like.....a cluster motor mount! May get someone started on how to cluster when they wouldn't source it on their own. Could give people a taste of things they haven't tried

I really just wanted to infect other minds with the idea so mine can be free to do other things. (like get my induction rocket working)

So...Your thinking along the lines of getting X amount of people to commit to donating a set amount of $$ per month,
and have a drawing of names to see whom wins what ever was purchased that month with the $$?
If so, that would be cool.
That would be like a papa elf special once a month.
This might draw some vendors to donate like they do for Papa Elf as well.
Maybe get a different vendor for each month to contribute, buy from that vendor that month, and make the pot that much sweeter.
That would spread around the $$ in vendors as well. I have a list of decals I need from Stickershock a mile long.
We could send in a list of wishes with our $$, and buy the "PRIZE(S)" off the wish list from the appropriate vendor..
This would employ LPR to Research and EX enthusiasts.
If the monthly $$ wasn't too much, and if enough people committed to it each month, say for 12 months at a time, I would play.
That way you would have the option to pay for the year all at once, or like me, collect pop cans for the $$ each month.
Once you win, that takes you out of the remaining months of the year.
This would insure someone don't win 2 or more times in a year and gives everyone a fairer chance at winning.

How much would we think per month? $5? that's $60 a year. $10 per month? that's $120 a year. And that would be a rocket kit of choice.. maybe two if late it eh season (and on a particular 'no-colour' Friday)

I've seen a Lego, and a few fishing boxes. must say, while intrigued, I haven't bitten. (The Lego one got bad reviews.. And I have enough bass plugs I don't use!)

I feel the rocketry community is too small for such a venture, and we all pretty much have our specific likes & wants. Personally, I feel we'd have to have specific boxes for specific people. And there's only so much rocketry stuff you can get once a month.. too many variables. and not everyone likes to scratch build.

I'd rather have contests.. Have a few 'kit bash' contests.. Get a supplier to host the contest, you buy that particular kit from them, and bash it. Judge and have a winner, 2nd & 3rd places. they get a "prize" gift card for their next purchase. everyone who enters gets a $5 voucher.. or something along those lines..

Now, one thing I did do a few years ago, and have done on a few other forums, is a "box pass".

We all sign up and we get, say, 12 people.

I start the box, 'seed' it with some goodies (typically bits & pieces from my parts / scratch pile I don't want / need / can't use, etc.. There should be enough in the box for at least a rocket or two..). I mail it to the first person on the list. They receive the box. They open the box. They take out what they want / like / need, and add a few things to the box (of equal value / coolness) tyhey no longer want / need / can't use... They then seal it back up & mail it to then next person on the list. And they then receive the box, open it, take stuff, replace it, and then mail it... and so on, and so on.. So it passes along to each on the list, and eventually returns to the originator (who hopefully has none of his original stuff left, but a whole box of new stuff!). The idea being everyone has a chance to take stuff they can use, and replace with stuff they no longer want, but know someone else can use / appreciate.. Stickers, tubes, MMt, CRs, NCs, tools, old fin templates, old fins! transitions, etc...

Would that be interesting?

Now, one thing I did do a few years ago, and have done on a few other forums, is a "box pass".

I start the box, 'seed' it with some goodies (typically bits & pieces from my parts / scratch pile I don't want / need / can't use, etc.. There should be enough in the box for at least a rocket or two..). I mail it to the first person on the list. They receive the box. They open the box. They take out what they want / like / need, and add a few things to the box (of equal value / coolness) tyhey no longer want / need / can't use... They then seal it back up & mail it to then next person on the list. And they then receive the box, open it, take stuff, replace it, and then mail it... and so on, and so on.. So it passes along to each on the list, and eventually returns to the originator (who hopefully has none of his original stuff left, but a whole box of new stuff!). The idea being everyone has a chance to take stuff they can use, and replace with stuff they no longer want, but know someone else can use / appreciate.. Stickers, tubes, MMt, CRs, NCs, tools, old fin templates, old fins! transitions, etc...

Sign me up. This kind of stuff jogs brain bits that apparently don't normally operate.

See now I could never do that, ANYTHING that is usable I would keep and I would end up passing off a bunch of TP tubes! Yea talk to me about hoarding...

Yea, me to. The scrap pieces of plastic when you separate things from Estes that is worthless, I save.
I will eventually work it into a build of my own design...in some way or another.
Bamboo chop sticks that my wife uses come in real handy too.

See now I could never do that, ANYTHING that is usable I would keep and I would end up passing off a bunch of TP tubes! Yea talk to me about hoarding...

Back