Rocketry Photography Epoch kit...thoughts?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ActingLikeAKid

Reaction score
The guy who runs the hobby shop here in town came back with some of these from NSL. This is the "Rocketry Photography" Epoch kit. 54mm mmt, fiberglass fins, sweet boattail and...
...I can find nothing online about it. Nothing for Rocketry Photography, nothing for the Epoch. It looks like a pretty cool kit, but I'm a little leery on something I've never heard of.

Does anyone know anything about these? Experience with building them?

Also it's a cardboard BT. If you were sending this up on a full J or K, would you glass that?

rp5.jpgrp4.jpgrp3.jpgrp2.jpgrp1.jpg

Does anyone know anything about these? Experience with building them? Also it's a cardboard BT. If you were sending this up on a full J or K, would you glass that?

Other than the acme conformal launch lugs for rods :)puke:), looks like a nice kit! :)

If you wanted to put mid range K's in it, I would glass it... Looks very similar to LOC components, so this should be a solid rocket for you.

Other than the acme conformal launch lugs for rods :)puke:), looks like a nice kit! :)

If you wanted to put mid range K's in it, I would glass it... Looks very similar to LOC components, so this should be a solid rocket for you.

Thanks! Yeah, launch lugs seemed a really odd choice. I don't think rail buttons would be more expensive, and I'd never put 54mm ANYTHING on a rod. Unless the rocket was really light and the rod was something like titanium wrapped in carbon fiber.

The guy who runs the hobby shop here in town came back with some of these from NSL. This is the "Rocketry Photography" Epoch kit. 54mm mmt, fiberglass fins, sweet boattail and...
...I can find nothing online about it. Nothing for Rocketry Photography, nothing for the Epoch. It looks like a pretty cool kit, but I'm a little leery on something I've never heard of.

Does anyone know anything about these? Experience with building them?

Also it's a cardboard BT. If you were sending this up on a full J or K, would you glass that?

View attachment 322225View attachment 322226View attachment 322227View attachment 322228View attachment 322229

I put those kits out there and sold them at NSL. Yes the BT is LOC but other components from other sources. The LL was not my first choice but at the time there was a reason they were used. Feel free to go to rail buttons if desired, I would. As far as fiberglassing the tubing is desirable but not required. There are a number of K rockets that fly on paper tubes just fine. But to make it last longer, sure I would recommend glassing the tubing. I will be going to a launch next week so I won't be online much but feel free to ask if you have more questions.

Doug

Cool, thanks! I may have to pull the trigger on this :) it's a sharp-looking kit and I do like a good boattail.

I've found that a good paint job tends to stiffen and strengthen the LOC tubes some. I would fly it on K motors without glass. At least the lower average thrust motors. As was stated, glassing does improve the longevity of the rocket. It's the handling, transport and landings that are hardest on them. If they can handle those part, the up part is usually the easy part.

It appears to be a straightforward 4FNC? Any nifty internal features?

I've found that a good paint job tends to stiffen and strengthen the LOC tubes some.

Out of mild curiosity, how many coats of normal paint equal one coat of Structural paint?
lol

Back