Rocketry is dangerous BEWARE! Not safe for squeamish.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kallahan11

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So while removing the AV bay from my level 3 cert rocket today to show a youngin' how a really big rocket works I noticed it was a little stuck, no problem just pull harder right? Well the dang thing attacked me! 8 stitches
20170401_175333.jpg20170401_163044.jpg]
the dastardly rocket in question
20170315_145726.jpg
I don't know why the photos are sideways, I have too much of a headache to care. Be careful guys, don't turn your back on a rocket!

This will be the new mark of honour among rocketeers. This updates the old fencing scars on the cheek that were fashionable oh-so when.

Maybe you should "forget" to arm the recovery system next time... Teach that rocket a lesson.

Well, now you can say things like, "I was hit by a flying rocket."
Just gotta get the phrasing right.
Speaking of which, you might be able to pass the rocket off as a ballistic missile.

Kinda like how James Madison got his ears and nose frozen while riding to the constitutional convention and twisted the resulting marks into battle scars from the revolution.

Pfffhttt,
Lightweight... 'Tis but a scratch...
Here's a REAL rocket bite... Leg wound.jpg
17 stitches. 3 hrs waiting in the ER. 1/2 hr to stitch me up. Some dude came in with a chainsaw wound to his thigh. They took him before me, even though I was there first...
The same lady Dr. stitched me up. I asked here which wound was worse. She said mine by far... So much for triage... :facepalm: Apparently out of staters wait for locals, no mater who's in worse shape :eyeroll:

So while removing the AV bay from my level 3 cert rocket today to show a youngin' how a really big rocket works I noticed it was a little stuck, no problem just pull harder right? Well the dang thing attacked me! 8 stitches
View attachment 316229View attachment 316230]
the dastardly rocket in question
View attachment 316231
I don't know why the photos are sideways, I have too much of a headache to care. Be careful guys, don't turn your back on a rocket!

Ouch dude...
On an aside, I've done the same thing with wrenches when the nut wouldn't come loose, then all of a sudden, WAMMO. Or pushing with all your might on a prybar and when you lose focus it bites.

Ouch dude...
On an aside, I've done the same thing with wrenches when the nut wouldn't come loose, then all of a sudden, WAMMO. Or pushing with all your might on a prybar and when you lose focus it bites.

Similar event in my life, I bent the bill on my hand truck and to straighten it I put the bill under the fork on the forlift and grabbed a 6' steel rock bar (long steel bar with flat on one end and a point on the other), wedged the bar into the frame of the hand truck and pulled, WHAMMO! right between the eyes, I was see'in stars and blood for about ten minutes but no stitches.

Sorry dude.

What, weren't you wearing an av-bay removal safety helmet?
husqvarna-technical-chainsaw-helmet.jpg

A friend of mine was pulling on a brake cylinder with a needle nose pliers. The pliers slipped and the points went into his eye.
They were spring loaded pliers and he let go of them. They sprang open in his eye.
I'm a firm believer in safety glasses when working on anything mechanical.

In 2009 I was wounded while pulling a range control box out of my vehicle during a model rocketry camp. A sharp metal edge caught me in the left hand. Left a scar.

I've posted this before:

ear2a.jpg

Stupidhead ematch augmented igniter testing from too close. Decided to kill two birds with one stone. Used an ARTsII connected to a laptop for testing and was obviously too close. Ematches popped and indeed got the pyrogen burning but the igniter jumped off the ground, I saw it coming and stuck my arm out. It just caught my ear and I was lucky it didn't get my arm. Kurt

Back