Rocketry Interest Listing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Dierking

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Has there ever been a website with a list of people interested in rocketry with their name and location? I don't think a list that would include email or phone numbers would be a good idea. Good place for spammers! However, if there was a list with names, mail address, and perhaps a couple fields for interest and membership/certification, this would provide an opportunity for people within a geographical area to search and connect. One could mail a short letter to people within their area if they wished to communicate through email or meeting. Of course, listing your info would be up to you.

There are probably a number of "meet up" sites that are intended to work like that. But, I think a more effective way to meet others interested in rocketry near you is to join a local club.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/rocketry-clubs.html

If there are none near you, you could join Nextdoor (https://help.nextdoor.com/s/article/How-to-join-Nextdoor?language=en_US) and submit a post about rocketry to find others in your area.

Nextdoor is sort of like Facebook, but organized so that you are communicating with those who live near you. We found it very useful before and after the hurricane a few years ago, but it is helpful and interesting all the time.

Thank you Jadebox. I'm trying to make my messages a bit shorter now days. So, hopefully, this doesn't come across as rude or something like that. If it does, it's not intended that way.
Meet-up's are a no-go. At least for my experience. I started a meet up group (the official site), and got two people responding in a couple months. I was never sure what the first person even wanted, but the other was interested in me obtaining a HP motor for the rocket he got on eBay. He was not interested in certification. Oh, and it was a complex rocket. :-/ So, no-go there.
Next-door sites are also kind of a no-go for me as well. Poor experiences. If you ever want to find out how many crazy people live in your neighborhood, great place to provide your info.
I think going forward, there will be a lot more small clubs than big ones. Small clubs are easier to manage and you are more likely to stay connect with people closer to you.

I would say about 9 out of 10 people that get in touch with me through NAR and TRA are people that wish to fly a rocket, have no experience, and want to know where to fly it; like one time. I tell them what's required, where the club launches are (all at least 2 hours away), and I never hear from them again.
I'm going to hang out on this thread and see what others think.

Back