Rocketry in Slovakia

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billdz

Reaction score
We will be in Slovakia this summer and are wondering if there is any model rocket activity there. If not, perhaps in Vienna or in the Czech Republic? This post has nothing to do with the UK but it seems this is the only forum about Europe.
Thanks,
Bill

WSMC 2012 was there. Several of the Internats competitors should be able to PM you contact info.

I'm curious, why will you be in Slovakia?

My wife and I passed through Slovakia 11 years ago on a visit to five eastern European countries. Beautiful country, but it wasn't very tourist friendly. I distinctly remember visiting this very scenic village (reminded me of Bavaria) with these beautiful one, two and three story rustic buildings. Then on the edge of town were half a dozen hideous fifteen story concrete apartment buildings of Soviet design. Godawful things that looked like they sucked the life out of anyone who lived in them.

I lived there for 6 years, my wife is Slovak, we still have a house there, and it is really nice there, we go every summer. More tourist friendly now than it was 11 years ago. And yes, almost every town of any size everywhere behind the former Iron Curtain has those disgusting Soviet-style blocks of flats. In Bratislava they are right across the Danube from the historic city center.

I googled WSMC 2012 and there's a lot of info about the competition but not a word about the Slovaks who organized the event, or any mention of Slovak clubs. If anyone has any info, please advise, via PM or otherwise.

Thanks,
Bill

Thanks for the link! Do they do any rocketry? SNA is the Slovak National Aeroclub, look like they are focused on model airplanes rather than rockets. Do you have the names of any individuals interested in rocketry?

I'm sorry, I don't have any names. When we were there they had elaborate opening and closing ceremonies where they introduced a lot of people. However, that website is for what is considered their National Airsport Control organization which coordinates all activities with FAI. So they'll be able to direct you to the proper person because all FAI rocketry activities will go through their group.

Thanks, that's news, I'll be there for the June event. Looks like the hobby is organized differently in Europe, the FAI encompasses both rockets and airplanes. Here in the USA, rocketeers don't have much contact with the RC airplane people. Just out of curiosity, under which FAI sport category is rocketry? The website lists:

Thanks, that's news, I'll be there for the June event. Looks like the hobby is organized differently in Europe, the FAI encompasses both rockets and airplanes. Here in the USA, rocketeers don't have much contact with the RC airplane people. Just out of curiosity, under which FAI sport category is rocketry? The website lists:

Spacemodeling is found under the "OUR SPORTS" dropdown.

https://www.fai.org/ciam-our-sport/s-space-models

Got it, thanks. I've been checking the websites of shops in Slovakia, Czech, and Austria, but I've only seen listings for A-F engines. Where are high power motors sold? Is a USA certification acceptable to purchase and fly high power rockets?

High power really isn't much of a thing in Europe, with the exception of a few pockets in places like the UK and Germany where you can find flyers using Aerotech products. I have seen a few homebrew motors show up at Euro launches that seem to range from H through J impulse, but even that is very, very rare. Just go to one of the World Cup events in Slovakia, hang out, meet the guys, and enjoy yourself. Help out on recovery and you'll make friends for life.

James

Thanks for the info. Why isn't HPR much of a thing in Europe, is it lack of interest, legal restrictions, or what? Is some sort of certification required to purchase high power motors, as in the USA? If yes, would my U.S. NAR certification be accepted?

And unfortunately the June event is far from Bratislava, I probably won't be able to make it.

Thanks for the info. Why isn't HPR much of a thing in Europe, is it lack of interest, legal restrictions, or what? Is some sort of certification required to purchase high power motors, as in the USA? If yes, would my U.S. NAR certification be accepted?

Just a different attitude. More finesse than force. They tend to do alot with LPR and MPR, and some of the competitions are very stiff.

As for your US NAR cert, don't count on it being accepted. Different countries, different regulations. They may, but they may not.

Sorry you won't be able to attend. From what I've heard about European competitions (one of our members of the ERC is/was a FAI competitor) it's a pretty wild day.

Is EU like the USA, certification required for H and above? I see online stores in SK where they are selling rockets that use F and G motors, but these stores all only sell A-D motors. In fact, I have not found a web store anywhere in Europe that is selling anything higher than a D, could someone point me to a link? I suppose I can't bring motors with me in the airplane from the USA.

I'd love to go to that FAI event, but it is in Kamenica nad Cirochou, 6 hours from Bratislava, near the border with Ukraine.

Certification is indeed required. As for the reason there isn't more activity in HPR. The model rocket hobby is A LOT smaller than in the US. Space isn't a big thing in Europe, no grass root support. Another part is regulations. More than +/- 30 grams of fuel and an explosives licence is required (in Holland), expensive. I'm dutch. In Holland you must be a member of a club to be able to legally launch a rocket or be supervised by a member of a club when launching a rocket. There is only one modelrocket club in NL, one Tripoli chapter and 3 clubs that do amateur rocketry, maybe 200 people on a population of 17,000,000. Each country has it's own regulations so ....
Another thing is availability and price of the motors. Expect more gray hair after seeing European prices for HPR motors. Cesaroni is EU certified Aerotech isn't. To certify Aerotech motors would cost around €50,000 under new EU regulations is what I heard from a vendor who was interested in becoming an Aerotech importer. Not likely to happen is my guess.

There's a bit of HPR in the UK but Cesaroni and Hybrids only. No Aerotech these days. There are five or six clubs who have launch days every month.

You can fly HPR in UK with the UKRA/NAR reciprocal cert recognition.

Back