Rocketry in BC

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwh

Reaction score
Is anybody out here?

The BC Rocket Club doesn't look like they have been active for several years judging by their Facebook page.
Coast Rocketry looks like they are shut down.

Anyone in the province flying?

Not sure what is going on in BC, but I believe there is something going on in Alberta. Better yet 16ish hours to the south of you is one of the premiere rocket pastures in the world, Black Rock...now that is worth the drive.

Indeed, the BCRC is no longer active. On Facebook, I saw launch photos by the Fraser Valley Rocket Club.
I am not aware of their current status. I believe that to be the remaining members of the BCRC plus or minus some members.

My most recent launch was in Alberta. I went to rock Lake last year. There has been some activity in the Cranbrook, BC area.
A couple years ago, I flew with a couple guys on Vancouver Island but one fellow moved out East and I haven't heard anything since.

Launch sites are hard to find out here. (As anywhere I suppose)

Thanks, I hadn't heard of the Fraser Valley or Cranbrook clubs before, they both have active Facebook pages at least.

Living in the desert interior and with lots of ranch land around (if I can ask the owner) it's not terrible where I am for low and mid-power, but anything more is out of the question.

Thanks, I hadn't heard of the Fraser Valley or Cranbrook clubs before, they both have active Facebook pages at least.

Living in the desert interior and with lots of ranch land around (if I can ask the owner) it's not terrible where I am for low and mid-power, but anything more is out of the question.

Hey where in the interior are you?

im in Kelowna and still looking for a spot to fly. maybe early summer or into September is a good time to fly around here.

I had a spot a few years ago outside Kamloops that I was flying. Had permission to be on the ranch land

50°33'54.20" N 120°04'46.22" W

upload_2018-8-3_10-58-57.png

Hey where in the interior are you?

im in Kelowna and still looking for a spot to fly. maybe early summer or into September is a good time to fly around here.

I had a spot a few years ago outside Kamloops that I was flying. Had permission to be on the ranch land

50°33'54.20" N 120°04'46.22" W

View attachment 358750
I am in Kamloops. Looks like a great spot!

Hoping to see the fire ban lifted before too long.

Still on the South Vancouver Island and we’ll be launching again this fall with school groups.

Kelowna, Kamloops, Victoria, Port Alberni and Vancouver. I have fond memories of a trip that took me through all those back in winter of '91. Nice place Canada. I skied 19 mountains over 10 weeks, including a ski instructor course at Blackcomb for five weeks. Didn't see any rockets, and wasn't into rockets then ;).

New to the forum here and have not even built my first rocket yet but I have seen an active Cranbrook club as well as Fraser Valley.

Cheers from Kamloops

New to the forum here and have not even built my first rocket yet but I have seen an active Cranbrook club as well as Fraser Valley.

Cheers from Kamloops

Hey! I live in Kamloops too, and occasionally launch rockets.
Have you heard of Kamloops Makerspace? I do all my build work there. 3D printer + laser cutter = rocketeers dream

Hey! I live in Kamloops too, and occasionally launch rockets.
Have you heard of Kamloops Makerspace? I do all my build work there. 3D printer + laser cutter = rocketeers dream
I'm living in Kelowna now but not far away. I have not heard of makerspace. Where is it?

Not in BC of course but there are excellent rocket launches in Washington state. Though, I'm not sure what crossing the border with rocketry gear would entail.

Not in BC of course but there are excellent rocket launches in Washington state. Though, I'm not sure what crossing the border with rocketry gear would entail.
I have done it through Peace Arch crossing with gear, but no motors. Did not have a problem at all, even with a 5 foot long ARCAS in the back seat plainly visible!

For sure! Shoot me a message if you're coming through. I might make it out to Rock Lake also.

im on the island aswell, in Port Alberni if anybody is in the area

I am on the Island as well, I am certainly interested in flying model and mid power as is my son and grandson who also live here. I am in Mill Bay. Are there places to fly in Port Alberni or close? I would be will to travel up Island, Port Alberni, Campbell River etc, if a flying space can be found.

there is definately loads of space for low power but mid power is a lil more sparse but i have a friend of a friend who might be willing to let us use his farm for mid power so if it works and he is willing to let us use it i will post about it

there is definately loads of space for low power but mid power is a lil more sparse but i have a friend of a friend who might be willing to let us use his farm for mid power so if it works and he is willing to let us use it i will post about it

I realize it's fire hazard season but any word on a place to fly? Hopefully in the fall!!

shouldn't be an issue. We have US and Canadian teams coming and going all the time.

shouldn't be an issue. We have US and Canadian teams coming and going all the time.
Yes but not with HP motors, igniters and BP.

At least from Canada to the US and back again. I can't recall the rule but it is something along the lines of, you can bring up to three E, F or G motors back into Canada.

I believe it was recently posted a Canadian thread somewhere, if not someone will likely provide the exact details.

True. Without an explosives permit you cannot bring back any quantity of F or higher. Then on the US you need BATFE export papers.

Here is the rule re importing 6 model rocket motors without an import permit, direct from ERD's web site:

The table below (from the Explosives Regulations, 2013) shows the types and quantities of explosives that can be imported, exported or transported in transit without a permit if the above conditions are met.

Explosives Type Quantity
Model rocket motors that each have a maximum total impulse of 80 newton-seconds (NFPA alpha designations A to E, as indicated on the motor or its packaging) 6

With an explosives import permit you can import a much larger quantity, the permit is around $165 per importation , so to make it worthwhile you would need to import several thousand dollars worth of product.

Here are the rules for storage for personal use, again from the ERD website.

Model Rocket Motors

Model rocket motor means a recreational rocket motor with an impulse that is produced by combustion of a solid propellant and does not exceed 160 newton-seconds. (Type R.1)

Rocket Motor Accessories are explosive articles used to initiate various types of Rocket Motors. (Type R.3)

Acquisition

The acquisition, storage and sale of rocket motors require a dwelling, a storage unit or an explosives licence depending on the quantity and type of explosives being handled. Any person handling explosives must be at least 18 years of age or older unless otherwise exempted by the Explosives Act and Regulations.

Storage for Use

Dwelling

A person may acquire and store up to 200 kilograms gross mass of model rocket motors and 2500 igniters for use in a dwelling or storage unit.

When rocket motors, reloading kits or igniters are stored in a dwelling:

1. they must be stored away from flammable substances and sources of ignition, in a manner that protects them from theft and ensures that access to them is limited to people authorized by the retailer.
Storage Unit

A person may acquire and store up to 200 kilograms gross mass of model rocket motors and 2500 igniters for use in a dwelling or storage unit.

When rocket motors, reloading kits or igniters are stored in a storage unit:

1. the storage unit must be located in a dry place, away from flammable substances and sources of ignition;
  2. the storage unit must be constructed and maintained to prevent unauthorized access and to protect the contents from weather;
  3. if the storage unit is a container, it must not impede exit in case of fire;
  4. if the storage unit is not a container, all exits must be kept unobstructed;
  5. any shelving in the storage unit must be constructed from a non- sparking material (for example, wood or painted metal);
  6. nothing other than rocket motors, reloading kits and igniters may be stored in the storage unit;
  7. if the rocket motors, reloading kits and igniters are not in consumer packs, the motors and kits must be stored separately from the igniters (for example, on different shelves or separated by a wooden barrier);
  8. the storage unit must be attended when it is unlocked;
  9. the storage unit must be kept clean, dry, organized and free of grit;
  10. any spill, leakage or other contamination in the storage unit must be cleaned up immediately;
  11. precautions that minimize the likelihood of fire in or near the storage unit must be taken; and
  12. a sign that displays the words “Danger — Fire Hazard/Risque d’incendie” in letters at least 10 cm high and that prohibits smoking using letters, or a symbol, at least 10 cm high must be posted on the storage unit in a clearly visible location.
Explosives Licence

A person may acquire and store greater than 200 kg gross mass of model rocket motors and greater than 2500 igniters for use in a magazine if they hold an explosives licence.

The rules for High-Power motors and reloads is more stringent and quantities are lower.

Garth Illerbrun
NAR 26894 L2

This is great the only problem is we are on Vancouver Island so it is at least a $300 dollar travel hit, probably more, to go down into Washington State.

Having said that, where are the launches?

Still keen on getting together with Vancouver Island folks for a launch. Hopefully we can find a launch site in the fall?

Hi
Hope someone can help - I’m trying to find any model rocketry clubs in Greater Victoria. I’ve tried contacting local sellers of supplies, national organizations but so far, no luck. Any help you can offer is much appreciated!
Thanks
Mark Jeffers
Victoria, BC

Hi Mark

No clubs that I know of. I have flown occasionally at the field by Lansdown middle school. This has to be done on a "ask no questions, get in, fly, get out" basis if you know what I mean. There is a local teacher who posts here (Midpower madness) who flys with his middle school kids at a site in Langford. He has the go ahead from local officials. This is the closest thing to an organized launch in the local area. I'm hoping to attend a launch this fall.

I'd be happy to get together anytime to share tips, techniques etc.

Hi Hutch - thanks for your reply.

We live near Landsdowne right under the air ambulance path, so any other launch site would be great. I’ve flown model rockets before, some years back with young family here but no longer. I have a couple of models and engines, igniters etc. but really hoped I could meet others and find a safe launch site. I’ve sent out a few emails and will see how things go. I wondered if you knew of past clubs or activities beyond what you’ve mentioned? I’ll get back to you soon and let you know if I get any leads.

Thanks
Mark Jeffers

Back