Rocketry Fuse Help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puppy Dogs

Reaction score
This has probably been asked before but a search didnt find anything.

Does anyone know where online you can buy rocketry fuse, also sometimes known as safety fuse?

Much simpler than hauling around batteries and launchers.

Thanks
Puppy Dogs

Puppy Dogs,

First, welcome to the forum!

Second, you are violating the NAR Safety Code by launching your rockets using a fuse. One, it is NOT safe to use a fuse because you cannot control the time of launch. Electrical launch systems are for one the easiest way to launch rockets, not to mention the SAFEST! To quote G. Harry Stine, " When NASA engineers start lighting a fuse and running for the blockhouse, model rocketeers just might consider it."

Jason

Simple answer... Don't

Safety fuse is not very safe. It can burn underwater, so it has an coating that encourages the burning fuse to stay lit underwater. When used outside of water, it creates a slag that remains hot up to minute!!! I have ignited match heads and other fuses just by touching the slag of a burnt fuse. This slag is hot enough to catch grass on fire!!! I even seen this happen when the grass is wet.

Using a fuse with a model rocket is a bad idea for several reasons.

1.) Motor ignites, and throws slag a good distance away from model, landing only God knows where. It could land in the bushes, grass... on your shirt!!! BIG FIRE HAZZARD... and the fire can start a hour after you left the field.
2.) Pad could collaps with the rocket pointed towards you. I HAVE SEEN THIS HAPPEN during a 5 sec countdown. If a fues was used, there would of been no way to abort the launch.
3.) If the fuse does not light the motor... the slag can... You light the fuse... nothin... wait a few seconds... aproach the rocket....SWOOOSH!!! Not safe.

Get a simple Quest 9vt launch controller, a launch rod, and a coffee can. That is all you need if you just want to launch one model.

I agree with those guys, you shouldn't use fuse.
launch controllers aren't that expensive, and plus you can make a cheap PVC pad. its better to be safe than sorry.

I have used fuse before, when I was a little kid...it worked okay but as others say you cannot tell when the rocket is going to go off. It is dangerous but luckily nothing ever happened to me

Only to add to these other guy's suggestion. Estes Motors are alot different than other larger motors. Estes/Quest motors are black powder based and burn from the bottom. A fuse, while being very unsafe would be able to light it. However larger motors require to be lit from the top and burn down. They are designed to do this and get their thrust from that reaction. Using a Fuse will DEFINIATELY cause such a motor to light from the bottom which will cause sub par thrust which will cause the rocket to be very unstable if it launched at all.

I hope noone on this forum is using a fuse to light a rocket. In fact, as mentioned it is against the rules of both NAR and Tripoli.

Oh, did any one mention: DON'T DO IT! :)

Does boosting an igniter with Thermalite count? ;) I lit my M1419W with 2x QuikBurst Slim Gems (the small ones for J motors) and 3 pieces of 4" thermolite. Fired it right up... David makes a good product!

Fuse on its own...? My answer is the same as everyone else's.

Using ignitor cord alone to start engines (visco for BP and thermalite for AP) is perfectly OK and common. IF, *and its a big if*, the initial ignition was electronic and remote. In general the rest are all correct.

Originally posted by rstaff3
Using ignitor cord alone to start engines (visco for BP and thermalite for AP) is perfectly OK and common. IF, *and its a big if*, the initial ignition was electronic and remote. In general the rest are all correct.

Don't confuse igniter cord with saftey fuse! Igniter cord is designed for ignition of propellants and explosives (demolation). It is not ment to be lit by hand (very hot flame), and if there is any sheeting, it will burn several inches or more a second :eek: If you use this as a fuse, the model rocket can (and if you chose fast speed; will) take off the second you put the match to the cord.

I just found another reason not to use fuse...was watching Jackass the movie and they strapped firework rockets onto some rollerblades

They used fuse to light them...well one rollerblade lit and the other one didnt oops...he went down and the fireworks exploded....then the other skate lit...it was halarious but just shows you shouldnt use fuses..

Originally posted by n3tjm
Don't confuse igniter cord with saftey fuse! Igniter cord is designed for ignition of propellants and explosives (demolation). It is not ment to be lit by hand (very hot flame), and if there is any sheeting, it will burn several inches or more a second :eek: If you use this as a fuse, the model rocket can (and if you chose fast speed; will) take off the second you put the match to the cord.

So I possibly used the incorrect term. The point stands that ANY fuse that will reliably light an engine is fine if it is remotely and electronically ignited. There are many fuses around that will light a BP motor, I prolly got the name wrong. You do have to understand the burn rate, ie a slow fuse may not be good for staging as the rocket may be tipping by the time the motors light.

I know a person who saw an explosives demo and the fuse they used tranversed a huge distance in the blink of an eye. I think it was ~ a kilometer away. That blew him away (figuratively).

I agree that NONE of these should be lit by hand. I'd hope that anyone who would ask this question is relatively new, and probably won't get their hands on thermalite.

Originally posted by Ryan S.
I just found another reason not to use fuse...was watching Jackass the movie and they strapped firework rockets onto some rollerblades

They used fuse to light them...well one rollerblade lit and the other one didnt oops...he went down and the fireworks exploded....then the other skate lit...it was halarious but just shows you shouldnt use fuses..

I think the use of a fuse is moot in this example. Anyone who straps anything flamable to themselves is asking for it, no mater how they are initiated. I'm glad I missed that movie.

Originally posted by Puppy Dogs
This has probably been asked before but a search didnt find anything.

Does anyone know where online you can buy rocketry fuse, also sometimes known as safety fuse?

Much simpler than hauling around batteries and launchers.

Thanks
Puppy Dogs

Puppy Dogs:
I'm truely sorry your very first post is meeting such stern opposition, But we have been fighting public and various authorities for the past 40 years to seperate ourselves Model rocketeers from the fireworks people. Fuses are an absolute No NO! All model rockets are ignited electrically for the reasons so many of the other guys have posted here. don't be discouraged, We're not attacking you personally but you MUST NOT continue to use fuses to ignite your model rockets. It's dangerous, unpredictable and strictly against everything we have worked so hard for so long to provide, a safe reliable way to enjoy building and flying model rockets.
With all the legislative anti rocketry going on right now, YOU could be the straw the breaks the camels back and bans All rocketry for everyone. Please Don't continue this practice, You will be sorry in the long run.

Back