Rocketry books

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimByrne

Reaction score
I am new to the hobby and would like to know what books are best for a beginner.
I already have the Handbook of Model Rocketry which taught me a lot and I will continue to refer to.
There are no local clubs where I live so I can't learn from others in the hobby.

Check out Jim Z's site:
https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/
Estes' "Model Rocket News" often has useful information, tips, and techniques. All old stuff but enjoyable just the same. The "Model Rocketry Publications" section is useful too. And of course, all those plans, just waiting to be re-constructed or upscaled!

Best -- Terry

And then there is some guy here, I dunno, can't seem to recall his name, I think it's something to do with a college teacher, that liteally wrote the book on advanced propellants, bless his heart. So if you eventually get into the advanced stuff, hopefully he'll have you covered there! (Don't want to commit for you @prfesser , but last we "spoke" you were picking at the second ed. Hope all is well with you!)

For a contemporary take on things, a guy named Westerfield wrote a couple books called Make: Model Rockets and Make: High Power Rockets

If you're a scale modeler, Rockets of the World is a must have. Not a model rocketry book per se but has excellent, easy to use scale data for nearly every major scientific rocket out there.

I've enjoyed many of the Apogee videos, which are all free on YouTube, and they cover a vast variety of topics.

I am new to the hobby and would like to know what books are best for a beginner.
I already have the Handbook of Model Rocketry which taught me a lot and I will continue to refer to.
There are no local clubs where I live so I can't learn from others in the hobby.

Hi, Jim !

Welcome to Hobby Rocketry !

Let's start with a couple of simple questions . . .

(1) At the present time, what areas of Model Rocketry interest you the most and the least ?

(2) Is this a hobby that you think you would like to take part in for a long time ?

(3) What previous modeling / building experience do you have ?

(4) What is your age group ?

Dave F.

Hi, Jim !

Welcome to Hobby Rocketry !

Let's start with a couple of simple questions . . .

(1) At the present time, what areas of Model Rocketry interest you the most and the least ?

(2) Is this a hobby that you think you would like to take part in for a long time ?

(3) What previous modeling / building experience do you have ?

(4) What is your age group ?

Dave F.
1) low & mid power for fun not competition
2) not sure yet--hope so
3) very little--I would rather fly than build
4) 78

1) low & mid power for fun not competition
2) not sure yet--hope so
3) very little--I would rather fly than build
4) 78

Jim,

Thanks for replying.

If you don't want to spend much time building, there are many kits from Estes and Quest that have plastic fins or plastic fin units. They assemble quickly and easily, so you can get in the air, ASAP !

To help save money ( always a good idea ) AC Supply sells Estes Kits and Motors at 40 % off of retail. If you order motors, it's a good idea to place a larger order to offset the shipping charges.

https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes/estes_rockets.htm

You have a "PM" a "Private Message" . . .

Dave F.

Back