Rocketry Bio...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imported_Greg_R

Reaction score
Hi everyone... it looks like I'm the first non-moderator to post here. This looks like it could grow into a great forum. Anyway, I thought I'd get the ball rolling by chatting about my rocketry background & how I got started in this hobby.

I got my first kit when I was 10 (an X-31 solid plastic kit with a launch pad). After the quick assembly (snap on) & application of stickers, I set up my launcher in a nearby field. I launched the rocket (1/4A engine) which prompty floated into the top of the largest tree and remained there for the next 4 months (I checked every day).

After my first launch disaster, I started constructing some basic single stage kits and launching from a different (much larger) field. Since I hadn't lost a rocket in awhile I figured I needed more power :). I started building some multi-stage rockets and even a few gliders, all which worked reasonably well. (I got into the habit of painting everything in very bright colors)

One of my science projects in middle school was research on the aerodynamics of rocket wings (swept, rounded, square, etc.). I really enjoyed this aspect of 'no kit' construction and started building some custom designs. This progressed into some multi-stage, multi-engine designs (all D engines and below).

For some reason, the hobby slipped away from me once I went to college (no fields in the middle of a city I guess). I've just recently gotten back into the hobby and was surprised to hear about all the new (larger) engines and kits that are out there.

I guess I've rambled enough... great board & I'll be checking back soon!

Welcome to The Rocketry Forum. I myself am just getting into the hobby. I launched a few C's and D's and then saw an E and F and just had to get to that level. I too can't believe the sizes of some of the rockets that have been launched. Two of our moderators are certified and have some great stories and pictures.

Welcome to the board and we will do everything we can to make your experience a great one. Thanks for the positive comments.

BTW, how did you hear about us?

Yes, Greg, Welcome. My first experience was in High School. I'm not sure how I got through the first 14 years of my life without 1 single launch. But, I digress, the JROTC had a Rocketry Club. And being the chief ROTCer, I had to be in it. We did As - Cs. I recovered a few, I blew up a few, I got a badge, I was happy.

Just recently as my son turned 8, I decided to get him into it. Like Craig, launching Ds made me never want to launch As - Cs again. Then an E made me never want to do a D. And now, I'm considering going for a level 1 certification. I tell ya, it grows on ya hard. Well anyway. I hope you find The Rocketry Forum a good experience.

I got started in the hobby in 1977 and built mostly Estes kits in my first few years, with the occasional foray into scratchbuilding whenever we finished off a roll of paper towels. I lost interest in college when I discovered beer, cars and occasionally girls. (The kid to whom I bequeathed my prized collection has no recollection of them.) I got back in when a $.99 Estes Ninja caught my eye at the closing of a hobby shop in 1994. My son was 4 at the time and I thought it was time to introduce him to the hobby. We launched a few times in the intervening years, but I got back into things for real this year after discovering JimZ's plan site and E-Bay. Since then I've been trying to rebuild the fleet of my youth and add all of the rockets that my lack of funds prevented me from owning back then.
I'll leave it at that for now. This forum is a great idea. Best of luck with it.

So that is two thing we have in common. It has been a long while since I have been on the HTF. But I know PGerringer visit quite often still. I was CRitchie on the HTF.

I'm a BAR like most, I built my first rocket in scouts and then went on my own and flew for a while.. not shure how long.. but it was all A's through C motors.
Now I'm 29 and I've been back into the hobby about 5 yrs. About 3yrs ago I built my first mid-powered rocket, a LOC StartBurst, I called "Puppy Power" and painted like a dalmation, with 2) 24mm motor tubes. I flew it the first time at the Fall launch with Team 1 from Mich., I believe the first was 2) E30's then a few other launches.. and then on the last day of the two day event, I flew it on a set of F101's.. WOW... that's say's it.. I was ready for bigger motors right then and now. And after that rocket I was hooked on cluster's.. I think they'r the greatest.
This past summer I just earned my NAR L2 on my scratch built upscale of the Estes HeatSeeker on a J350w. I'm real active in the club I'm part of Tripoli Michiana, and hope to be elected Vise Prefect , this coming year.
:p

Nice rocket. I like the paint job.

Man some of your guys look like you have great places to launch. Here in the Piedmont of NC you're lucky to have a few acres of cleared land. Most of it is trees, rolling hills, creeks and cow pastures.

Well, based on everyone's comments, I think I am the least experienced member on the forum. I was drawn into this fun by the two originators of this forum in December of 2000. I am trying to get my two nephews more involved in rocketry (it isn't taking much arm twisting). I really am quite a novice, having only built a couple of rockets - but this is fun. I am sticking to the C-engines for now, but am really learning a lot by reading all the great comments here.

Shutterbug, you may be novice, but you know how to have fun. Folks, I have seen her in action and she has the heart of a rocketeer. :)

I don't know if I'd say that Shutterbug.

After living in Dallas and seeing a couple guys I knew there launch some rockets, the seed got planted and it's taken me until 2 weeks ago to get myself going.

I just finished my first 3 rockets. One was an Estes starter kit that had a twister and another small rocket that I forget the name of now. and I also did an Estes Mach 12 (it was on sale with 3 B4-4 engines for $10).

A friend of mine who also bought the Mach 12 special went out yesterday here in High Point, NC to a soccer field that is under construction and just outside of city limits. With about 4" of snow on the ground and we launched all 4 of our rockets about 4-5 times each with the exception of the little (7") Estes Twister that flew great with an A8-3. So we decided to try one of the B4's in it. Impressive liftoff, it soared up in a hurry and we could see the separation smoke and then it was gone. We did find both pieces eventually, but the bottom half ended up fusing to the engine casing and we were not able to get it off.

Anyway, that is the story of my first launch. I'd love to hook up with the others in the Triad area to launch away!

Jase

Jase,
We are all the time launching in your area during the warmer months. Usually we go to Salisbury where there is a big field. Keep an eye out in the Events forum for our next launch.

BTW: Ever been to Whitakers NC? https://www.whitakershpr.org is where we go to launch the biguns. Sure it is a 3 hour trip, but worth every second.

BTW: Ken and Mark are in Kernersville, and I am in Winston Salem. Shutterbug lives around here too. I think she is in GSO. So we are all neighbors.

I was looking at the site earlier today. I'm looking forward to seeing the 2002 schedule to see when I can make it out there!

Hey, I'm a few days late but I made it- haha. Like all these other guys I started out in my teens with an Estes Alpha and made the usual A to D motor trek. I too was in JROTC, senior ROTC (scary huh?) and Boy Scouts and we did several projects with rocketry and aerodynamics. I was interested in flying and got my license with hopes of attending the US Air Force Academy. I then discovered girls and didn't touch rockets for many years. My son just is nearly 5 so the rocket bug bit me anew about 6 months back. Aerotech is my new friend (haha) as well as PML and Launch Pad.

Welcome to the forum Greg_R. You'll find these guys to be the most helpful and nicest in any hobby. And as far as a few being certified? Well, I think they meant "certifiable."

Enjoy.

Marc:D

PS- Unlike these other lucky dudes, I live in Southern California where rockets are something you see in movies, not launch. Our biggest nearby field is a sad and pathetic little baseball diamond. And seeing as how North Carolina seems to be the rocketry capital of the world, I'm considering a move there. To heck with the career, just show me to the empty fields.

Certifiable? Hey..... I resemble that remark.

Soooo... you're thinking of changing from a right-coaster to a left-coaster, huh? Leaving the land of the fruits and nuts to join the certifiable?

COME ON DOWN !!!!

If we're not here when you arrive, dial 1-800-WE-WENT-LAUNCHING. We'll leave a light on for ya.

From a bystander: "you're launching a WHAT?" Are you crazy? Is that legal? Hey kids, ahhh...come inside please...this nut...er...guy is going to 'launch a rocket'. Lets stay away from him, k?"

Yeah, to heck with paying my mortgage and to heck with the music business. I'm gonna live in a tent and just ride my bicycle to the East Coast with my handful of rockets. No showers, food, nothin'. Just the whooosh of those G-motors warming my heart. I'll make North Carolina the new Music Capital Of The World!!! (cue music).

Will you guys get me out of jail?

See I knew I could count on you.

A friend will get you out of jail.

A true friend will be in there with you.

Greetings everyone...

I just thought I would blow the dust off of this thread and add my $.02.

I just posted my introduction/bio in the Coffee House forum. LOTS of links to my pictures can be found there. Check out the "New to 'Rocketry Forum'" thread I started there.

I had a 4 year absence in rocketry. Like all good rocketeers, all it took was to blow the dust off of a broken bird, repair the bruises, and send her up.

Back