RocketReviewdotCom's Most Egregious Failure I've Seen To Date...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's pretty bad.
I can pull a Vagabond from my kit stash and do scans if you need 'em, but probably not until after my wife and I get back from the TARC finals that will be flown next Saturday.

That's pretty bad.
I can pull a Vagabond from my kit stash and do scans if you need 'em, but probably not until after my wife and I get back from the TARC finals that will be flown next Saturday.

Thanks for the offer, but there's no need. My sim was completed some time ago, and JimZ has a good copy too.

Someone on FB had a damaged fin, and someone else posted that image from RRdC. A totally useless file if you're looking to accurately restore, or clone, a kit.

It was for that reason, I opted to make my files exclusive. I want folks to be confident in the files that have my name linked on.

Last edited:
If I was the one that posted the link in Facebook to that design file, I apologize for not taking a closer look first and will try to be more careful in the future.

The RocketReviews.com OpenRocket and RockSim library provides an index of design files available on the internet like Google, but optimized for RockSim and OpenRocket files. It is not a curated library and was never designed to be one. It is a resource making it easier to find and share designs.

The designs are created by many different individuals for many different purposes. Some are designed to accurately reflect the way a model looks, often at the expense of how well it simulates a real flight. Others are created as quick and dirty boilerplates in order to run an approximate simulation. Some accurately model a specific as-built rocket. Many model specific kits, but most are custom designs.

Each visitor to RocketReviews.com will have different needs and desires. So, RocketReviews.com provides an index allowing you to more easily find and sort through the files available online. It is a search tool. How you use it is up to you.

Also, the site does offer the ability to enter comments, so if you do find an issue with a design file, you can leave a comment to help others.

Last edited:
Rocket Reviews is a great site. If that's the "Most Egregious Failure", life is good.

I gotta ask @K'Tesh, did you drop them an email with the corrected version?

I made sure to point the OP (and the person who posted that image) on the FB page to both here (and my sim of the kit) and to JimZ's site. I've personally given up on using RRdC's site for anything. I'm focusing my energy on getting accurate info here, and to JimZ's site. With my own sims, and his files, there's few, if any, issues as to the source. Maintaining my own files is pretty difficult as it is to be trying to correct something as large as that site.

And remember folks... I'm not paid for the services I provide either, and I've offered a number of improved files to both here (where I have paid to do so (as in being a TRF Supporter), and to JimZ's site.

Last edited:
I made sure to point the OP (and the person who posted that image) on the FB page to both here (and my sim of the kit) and to JimZ's site. I've personally given up on using RRdC's site for anything.
Hmm. Since you're the town crier, ya really owe it to RocketReviews to point out any issues. It wouldn't taken any more effort than posting about it here.

It's kind of a karma thing.

Hmm. Since you're the town crier, ya really owe it to RocketReviews to point out any issues. It wouldn't taken any more effort than posting about it here.

It's kind of a karma thing.
Well, now that you put it like that... I guess we do have that site to blame for me trying to do things better. If it wasn't for a F'd up sim of a kit I was trying to restore on my own (I lost the fins), I'd have not gotten into OR as much as I have.

Your post was rude and histrionic.
Rack it up to one of "The Joys of Autism".

I was trying to help someone... I was trying to ensure that they got the info they needed for the purpose they specifically requested. I was also trying to prevent someone else from falling into the same trap I did with one of that site's sim's... Ruined balsa, and the disappointment in a botched job. I did glue the fins I cut out from the file found on RRdC's site, and messed up my own (at the time) limited source of materials. Fortunately, I didn't go so far as to ruin the decals I had for the kit I was trying to finish.

I've also seen that the OP of the FB post has seen my answer to his problem, and got a like from him for it.

Last edited:
Rack it up to one of "The Joys of Autism".

I was trying to help someone... I was trying to ensure that they got the info they needed for the purpose they specifically requested. I was also trying to prevent someone else from falling into the same trap I did with one of that site's sim's... Ruined balsa, and the disappointment in a botched job. I did glue the fins I cut out from the file found on RRdC's site, and messed up my own (at the time) limited source of materials. Fortunately, I didn't go so far as to ruin the decals I had for the kit I was trying to finish.
Why not just rack it up to making a mistake, acknowledge it, and take the high ground?

Folks today have more excuses than Carter's has liver pills.

Rocketreviews, JimZ, Ye Olde Rocketshop, K'Tesh Designworks are all valuable tools I've used at one time or another. No "eregious failures" there IMO. I feel compelled to add that, on occasion, I've warned NOOBs about unsimmable files among the K'Tesh offerings.

Guys... The person who asked on FB was looking to replace a fin for his rocket. He wanted to be able to fly it again... He wasn't looking for flight performance. He was looking for an accurate shape.

The image that someone shared with him, from RRdC, looks nothing like the correct shape for the fin. There may be something that you all find useful on that site, but *THAT* fin shape shouldn't be considered one of them.

Remember, that I'm trying to accurately reproduce the way the thing looks. I tell folks when the sim cannot be used for flight data. And I also tell folks how to make them work for flight data, if possible. If they're not able to produce flight data, then I (generally) leave it to my trust that the manufacturer ensured that the designs they came up with were safe before putting them out in the world.

But, if you don't like my files... Fine don't use them. There's nothing forcing you to use them.

Last edited:
Guys... The person who asked on FB was looking to replace a fin for his rocket. He wanted to be able to fly it again... He wasn't looking for flight performance. He was looking for an accurate shape.

Looking for an accurate shape? He had (3). Take a piece of cardstock... and trace the shape from one of the other (3) fins still on the rocket.

But, if you don't like my files... Fine don't use them. There's nothing forcing you to use them.

I'm betting the folks at RocketReview would say the same thing, to you.

People in Glass Houses... and all that jazz.

Last edited:
I don't care who does the sim/build. I never use someone else's file.

I design in Inventor, get Cp info from OpenRocket or RASAero, and adjust the design back-and-forth a few times. When it's time to build, I'll weight out each part including epoxies, swivels, shock cord, and adjust my Inventor file to get the final weight and Cg. Then I'll transfer that Cg back to OpenRocket (<mach 0.8) or RASAero (>mach 0.8) for a final sim to get a range of motors and altitude.

All sites offering sims/designs should be used only for gathering ideas in my opinion. If you want accuracy, you have to rely on yourself.

Back