Rocketpoxy Bad??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Epoxy resins like 4100 and West will crystalize when stored in cold temperatures. Garage storage in 40 degree California winters is enough to do it for my stash. But it's reversible just by warming it up. Is it possible that this is what's going on with the Rocketpoxy? I have some of that but haven't started using it for much yet.

I might just like this rocketpoxy stuff when I learn to use it :)

Attachments

• rocketpoxy fillets 001.JPG
    rocketpoxy fillets 001.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 92
  • rocketpoxy fillets 003.JPG
    rocketpoxy fillets 003.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 87
Never had RP crystallize on me but here in SD it stays pretty warm most of the time. You do have to be aware of the rated 18 month shelf life...you can exceed that by maybe 50% but the hardener gets very stiff and separates. It will still cure if you stir up the components before mixing, but the mechanical mixing gets really difficult. It seems rather temperature and age sensitive for pot life.

There's apparently a huge variation in actual vs. recommended shelf life of epoxies and their curatives. I have a half-filled quart of Fibre Glast 20-minute curative that was given to me about 10 years ago, and it wasn't new then. Had to punch a hole in the very-rusty cap to get some out. It still cures generic laminating epoxy to a very rigid product at the 100:23 ratio on the can.

I've posted this thought before, but IMHO most epoxies are so very strong compared to the substrates used in hobby rocketry, that buying a name brand is rarely necessary....unless (a) you like some specific properties of the epoxy you're buying, or (b) you're doing an extreme project, such as a mach-plus minimum diameter with surface-glued fins.

Best -- Terry

Never had RP crystallize on me but here in SD it stays pretty warm most of the time. You do have to be aware of the rated 18 month shelf life...you can exceed that by maybe 50% but the hardener gets very stiff and separates. It will still cure if you stir up the components before mixing, but the mechanical mixing gets really difficult. It seems rather temperature and age sensitive for pot life.

That's interesting.

My leftover hardener is definitely thick, but still stirrable, the resin on the other hand has a very thick pasty layer at the bottom of the container that I need a warm water bath and much massaging with a popsicle stick to break up

That's interesting.

My leftover hardener is definitely thick, but still stirrable, the resin on the other hand has a very thick pasty layer at the bottom of the container that I need a warm water bath and much massaging with a popsicle stick to break up
I've experienced the same. I do have a kit that's gotta be 2 years old with maybe 3/16" left on the bottoms of the "tubs" that's fairly ugly. Sill works fine, so instead of tossing it I just use it where it'll never be seen. And let's not even mention those cursed foam lid protectors....

Back